Page 1 of 64 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

2017 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

I figured it was about time to start a new thread for this upcoming season, seeing as the custom orders are being fulfilled as we speak and should be shipping to some soon. Last update I had from Keith indicated my Quixotes and Protests should be shipping in the next week or two.

http://praxisskis.com/

Post in this thread for general stoke, questions, mounting information, and reviews for Praxis Skis.

If you're a new Praxis purchaser, you can get a referral link from from members on here to create your account and get 15% off your first order. Win-win for everyone. Myself or other members will gladly send a link for the code if you private message us on here.

Below are past Praxis Threads with tons of great info in them. Also check out Praxis' Facebook page for more ski pics (check out the Veneer Graphics Album). As always, email Keith (owner of Praxis' skis) for advice on which ski/core/flex/veneer, graphics might work for you (can find his email on the website).

2013-Praxis-Skis

2014-Praxis-Skis-review-mounting-resource-guide

The-2015-Praxis-skis-info-and-reviews-thread

2016-PRAXIS-info-mounting-and-resource-guide
    Last edited by Muggydude; 07-21-2017 at 11:12 AM.

Muggy thanks for pulling this all together. Great history and knowledge here.

Very nice collection up there ^ can't wait for my PJs

Only thing I would add is I heard Rontele has codes for 30% percent off, PMs still apply

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Very nice collection up there ^ can't wait for my PJs

Only thing I would add is I heard Rontele has codes for 30% percent off, PMs still apply
    Haa, 3D referral chess.I think you might have just given muggy a stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Praxis Rx
    Fuck I laughed.
    Life is not lift served.

Holeeeey shit that's one hell of a resource, good on ya mug! Oddly somewhat ok with not being able expand the quiver this season with my almost new Q's looking all sexy and randy, staring at me every time I walk in the garage. This is always one of my favorite threads, so I will be very happily following along as usual.... shit, now I already want a new pair. Fuckin Praxis, like a god damn tattoo, soon as you get a good one you immediately want another one. Keith puts heroin in those fuckers I swear.
    Concept
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Anyone have any insight into how to determine the approximate weight of a custom build? Contact Keith?

Also what is the difference between "ultralight w/carbon" and "enduro w/carbon" ?

I know for the larger powder skis going to the heavy core adds about a lb or so. Easiest way is to look at the stock ski weights, then add/subtract weight for core, carbon, flex. Adding carbon subtracts about 4-5 oz, veneer subtracts about 4-8 oz per pair.

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    Also what is the difference between "ultralight w/carbon" and "enduro w/carbon" ?
    Different cores. Both use a mix of Paulownia, Maple, and Ash but the UL has much more of the former and less of the heavier woods. I don't recall exactly what the weight savings on the UL is but it is significant, at the expense of dampness.

Anyone have any insight into how to determine the approximate weight of a custom build? Contact Keith?

For reference my 182 gpo ul carbons weigh 8.1lbs and my map(enduro)core non carbon 182 gpo's weigh 8.6lbs. Neither have veneer

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    For reference my 182 gpo ul carbons weigh 8.1lbs and my map(enduro)core non carbon 182 gpo's weigh 8.6lbs. Neither have veneer
    Interesting. What flex, if you don't mind my asking?

For what it's worth I am considering a 182 UL flex 3 GPO w/the most weight-saving veneer and hoping it'll be sub 4 lbs a ski, sounds like it'll be alright, but if say the 187 or the 4 flex added negligible weight I'd be keen on that too... I just know realistically about 1800g is as much as I'm gonna tolerate for a purely touring ski, even on deep days, so I am looking for the breakdown I guess lol.

For what it's worth I am considering a 182 UL flex 3 GPO w/the most weight-saving veneer and hoping it'll be sub 4 lbs a ski, sounds like it'll be alright, but if say the 187 or the 4 flex added negligible weight I'd be keen on that too... I just know realistically about 1800g is as much as I'm gonna tolerate for a purely touring ski, even on deep days, so I am looking for the breakdown I guess lol.
    You might be a touch over 8lbs in a 4 flex. Mine are 4 flex. I actually have less trouble with the touring ski in a 4 than my on hill enduro core. If I have a lazy day or am tired or sore and I get back on my tails on the hill and they spank me pretty quick. Bit of power in the 4 flex tails combined with the hill base seems like less room for error. They like to be driven. The ul in thebackcountry in a 4 flex are relatively easy going . Really don't like the ul's on the hill though, especially in spring if there is refrozen underneath they get tossed. As a dedicated touring ski I like the ul 4. Veneer does add dampness also. Im having a brain fart too, someone bought supre chickens veneer ul's in a 187 and I'd guess that'd be a 4 flex. I think it was "riff".Chicken probably knows the weight and riff probably has some good beta on their skiability(exact ski your looking at). Maybe they'll see this and chime in

Edited: riff has veneer 187 ul gpo 4 flex
    Last edited by grinch; 07-24-2017 at 01:20 AM.

I have 182 FLex 3 UL GPO's. Regular topsheet. 4.0 lbs. Wonderful skis. So easy. So competent.

I do have chicken's old ul gpo's. I didn't get them until pretty late last season, but I can echo the prevailing sentiment that the ul core doesn't manage choppy or re-frozen surfaces as well. I had a pair of regular cores I should have held on to, one of each would cover most of my skiing. The ul works great, just a lower speed limit. And yes, the veneer gives me a boner for sure. They had the octopus graphics and a limited run serial number as members of the first batch of veneers; call me names if you want but I sanded it all off and refinished them as straight maple. Best looking ski ever.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

In fact, when I get home from work, I'm going to get them out and have a moment of mid summer appreciation. Thanks for the reminder.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

My 182, flex #4, MAP/Carbon GPOs (plastic top sheet) have been fine inbounds. Yes, they deflect a bit more than my 184 Billy Goats, but it's tough to say how much the carbon comes into play when comparing them (GPOs) against a ski that has magic (RES) tips and about about 1.6 Lbs. more mass per pair. The GPOs come in at about 8.9 Lbs. per pair on my digital bathroom scale.

BTW, in some Spring testing of a pair of 177 Nanuqs, I found the GPOs to be much quicker in tight spaces, and yet much more stable. The latter isn't surprising, but the former was. The only "advantage" the Nanuqs have is in the weight department.

I've never skied a Praxis with an all glass layup, so I can't say if I'd prefer them. After going way over the top (for me) last Summer with Freerides (184, Maple/Ash, Flex #4, Veneer, all glass) , I was a bit shy about deviating from my "winning" formula again, so I ordered my 182 Q's the same way as my GPOs: 182, flex #4, Enduro/Carbon (adding a veneer top).

These comments make me wonder about deleting the carbon (if it's not too late), but the fact that the Q's are purported to run a bit faster and deflect less than GPOs make me think that I made the right decision for me. I've never been on a UL Praxis, but from comments here, the idea of a UL Protest is catching my attention ...

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 07-28-2017 at 06:37 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I don't know, I really do dig my UL's and 92% of the time in the BC they fuckin kill it and if I have to be honest with myself the weight and short length (182) is ridiculously dope on the up and I've been thoroughly impressed the handful of times they've seen resort usage. What gets me is that 8%, it's only been once or twice when I really wanted to open it up on some really big lines that I hit a speed limit for sure. In my book they're soooooo damn good on the up and 92% of the time in the down I'm certainly not replacing them but I often question what I'd do different. I really do think that I would go carbon 187 veneer skip the UL and take the weight penalty with the 4 flex (currently 3+). But all that being said, I am stoopid happy with my current touring rig and won't be changing anything anytime soon. FWIW I seriously think anyone would be hard pressed to find a better BC ride than the GPO.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    My 182, flex #4, MAP/Carbon GPOs (plastic top sheet) have been fine inbounds. Yes, they deflect a bit more than my 184 Billy Goats, but it's tough to say how much the carbon comes into play when comparing them (GPOs) against a ski that has a magic (RES) tips and about about 1.6 Lbs. more mass per pair. The GPOs come in at about 8.9 Lbs. per pair on my digital bathroom scale.

BTW, in some Spring testing of a pair of 177 Nanuqs, I found the GPOs to be much quicker in tight spaces, and yet much more stable. The latter isn't surprising, but the former was. The only "advantage" the Nanuqs have is in the weight department.

I've never skied a Praxis with an all glass layup, so I can't say if I'd prefer them. After going way over the top (for me) last Summer with Freerides (184, Maple/Ash, Flex #4, Veneer, all glass) , I was a bit shy about deviating from my "winning" formula again, so I ordered my 182 Q's the same way as my GPOs: 182, flex #4, Enduro/Carbon (adding a veneer top).

These comments make me wonder about deleting the carbon (if it's not too late), but the fact that the Q's are purported to run a bit faster and deflect less than GPOs make me think that I made the right decision for me. I've never been on a UL Praxis, but from comments here, the idea of a UL Protest is catching my attention ...

... Thom
    You are doing that paralysis by analysis thing again... Trust your instincts as you are the only one who knows how you ski and what you like... To me what you have, changing and ordering make perfect sense... I love my Qs, but holyshit are my custom GPOs still the perfect quiver of one... Stay the course...

And I am still not surprised you did not like your custom Freerides... In my humble opinion Keith needs to rework his sub 105 skis... I have a custom pair of 190 BCs and my ON3P Wren 98s run circles around them... So much so I ordered 189 108s... Now with that said I have the last gen 191 Billy's and as much as I love them no way would I take them over my GPOs or Qs...

And as much as Flowing Alpy will hate to hear this the the RX needs to be updated...
    Last edited by Undertow; 07-25-2017 at 08:54 PM.

Point taken (paralysis by analysis). Yes, after posting above, I talked myself down off the ledge and am going to stand pat - keeping the carbon. It's worked well for me in the GPOs. I have a sense that my Q's may render my Goats redundant, but I won't cry if they don't ;-)

Damn! I love those GPOs, and also consider them to be a quiver of one They'll now shift duty to touring and I'm possibly more excited about that than I am about my soon to arrive Q's.

The Freerides (to my 165 Lb. body) felt like planks, and Keith agreed that because of the tails, gnarly bumps are not their ideal habitat (at least in a flex #4). My problem was that in low tide days (when I'd bring them out) I was likely to find myself in them (bumps) enough to ruin my day.

I think that this mid-100's width is somewhat of a red headed step-child for Keith as he admits to loving skis in the mid-teens (Rx, GPO, Q). He spends his time seeking out soft snow. There's only so much a small team can do, and it's natural to pay the most attention to what stokes you.

It's been a while since I demoed Wrens, but my recollection is that they're more dialed in for what works for me in a mid-100's ski as well. When I spec'd out the Freerides, my thinking was "what ski in the Praxis lineup is like a Wren?"

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 07-26-2017 at 03:19 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I'll be waiting to hear feedback/comments from more people who ordered skinny RX for this season.....

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    And as much as Flowing Alpy will hate to hear this the the RX needs to be updated...
    How do you think they need to be changed? The only thing I want is less camber—like 2mm instead of 5mm.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

For a skinny RX I feel the profile is spot on, but for a 116 underfoot ski I feel more tip rocker is needed... I consider the RX a POW ski as much as it is a big mountain charger and the tip rocker is minimal...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    In my humble opinion Keith needs to rework his sub 105 skis
    Can't comment on any of the backcountry oriented models (BC, Yeti) or the carvers (9D8, 9D), but Piste Jib with the heavy core is an awesomely capable and super fun resort ski. I'm really excited to get back on mine this year. I've always wanted to get on a Wren, the 108 looks absolutely amazing.