Page 58 of 64 FirstFirst ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 1600
    Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    how do you feel about the carbon in the enduro core?
    Opinions seem to vary here. I don't think my skiing is at a finesse level where I could ski identical skis with and without carbon and correctly identify which is which. The small weight savings is worth $50 to me.

I think carbon is awesome in soft snow and terrifying, without veneer, in garbage snow. For example, unripe corn and chickenheads are pretty sketchy on carbon since the tips and tails of the skis are so lively.

Others here have indicated that veneer settles these nervous qualities of carbon.

My carbon layup is also older, from 2011, but I get the sense it hasn’t changed much in terms of skiing quality.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    I think carbon is awesome in soft snow and terrifying, without veneer, in garbage snow. For example, unripe corn and chickenheads are pretty sketchy on carbon since the tips and tails of the skis are so lively.
    Well, when I find myself skiing refrozen crud and the like, it ain't pretty. Carbon or no carbon, my goal is to get down with my ACLs in tact.

Having skied the Q’s in a enduro and a heavy + carbon, I have to say I am not a fan of the carbon. While heavier and somewhat damper, the camber makes the ski very energetic and tiring to ski(atleast for me). You can really feel the ski rebound hard when skiing through variable.

Does anyone know how much carbon Keith adds? Full width?

I agree with Schralph re: carbon qualities. I only have one pair of MAP/c skis (GPO) and they're mounted with Ions for soft/fresh.

The Freerides are MAP with Tectons and those ski great in any conditions. The new enduro cores are maple ash aspen (?). No idea how aspen varies from paulowina. I'm also sold on veneers; placebo or not the skis feel better.

I used to only get black bases for the same reasons above; ease of repairs, irrational fear of die cut bases exploding. The first is a good enough reason, but yea, the second isn't an issue.

I pulled the new big red Protests out of the plastic today just for dirty fondling time. Interesting to compare the mount point to my old 188s. I'm definitely going on the line wtih these. I can't wait for the first huge snowfall (which is crazy to type while its around 100* outside)

N1ck, what makes you want to go on the line? Where are you at on the 188? I’m 102.5 from the tip on 188 which is about -1.7 and thinking about going -1.0 on my 192. Love the 188 where I have them.

somewhere between heavy and light with a neutral flex, kid friendly topsheet posessing a base that’ll grind a brick wall.
    Just my 2 cents, unless they’re for pow, jib, or bc I leave the carbon out. Also a fan of the veneer and will most likely order it on all my future purchases. Personally I think what you’re describing here is the Enduro/veneer. I haven’t been on the new MAA core but knowing Keith’s savvy I’m sure it’s better and I have always liked his MAP core. Very neutral consistent flex, the veneer will add a bit of dampness and lighten it up a tad and should be great everywhere.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by jmars View Post
    Well I’m pumped...Attachment 240153
    That’s the best his/hers I think I’ve ever seen, I can’t wait to hear how she digs the skinny’s, keep us posted!

thanks for the input on carbon. i feel as if i go without the carbon it won’t be as necessary to add veneer for dampness.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Just my 2 cents, unless they’re for pow, jib, or bc I leave the carbon out. Also a fan of the veneer and will most likely order it on all my future purchases. Personally I think what you’re describing here is the Enduro/veneer. I haven’t been on the new MAA core but knowing Keith’s savvy I’m sure it’s better and I have always liked his MAP core. Very neutral consistent flex, the veneer will add a bit of dampness and lighten it up a tad and should be great everywhere.
    Agree on the enduro/veneer what what flowing wants. I talked to Keith about carbon on my ProTest and he suggested to stay with the enduro/veneer build since I was lookin for a damp inbounds pow ski that didn’t weigh a ton.

what what i want is one that will ski swell like my UL
    but will be deflection free like the 1st gen OG heavys
    the ones that hold a line thru poopy maritime snow.
    I see what what you did there. Lol.
    Enduro veneer.......

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    N1ck, what makes you want to go on the line? Where are you at on the 188? I’m 102.5 from the tip on 188 which is about -1.7 and thinking about going -1.0 on my 192. Love the 188 where I have them.
    I had my 188 @ 102.5 as well. Keith told me his line for that ski would have been 'around' 101.5 (which I skied for a few years) then moved to what I considered -1, which I loved as well.

With the old/new skis laid next to another, and my old mount spot lined up with the new dot, I'll have basically the same amount of ski in front of my boot which I like, with a little bit more tail, and since Keith has made minor tweaks to the shape and sidecut since my old pair I'd like to stay on his recommended line, at least initially.

My GPO’s are resort skis. Carbon without veneer in a #4. Ski nice and damp.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

2017 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

I’m -1.5 on recent 192s
    There have been moments where thought about going back a touch

Most my other boards are on the line fwiw
    Also only been 1 season w/ them, so..

Nick and Luke, how tall heavy are you guys? Skiing style?

6’ 190 I like to point it. Thought I was a driver but think I’ve become more progressive. Some of my traditional skis have gone to +1 for example on Kastle fx95 hp 189 & Wren108 189. Love 189 goats on the line. Am -1.5 on GPOs as well.

My ProTests are enduro ash veneer #3

5'11 190#, getting old and ski mellow relative to some here. Becoming more of a neutral-stance skier but that varies based on ski/conditions. Not a flippy spinny guy. My GPO are -1. Freeride are on the line. These are enduro, ash veneer, #4.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    6’ 190 I like to point it. Thought I was a driver but think I’ve become more progressive. Some of my traditional skis have gone to +1 for example on Kastle fx95 hp 189 & Wren108 189. Love 189 goats on the line. Am -1.5 on GPOs as well.

My ProTests are enduro ash veneer #3

Cool. Skiing with you at BS, we ski similar’ish. I like to haul the mail as well. Pretty close in size also. My ProTest are enduro flex #4. I waver from a driver to progressive esp in soft snow on my ProTest.
    Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    5'11 190#, getting old and ski mellow relative to some here. Becoming more of a neutral-stance skier but that varies based on ski/conditions. Not a flippy spinny guy. My GPO are -1. Freeride are on the line. These are enduro, ash veneer, #4.
    Getting old here as well but my brain thinks different so I keep my body in shape to keep up with the brain. We are pretty close in size. I’m 5’10 and bounce between 190 and 195. Pushing 198 now though. I’ll be 190, maybe less by ski season.
    Thanks guys. Helps me with my mount point. I’ll have to put my 188’s next to the 192’s and ponder for a while before I take the plunge and drill them. Talked to Keith and he mentioned maybe -1 to -1.5 to match the feel of my 188’s.

Cool. Skiing with you at BS, we ski similar’ish. I like to haul the mail as well. Pretty close in size also. My ProTest are enduro flex #4. I waver from a driver to progressive esp in soft snow on my ProTest.
    That was fun hope to get chance and ski together again this year. Good looking sticks btw my pair is clean veneer as well.

That was fun hope to get chance and ski together again this year. Good looking sticks btw my pair is clean veneer as well.
    Agreed! I’ll be your way a time or two I hope. If you ever want to come over this way let me know.
    Thanks, I dig the clean look.

hahaha, so much for my decisiveness. I guess I'll ponder all Summer.

Agreed! I’ll be your way a time or two I hope. If you ever want to come over this way let me know.
    Thanks, I dig the clean look.
    I’m game- haven’t skied ID except SV. What’s your home Mtn again?

I’m game- haven’t skied ID except SV. What’s your home Mtn again?
    Silver but I ski Schweitzer quite a bit.
    Not sure how you’ll handle our lack of lift lines....

does veneer change flex or just dampness?
    Pretty sure keith adapths core thickness to keep flex as stated/requested with veneer so it only changes dampness. That's why it lightens the ski; it replaces both nylon topsheet as well as a bit of core material.

thanks guys! psyched to get a new set of skis, not used
    this’ll be my first new ski since my original Rx of 12/13
    after 500+ days of brutal treatment it’s time they retire.
    You’re due and deserve it. Praxis 50 off sale could be the best value in skis. My prescription arrives Tuesday and I’m beyond anxious..

What did you decide on build?