Page 21 of 64 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Aver -

Would yoi say they have the same top end? What type of skier would you recommend each ski to?
    Excited for a full writeup when you have skied them extensively.
    For sure considering a pair in heavy core flex #4 for next year.

Also does anyone have any experience on the heavy core but with carbon?

2017 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Aver -

Would yoi say they have the same top end? What type of skier would you recommend each ski to?
    Excited for a full writeup when you have skied them extensively.
    For sure considering a pair in heavy core flex #4 for next year.

Also does anyone have any experience on the heavy core but with carbon?
    Similar top end. Wrens feel a little more “poppy”, but also a little more locked in. Rx are stiffer, yet easier to turn.

They are both for the same type of skier. They like to go fast and straight, you gotta drive them or they’ll drive you.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Man the Rx are good. Seems like the Rx blends the sidecut better with rocker, allowing it to feel less locked in, and more pivotable when needed.

Giggity

Just picked up some older 184 Freerides. 2.5 sets of holes but appear to have barely been skied. Thinking what is missing from the quiver is actually 180 BC's. Anyone interested in a trade? Se my gearswap post for more details.

Anybody know if the base material or sourcing of material changed for the skis made in the summer of '17? My PJs do not seem to want to take wax at all. I've waxed them twice to date and both times they looked like they needed wax after 2-3 days which is unusual to me. I have a couple other skis that I'm on regularly and they stay good for much longer.

Would a base grind possibly fix this?

Other than that, I'm loving these things in any type of 3D conditions whether it be crud, bumps, or a couple inches of fresh. Can't wait to get them in some spring bumps.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Anybody know if the base material or sourcing of material changed for the skis made in the summer of '17? My PJs do not seem to want to take wax at all. I've waxed them twice to date and both times they looked like they needed wax after 2-3 days which is unusual to me. I have a couple other skis that I'm on regularly and they stay good for much longer.

Would a base grind possibly fix this?

Other than that, I'm loving these things in any type of 3D conditions whether it be crud, bumps, or a couple inches of fresh. Can't wait to get them in some spring bumps.
    The PJs needing wax every 2-3 days sounds like par for the course. The 4001 base material they use is hard and doesn't take wax all that well. The upside of the 4001 is that is tough and it can take a beating but the downside is it's dense and not very porous.

What's the hawt mounting position on a pair of OG protests? Don't give me +/- dimple anything, because there aren't any. I gave away my pair a year ago because I had another pair. Can't remember where the hell I mounted them though. These are the old black and red 188s. 104cm from the tip rings a bell.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

102.5 from the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    The PJs needing wax every 2-3 days sounds like par for the course. The 4001 base material they use is hard and doesn't take wax all that well. The upside of the 4001 is that is tough and it can take a beating but the downside is it's dense and not very porous.
    Makes sense, I didn't think of how the density would affect the porosity. Seems like I can get away with longer intervals between waxings with my RXs, but then again probably mostly ski those more on natural snow and not coarser man made glop.

Today was full on spring conditions here. I've been waiting to find my niche on the PJs this season. To be completely honest been pretty unimpressed with their hard snow performance. However, today I can't think of any ski I'd rather be on. The flex profile is absolutely perfect for soft bumps and spring crud. And they are sexy AF to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    What's the hawt mounting position on a pair of OG protests? Don't give me +/- dimple anything, because there aren't any. I gave away my pair a year ago because I had another pair. Can't remember where the hell I mounted them though. These are the old black and red 188s. 104cm from the tip rings a bell.
    102.5 from the tip.

Makes sense, I didn't think of how the density would affect the porosity. Seems like I can get away with longer intervals between waxings with my RXs, but then again probably mostly ski those more on natural snow and not coarser man made glop.

Today was full on spring conditions here. I've been waiting to find my niche on the PJs this season. To be completely honest been pretty unimpressed with their hard snow performance. However, today I can't think of any ski I'd rather be on. The flex profile is absolutely perfect for soft bumps and spring crud. And they are sexy AF to boot.

I would tend to agree about the hard and icy conditions in the east. I have the heavy carbon layup mount is on the dimple and I am sill learning but in steep varied terrain there quick to respond but I want more purchase on the glacier that is Vermont and I'm not feeling it

I am so negligent with tuning and waxing I have not really noticed the waxing issue you mentioned, but Kopi's explanation makes a lot sense.

I love that screaming bear, I have that on my Protests, but there hasn't been much call for the Protests this year so haven't seen them much.
    I've been on my piste jibs a lot these last couple weeks and been having a great time. The heavy layup I have really helps deaden the bone rattling turns across the the re-frozen corduroy. They are straight up awesome in the conditions you mention. Every year at this time I break down and demo some high end carving ski and get board after like 3 runs. What are you finding the lack in terms of hard snow performance?

All in all I really stoked on my what is turning out to be my 2 ski quiver. PJ and Q. Now if we could just get some snow that doesn't also include rain and freezing rain, I could bring out the Protests and bump it back up to 3.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    102.5 from the tip.
    Oh yeah? I'm going 103!

#HighwayToTheDangerzone

Thanks yo!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

yea, you'll probably explode.
    101.5 would have been "the line" on the 188s, so this is -1. You're -1.5 might spell disaster, might not. Only one way to find out.
    How the hell did you hang on to an old unused pair for this long?

-1.5 should be money imo

Again, I'm 102.5. 5'10" 195lbs. The mount point is perfect.
    Pretty sure death is imminent at 103.

I still have my OG Red / Black Protest, currently unmounted, but I can meausre where the mount point was. Is it straight pull from the tip that we are talking about ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    yea, you'll probably explode.
    101.5 would have been "the line" on the 188s, so this is -1. You're -1.5 might spell disaster, might not. Only one way to find out.
    How the hell did you hang on to an old unused pair for this long?
    A buddy had a pair and since I'd been skiing mine for like 10 years till they'd turned into paper towels, he offered them to me.

I know the skis well, I literally bought like pair number 5 when he first started pressing them. I just don't remember where I mounted the damn things and I was too stupid to check before I gave my old pair away.

But thanks y'all!

Been skiing my GPO’s with the stock tune, detuned just the tip and tail. I don’t find them to be to sharp at all. Seem to have great hold on the hardpack and not at all grabby in the soft stuff. When a groomer is wide open you can fly with (for me) great angles using the natural radius. Super fun!

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Where are people mountain 194 Freerides, or 195 Super Freerides? I’m struggling on them hard, lots of tip dive, the tail won’t hold a carve in pow or cut up pow, and they are grabby. I’ve tried to detune the tip and tail from the stock tune, but I’m getting no where. Today (8-12 inches of wind blow pow) was why I wanted them, but I couldn’t make them work

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Where are people mountain 194 Freerides, or 195 Super Freerides? I’m struggling on them hard, lots of tip dive, the tail won’t hold a carve in pow or cut up pow, and they are grabby. I’ve tried to detune the tip and tail from the stock tune, but I’m getting no where. Today (8-12 inches of wind blow pow) was why I wanted them, but I couldn’t make them work
    Did you check to see if the base is flat? My buddy is trying to figure out his Freerides (184) and struggled on the few days he's used them.

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    Did you check to see if the base is flat? My buddy is trying to figure out his Freerides (184) and struggled on the few days he's used them.
    I need to take them to the shop to check that and get a tune I can handle on them before I shoot Keith an email. Something is up and they just are awkward to ski. I deducted it wasn’t the conditions because next lap I switched back to my 203 cm Shiros and had a blast.

I recently mounted some older 184 Freerides at the current recommended line and they feel too far forward. Too turny with nothing to drive. I could reuse holes to go to minus 3. That seems pretty far back but the line isn't working for me. May also sell/trade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I recently mounted some older 184 Freerides at the current recommended line and they feel too far forward. Too turny with nothing to drive. I could reuse holes to go to minus 3. That seems pretty far back but the line isn't working for me. May also sell/trade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app
    I moved mine from the suggest line to -2 and they still arent great. I still feel like the tail is huge and they are unpredictable, they hook and go and aren’t fun to ski at all.