Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    The Santa Cruz demo trailers are touring Canada now so I helped out locally this last weekend. Interestingly none of the bikes (Hightowers and Tallboys that convert to the +) had Plus wheel sets and no spares even to try. It sounds like last year the demo fleet WAS doing Plus but there was little interest and SC sales for both bikes have been very skewed to 29er builds so they didn't even bother outfitting with Plus this season.

I would say however, amongst the intermediate riders that deal with my lbs (SC dealer), there has been quite a bit of interest in the Plus setups. When you're not interested in speed they really appreciate the extra traction provided.

I think the rolling resistance concern is funny as it seems every new bike review says "giving up some climbing speed/efficiency, but that's not what it's built for...when the trail heads down..."
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I don't think you have a firm grasp on how much bikes cost and weigh these days. And if you're not racing, why does rolling resistance matter?
    Rolling resistance, David, is a feminist issue.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Not all of them want do nothing well granny bikes and if that's what you were selling to them you must have been a pretty piss poor salesman because you never listened to their needs and only sold what you had. What about the other 25% that want to ride trails, nothing aggressive but trails nonetheless, and pretty much every inexpensive mt bike out there is what most of us would consider to be a pretty upright seating position.

Carbon rims are necessary to make them viable? Really? Why only high end tires and what's with the incorrect perception of higher rolling resistance than any other mt bike tire? You who purports to have such a deep knowledge of different tires and how they perform should know that different compounds, knob heights and patterns will determine that. You should also know that if a tire is run at the right pressure the 'resistance' on a wide tire won't be any higher than on a narrower one especially if the outer diameter is greater which creates a shorter contact patch and therefore lower resistance.

Take a lap. Really...
    The Stache 5 cited above uses a SUNringlé Duroc 50 SL rim, it's aluminum, 46mm internal width and weighs a preposterous 655g claimed, with a $129.99 MSRP each because they really only made a handful of them. UC shows less than 10 in stock (BTI sourced), really only for repairs, because nobody would bother buying it aftermarket:

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=80561

Nobody has used a 650g rim for any sort of mountain bike racing that I'm aware of, since around 2000, when Mavic EX729's were a somewhat desirable but heavy DH rim to have at 675g:

https://shop.mavic.com/en-us/ex-729-...3283&1035=3504

They do use a 850g tire which isn't all that heavy by enduro tire standards, at a $95 price. Too bad they cut sidewalls if you look at them wrong and have such tiny knobs they are useless on anything loose:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...a-tlr/p/12343/

How does this possibly make any sense???

For that kind of money, 95%+ of people would be far better served by a Stan's ZTR Crest MK3 (364g in 29") with some tubeless ready Rocket Ron's (610g in 29x2.25"). Totally great for most trail riding and MUCH faster. That's literally 2.3 lb lighter. Take off another half pound or so for 26" wheels.....
    Last edited by Damian Sanders; 07-25-2017 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I think the rolling resistance concern is funny as it seems every new bike review says "giving up some climbing speed/efficiency, but that's not what it's built for...when the trail heads down..."
    My 29lb 6" travel all mountain bike climbs OK and actually crushes downhills without pinballing off anything and everything like a plus bike.

I have three pairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    What serious skier (besides racers) even skis 75mm wide skis anymore?
    I use them when teaching kids on groomers. It's fun to lay down rail road tracks some days. I'm still on 26" mavics. I've tried wider and 27.5 and low pressure and I've had problems with each. That said, it could just be that I am comfortable with what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    It sells because it's good and FUN. I don't expect you or DS to feel the same way or even understand, you guys are born contrarians. You can criticize all you want and I expect nothing less.
    So your answer is YES, it's all about selling.

Got it.

"Contrarian" is a word you should look up before using.

"Hedonistic, narcissistic optimist" is a term you should speak when you look in the mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by tom tuttle from tacoma washington View Post
    As CF would say, Pussy.

Ya know if you get up in the mountains, it is a good bit cooler and the air is cleaner.
    Much less so in Missoula vs Bozeman.
    Trails are practically in town.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Superstar Components rep annihilates bike industry hype-cancer train

My wife's 27.5 sure looks sweet:

And in 10 years when I can't get 27.5 wheel or fork parts for it, (which won't happen), she'll ride the next thing.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    The Santa Cruz demo trailers are touring Canada now so I helped out locally this last weekend. Interestingly none of the bikes (Hightowers and Tallboys that convert to the +) had Plus wheel sets and no spares even to try. It sounds like last year the demo fleet WAS doing Plus but there was little interest and SC sales for both bikes have been very skewed to 29er builds so they didn't even bother outfitting with Plus this season.

I would say however, amongst the intermediate riders that deal with my lbs (SC dealer), there has been quite a bit of interest in the Plus setups. When you're not interested in speed they really appreciate the extra traction provided.
    The Hightowers were set up as + bikes when they rolled through Snowmass a few weeks ago.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    The Hightowers were set up as + bikes when they rolled through Snowmass a few weeks ago.
    I think I mentioned before: when Pivot came through, the Switchblades were set up with +...and they had no super-boosty boost 29" wheels to test.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post

And in 10 years when I can't get 27.5 wheel or fork parts for it, (which won't happen), she'll ride the next thing.
    X-Kings?!? Those tires will kill her...

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Much less so in Missoula vs Bozeman.
    Trails are practically in town.
    But since I never ride, it doesn't matter where the trails are. I am always on the sofa, fantasizing about MTBing or skiing, while typing what I think are superior putdowns on TGR.
    I added that last bit, to flesh out the truth.

You're welcome.

Still, that's your one advantage over Westchester County origins, eh? Sea level at home, 3200ft in Missoula. Cripes, you're practically in need of an 02 tank here, eh sherpa?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    X-Kings?!? Those tires will kill her...
    Hey! They're a: first-class competition and trail tyre combining safe cornering grip with easy rolling characteristics, with: versatile and easy-rolling profile which adapts perfectly to any surface

And he threw them on there for almost nothing to get the bike to us.

<snip>
    And he threw them on there for almost nothing to get the bike to us.
    Well sure he threw them on for nothing... 'cause that's about what they're worth.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Well sure he threw them on for nothing... 'cause that's about what they're worth.
    Now you're just starting to piss me off.

Sick glorified hybrid bro! That thing's really nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    You just specified precisely 0.1% of the mountain bike market, exactly like the quote in the original post.

A majority of people who are doing that type of riding want a more precise bike with better handling and more durable tires.

Then there is the rest of the mountain biking market who has absolutely no need to ride a boat anchor around on normal trails.

What about the people who ride a plus bike on flow trails? There is a special place in hell reserved for them.

Your typical 0.1%er on his plus bike:

Plus bikes remind me of the interest in fat bikes. 95% of the interest comes from over weight, out of shape yuppies who haven't ridden a bike in ten years. They think it looks SUPER AWESOME, buy one, ride it once, then it sits in their basement with all their other failed aspirations and broken dreams.
    Damian I would love to go for a ride with you sometime. Where are your local trails?

I started seriously mtbing about 2 years ago and a fat bike happened to feel the best when I needed to buy. Nope, I'm not fat. However I was unskilled then. Now it has over 2000 miles on it with 95% of the riding done in one of the more technical east coast riding locales.

Thought about buying a plus bike and ended up on a 27.5 non plus bike a couple months ago. Most of my pr's on the ups and downs are still with my fatty. Five inch tires on clown shoes (widest tires and rims available). Many of them are top 10s. Yes, I'm a 20 something but it doesn't matter. I'm part of the mtb market too. And yep, I've taken my fatty to killington, highland, sugarbush, etc.

Open your mind. 26, 27.5 and 29 aren't going anywhere. 26 plus is next.

And most of the people I ride with (read: all except 1) ride 27.5 or 29. Nobody on a 26er can keep up at my local riding spot.

I can't help but guess maybe some of your frustration and anger towards those riding 27.5 (plus or not) is due you getting smoked by those folks on the regular?

Now you're just starting to piss me off.
    Then my work here is done...

Quote Originally Posted by bluenext View Post
    <snip>

And most of the people I ride with (read: all except 1) ride 27.5 or 29. Nobody on a 26er can keep up at my local riding spot.

Damian I would love to go for a ride with you sometime. Where are your local trails?

I started seriously mtbing about 2 years ago and a fat bike happened to feel the best when I needed to buy. Nope, I'm not fat. However I was unskilled then. Now it has over 2000 miles on it with 95% of the riding done in one of the more technical east coast riding locales.

Thought about buying a plus bike and ended up on a 27.5 non plus bike a couple months ago. Most of my pr's on the ups and downs are still with my fatty. Five inch tires on clown shoes (widest tires and rims available). Many of them are top 10s. Yes, I'm a 20 something but it doesn't matter. I'm part of the mtb market too. And yep, I've taken my fatty to killington, highland, sugarbush, etc.

Open your mind. 26, 27.5 and 29 aren't going anywhere. 26 plus is next.

I can't help but guess maybe some of your frustration and anger towards those riding 27.5 (plus or not) is due you getting smoked by those folks on the regular?
    You're so awesome. Can I touch your holiness?
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Swine View Post
    You're so awesome. Can I touch your holiness?
    Wags dick in general direction

Nah

Wags dick in general direction

Nah
    Cool, please keep us updated with your super informative statistics. Your sample space is clearly indicative of the larger demographic.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Swine View Post
    Cool, please keep us updated with your super informative statistics. Your sample space is clearly indicative of the larger demographic.
    So you advocate for a special place in hell for those riding plus bikes?

What i was trying to say was a super sized plus bike helped me improve. It seems like that might present a problem.

*NSFW due to language*