Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bear Resistant Storage Bins?

A quick Google didn't yield much. I'm looking for a bear/animal resistant storage bin. Think big Rubbermaid bins, but designed to keep animals out.

I know most of the bling coolers are rated for this, but I don't need a cooler. I want to store dry food, cookware, etc. while car camping. I have a bed/topper setup on my truck, and the nightly gear shuffle to move everything out of the bed into the cab is getting old. Would be ideal if I could just pull out a couple bins and leave them next to the truck all night without worrying about it.

Does somebody make this?

I like Jethro's economical idea. However, you could go first class if you wanted at 7X the cost:
    http://madcowmetalworks.com/dry-boxes.html

I had a response typed up recommending by a drybox but hit some key and it disappeared. I'm not sure he needs a gasketed drybox though. Another thought is that does the box need to meet some me bear resistant standard? If they can get ahold of something, then it is amazing what they can pry open.

I had a bear try to get into my house last weekend. He pulled a window open and crawled in. Fortunately my pot rack was above the window and the racket he created scared him off. That or me stumbling downstairs too investigate the noise did it. I was wishing I had a gun handy, but they are all in the safe. They have been since my 4 year old was one. I need a good solution for an accessible yet locked long gun

Bear Resistant Storage Bins?

I had a box for my old truck mounted on the rails. A factor I never considered was that it would get stuff wet inside because of the thermal changes throughout the day/night. I would open the box and there would be condensation on the interior surfaces. I never figured why (seals? air flow?). May not be an issue in more desert-y climates.
    My n= 1

Maybe I didn't explain well enough, but I have a topper on my truck and a bed in the back, so a bigass heavy metal box is not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a burly fkn plastic bin that I can take out of the truck and leave on the ground nearby while I sleep. Tired of Tetris-ing everything into the cab every night. Basically a Yeti cooler, but not insulated and hopefully cheaper.

The only bear resistant "standard" that it needs to meet is if I leave it out at night, will a bear eat all my shit.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Maybe I didn't explain well enough, but I have a topper on my truck and a bed in the back, so a bigass heavy metal box is not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a burly fkn plastic bin that I can take out of the truck and leave on the ground nearby while I sleep. Tired of Tetris-ing everything into the cab every night. Basically a Yeti cooler, but not insulated and hopefully cheaper.

The only bear resistant "standard" that it needs to meet is if I leave it out at night, will a bear eat all my shit.
    Which is pretty much exactly what I linked to, albeit expensive. I don't think you are going to find anything cheap that will hold up to a determined bear except for the round backpacking variety. Have you ruled those out?

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Which is pretty much exactly what I linked to, albeit expensive. I don't think you are going to find anything cheap that will hold up to a determined bear except for the round backpacking variety. Have you ruled those out?
    Not expecting it to be cheap, but I would just buy a couple extra rotomolded coolers for the prices of those dry boxes. Cheaper, and lighter.

Backpacking ones aren't big enough. Basically want a car camping version of those. Surprised this is apparently not a thing.

Not expecting it to be cheap, but I would just buy a couple extra rotomolded coolers for the prices of those dry boxes. Cheaper, and lighter.

Backpacking ones aren't big enough. Basically want a car camping version of those. Surprised this is apparently not a thing.
    Might find some options here? http://igbconline.org/wp-content/upl...ducts_List.pdf

Any time I've camped where bears are an issue, we just threw a rope over a tree branch and hoisted our food 20' up a tree.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

I doubt you are going to find anything cheap that is bear proof. If on federal lands and bear storage is required it needs to be a certified container, which adds tot he cost. Cheapest option is probably a couple of bear canisters. I like the Bear Vault much better then the Garcia.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Off that list one thing I found that's dope is this:

http://kanzoutdoors.com/field_pantry.html

OK, glad I saw this list. Two of the models here are IGBC and pretty sweet:

https://www.zargescases.com/products...rd-cases/k470/

Some of the aluminum ones look kinda heavy but the small one here might not be too outsized:

http://kofflerboats.com/camping-equi...sistant-boxes/
    Last edited by Jong Lafitte; 07-21-2017 at 11:05 AM.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Cheap, bear proof, and light aren't things that usually go together

Have you thought of just getting the heaviest duty Tupperware box and storing it on the roof?

Also, remember to chain it to the truck, cuz even if the bear can't get in, it won't help anybody out if the bear throws your case down a ravine.

Bear proof trash can. We got huge ones as standard in town but a couple old ladies down the street have a pretty small unit of the same design. Burly steel reinforced plastic. They can be opened by large boars repeatedly jumping on them when laid sideways but it takes em a few weeks to figure that out.

We talking for black or brown bears? If you got grizzlies, not even a Yeti works. Perhaps their robust seals at least help keep them from hopefully smelling anything to begin with. I've even seen them absolutely demolish those big steel "bear-proof" dumpsters.

Sent from my Moto G Play using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    We talking for black or brown bears? If you got grizzlies, not even a Yeti works. Perhaps their robust seals at least help keep them from hopefully smelling anything to begin with. I've even seen them absolutely demolish those big steel "bear-proof" dumpsters.
    I very rarely travel anywhere with grizzlies.

I've been thinking about this a lot as we are car camping through glacier soon, I also have a truck with a cap and sleeping bed platform. So, if I throw my dry food in a Rubbermaid container under the platform of the bed, am I just a raised meal with snacks below?

Why not just raise the platform so your bins fit underneath? It doesn't seem any less secure than putting it in the backseat every time. Well, maybe a little less secure..

Anti Bear box?

You go in the box, box goes into the woods, you go into the woods,

Bear's in the woods?

OUR BEAR?

Farewell and adieu all ye fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain. For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston. And so nevermore shall we see you again.

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    Why not just raise the platform so your bins fit underneath? It doesn't seem any less secure than putting it in the backseat every time. Well, maybe a little less secure..
    That's where the cookware lives now, but a bigger bin would be nice. Platform isn't going up, I like having the space above for extracurricular activities

That's where the cookware lives now, but a bigger bin would be nice. Platform isn't going up, I like having the space above for extracurricular activities
    Fair enough. I love extracurricular activities. Especially if we get the solar shower hooked up. Sounds like we are on a similar path. And thanks for the tips on the bike rack. 8-10k mile road trip is a lot of planning. Can't wait to get the f outta dodge

Well, good luck finding a plastic container that will keep bears out unless it is a mini sized backpacker can. My best bet is an aluminum box. There are some speciality military boxes made of plastic, but by the time they were made as strong as aluminum they gain mass and volume
    Last edited by Jethro; 07-23-2017 at 12:54 PM.

A quick Google didn't yield much. I'm looking for a bear/animal resistant storage bin. Think big Rubbermaid bins, but designed to keep animals out.

I know most of the bling coolers are rated for this, but I don't need a cooler. I want to store dry food, cookware, etc. while car camping. I have a bed/topper setup on my truck, and the nightly gear shuffle to move everything out of the bed into the cab is getting old. Would be ideal if I could just pull out a couple bins and leave them next to the truck all night without worrying about it.

Does somebody make this?
    While you're figuring it out, stop putting the stuff in the cab of your truck. Bears break into locked cars all the time. They'll break a window or rip a door open.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    Any time I've camped where bears are an issue, we just threw a rope over a tree branch and hoisted our food 20' up a tree.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Anywhere bears have been active around people for a while they have figured out that if they bite through a rope tied to a tree frequently food will fall from the sky. The counter balance method doesn't work either--the sow will send a cub up a tree and have it dive bomb the branch the food is hung on--that's if the branch isn't strong enough for the cub to walk out on.
    Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    I've been thinking about this a lot as we are car camping through glacier soon, I also have a truck with a cap and sleeping bed platform. So, if I throw my dry food in a Rubbermaid container under the platform of the bed, am I just a raised meal with snacks below?

I had a pickup with a shell, food in a cooler, cooler under mattress in the bed. Bear ripped the back off the camper shell. BTW bears won't touch country time powdered lemonage.

I wouldn't worry about the cookware and stuff like that--just wash it well. Just worry about the edible stuff, including toothpaste and other smelly toiletries. The other thing is to assess the threat. If you're car camping in a developed campground where bears are active chances are there will be bear boxes provided.
    Last edited by old goat; 07-26-2017 at 11:05 AM.