Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Your non-new-standard-industry-slapping-Trumpian-freakout posts are appreciated, but to be honest...you are one guy, riding your bike, setup like you prefer, on trails, dirt and terrain that very few of us ride...so the level of knobtacular detail that you are throwing down...I just feel like all that thinking and energy spent obsessing about that stuff while you're out riding could be better spent just enjoying the ride instead of justifying the riding qualities of the Tomahawk.
    I've been down that rabbit hole many times, and have resigned myself to the fact that we're all having very unique individual experiences out on the trail - and some broad generalizations about gear can be helpful, but this ultra-granular detail about clipping the edge of knobs of a mediocre tire - its just a whole lot.
    I can only offer my own observations based on my own experience, while providing any relevant points of reference. I've been riding for many years and like trying different things, and can make pretty good subjective observations about things like tires. I specifically made comparisons to a very well known tire and pointed out specific reasons why people would understandably not like the tire. If you like X, you may or may not like Y because of Z............much more useful than X is awesome, Y sucks.

It's not obsession at all - to effectively ride a set tires you need to understand what they can and can't do. It's much faster to do it consciously, vs. with sub-conscious muscle memory like most people do with their sporting equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    Soooo.....I had a pretty good ride on the Tomahawks at my local state forest, and actually like them. They are certainly not a DHF. Comparing to the DHF is probably why people's expectations of them are so high, thus people are disappointed when they take them DH/Enduro/Shuttling and don't get the same performance.

I rode them at 22/26 psi, where I would run my DHF 3C/Aggressor on these trails. They are not a racing micro knobby, but they do roll noticeably faster than my DHF/Aggressor combo. They corner effectively on dirt and light loose over hard, without a vague transition zone like an Ardent. They had no problem on some fairly technical climbs, making it up anything I could on my Aggressor. I saw no noticeable wear from one ride, but I ride with finesse and don't skid.
    What are the pros/cons vs the Aggressor? I wouldn't suppose the Tom would compare well to a DHF, but I also don't see many people running Aggressors up front.

Quote Originally Posted by bsavery View Post
    What are the pros/cons vs the Aggressor? I wouldn't suppose the Tom would compare well to a DHF, but I also don't see many people running Aggressors up front.
    IMHO the Tomahawk rolls a bit faster and is about 75g lighter, but the Aggressor will wear longer and hold up much better to abusive riding due to the harder compound and tighter pattern. Otherwise, I couldn't tell that much of a difference as a rear tire, they both cornered, climbed and braked well in most situations.

That's just fucking crazy if you can't feel a difference between a Tomahawk and Aggressor.

That's just fucking crazy if you can't feel a difference between a Tomahawk and Aggressor.
    Yeah. Crazy.

I picked up a handful of the t-hawk. Actually like them.

Thankfully tires fall apart quickly. And this isn't marriage. Every time I switch back to the Trailboss I feel like my riding improves.
    bumps are for poor people

As a rear tire? They use the exact same casing so that's about half of it right there.

Testing rear tires is easy. Does it roll fast or slow? Does it slip out climbing or drift inconsistently when pushed, or break loose excessively when braking? In that respect, the tomahawk and Aggro both performed well, but got there in different ways.. Keep in mind the Agressor has more tread, but the marginal DC compound, while the tomahawk is 3C.

Tomahawk on the front of a SB-66?

If I ever had any questions about DS's "riding style," that just answered them all.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    Tomahawk on the front of a SB-66?

If I ever had any questions about DS's "riding style," that just answered them all.
    LOL. I've said plenty of times that I'm a finesse trail rider, but I prefer a long travel bike. I'm certainly not racing enduro, riding bike park or hucking my meat.

LOL. I've said plenty of times that I'm a finesse trail rider, but I prefer a long travel bike. I'm certainly not racing enduro, riding bike park or hucking my meat.
    And you are not open to the idea that perhaps a 26" wheeled SB-66 may not be the best tool for that type of riding?

To put it in skiing terms for you, that would be akin to someone saying that they really just like to skid their turns on intermediate groomers but prefer to do so on 120mm waisted skis with two sheets of titinal.

And you are not open to the idea that perhaps a 26" wheeled SB-66 may not be the best tool for that type of riding?

To put it in skiing terms for you, that would be akin to someone saying that they really just like to skid their turns on intermediate groomers but prefer to do so on 120mm waisted skis with two sheets of titinal.
    An apt analogy.

SB66 - those fuckers are made to go fast and smash the shit out of stuff. And should be shod with beefy MF'n tires.

I used to race DH back in the day, so I prefer a longer travel bike that's fairly slack, even for normal trail riding. I used to trail ride a 7" travel bike. One thing I don't like about the SB66's suspension is that it doesn't come alive until you get it up to speed, it can fight you when lower speed climbing and tech, so I'm thinking about moving back to a FSR bike, either a 2013/2014 Enduro or Transition Suppressor. Trust me, I've been riding a loooong time and know how to do it, I just don't ride as hard as I used to. Regardless, I have no problem keeping up with or exceeding people on bikes with bigger wheels or more trail oriented bikes, going up or down.

As a side note, I would say that some people greatly over-ride the SB66, bottoming out the linear rate suspension, then wonder why they have bearing problems and cracked swingarms. It's intended to be a trail bike, light all mountain and enduro race bike. It's not a freeride bike nor is it built to be abused in the bike park. If you build it up as a 35 lb freeride bike and ride it as such, it's going to break. The people posting pics of themselves hitting large jumps or drops with the SB66 and bottoming out, will eventually break it.

Mine is at a shade under 29 lb with reliable parts and a fork and wheels appropriate for the bike. Many SB66's were sold with Fox 32 forks, and I ran a Revelation for a season before getting my Pike.

Here's a vid of someone riding some fairly rough southwestern terrain at a fast, reasonable pace on a SB66, it's about as rough as what I normally ride here in the east:

Last edited by Damian Sanders; 07-27-2017 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    SB66 - those fuckers are made to go fast and smash the shit out of stuff.
    Not really. They are made to go fast, but they are more of a finesse and all around bike than you would think:

http://dirtragmag.com/review-yeti-sb-66/

There’s been much hubbub in recent months about Yeti’s newest flag- ship trail bike, the SB-66. At first glance, it seemed strange that Yeti might keep their venerable 575 alongside this new 152mm-travel machine, given their similar geometries and travel figures. Yeti’s Chris Conroy described the differences and the reasons for having both bikes in the Yeti lineup: “The 575 is plusher, the SB-66 will feel more ‘performance.’ Those are subjective descriptions, but the SB-66 will pedal better than the 575. Riders interested in comfort and being able to blast through rock gardens with a more muted feel would prefer the 575. On the SB-66 you will feel the nuances of the trail more.
    Bike they show has a Nobby Nic front, Racing Ralph rear.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/featu...7463/sspomer,2

Joey used this Yeti SB-66c to win the 2012 Collegiate Nationals Omnium without any changes to the build or spec throughout the weekend. That's racing XC, Short Track, Downhill and Dual Slalom all on the same bike!
    Looks like he's running 2.25 Ardents or Ardent Race?
    Last edited by Damian Sanders; 07-27-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Trust me, I've been riding a loooong time and know how to do it.
    I DO trust you, Damian Sanders. Completely.

Hang tight, I'm gonna post up a video here really soon of somebody who rides just like me too...

Not really. They are made to go fast, but they are more of a finesse and all around bike than you would think:
    Uhhh.. wouldn't be the first time bike reviewers were full of shit.

Uhhh.. wouldn't be the first time bike reviewers were full of shit.
    You do know that is a direct quote from the owner of Yeti Cycles, right...?

You do know that is a direct quote from the owner of Yeti Cycles, right...?
    Well then he's being disingenuous. Those 66s are made to GO FAST AND SMASH THE SHIT OUT OF STUFF.

Well then he's being disingenuous. Those 66s are made to GO FAST AND SMASH THE SHIT OUT OF STUFF.
    If you say so. They are great bikes, I've been pretty happy with mine any nitpicks aside.

One of the first things I noticed about them is when casually riding over the side of a small rock angled perpendicular to the trail, they simply slid off to the side, whereas a DHF 3C would totally stick to it and the wheel would track straight. I attribute this to the more open and angled side knobs of the Tomahawk, and their low height to the inside on these knobs.
    I can't believe those triangular knobs don't work well. Jeez, they have two things going for them: 1) they look like pieces of pizza; 2) they look like ghey pride symbols. So an Italian gay/lesbian ought to shred with the Thomas Hawk.

Free shit
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Free shit
    Dibs on the 3.0 gazzoloti

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Dibs on the 3.0 gazzoloti
    Got any 12-ply Intense tires? I'm using heavy water H30 in my homebrew stans, gonna fill it all the way and ride hydro-heavy-duty in the GNARRRRR!

I give shapeshifter props to DS for now inhabiting The Verdone. Please post your newest "frame design" for us, Pete!

[QUOTE=creaky fossil;5069457]Got any 12-ply Intense tires? I'm using heavy water H30 in my homebrew stans, gonna fill it all the way and ride hydro-heavy-duty in the GNARRRRR!

Yes those wc's with the sr rubber before they changed manufacturer and the knobs started to rip off. Never liked the 909's. 20lbs rear and 17lbs psi front dh tubes no flats. I'd like to try a pair 2bliss

Lol. I used to run the original Michelin DH 2.5's with 500g motocross tubes (literally purchased from a motorcycle store) at around 15psi and never had a flat.

I picked up an Aggressor and Tomahawk when this deal first came around. I had owned a Tomahawk before, so knew what I was getting into. I do really like the fast rolling aspect of it, but I'm literally watching it melt. Hoping it lasts 200 miles in new england chunk.

I'm not having any problems with wear on my Tomahawks, but I never, ever skid.