New Camera Recco Thread

I know this is a subjective thing with no right answer but throwing this out to the collective. Would like to buy a new camera. I feel like my existing setup takes pretty nice pics but wondering if a newer crop sensor camera with more AF points(for action) or full frame for IQ/printability etc would make me happier. Typically take my camera to: Backpacking (landscape and wildlife), Skiing, Day Hikes, Night Photography.

Current setup
    Canon SL1
    Canon 15-85 f3-5.6
    Tokina 11-16 f2.8
    Canon 70-200 f4 is usm
    Sigma 150-600 f5-6.2
    assorted inexpensive primes

Thinking about the 77D or 6Dii as a possible replacement. I would upgrade the wide and standard zoom if 6Dii is chosen.

So I guess I'm asking the collective is the weight and lack of reach overcome by image quality, large viewfinder, etc?

Your suggestions/ experiences/ diatribes appreciated

Fuji X-T20 is being delivered by FedEx today (assuming my wife is around to sign for it). It's replacing an SL1, the kit lens, 24 2.8 pancake, and 50 1.8. I figured that since I don't have a ton into Canon, it'd be worthwhile to switch.

So I was between Sony crop (likely A6300) and the X-T20. Went Fuji because of the lens family and because the "upgrade kit" (18-55 2.8-4) lens is a steal when bought with the body.

My uses are the same as you, plus photos of my always-moving children.

Will post back thoughts when I get some use out of it, but reviews are universally positive. My buddy Daven reviews for Digital Trends and it's his personal camera now. His review here: https://www.digitaltrends.com/digita...-x-t20-review/

(And, yes, I realize that I didn't really answer your post re Canon and that you have a lot more into Canon glass than I did. If you want to get more serious about the night photography, FF 6D is pretty much a no brainer, but if not, I'd say stick with crop for weight and existing lens purposes.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Any reason why you're looking at the 77D instead of the 80D? I've got the 80D and it's an awesome camera. The 77D is essentially a T7i, which I guess isn't bad if you're used to the smaller DSLR feel.

I've been intrigued by the Sony A6500 since I've seen quite a few action photogs talk about it lately (Chris Burkard specifically).... but I'm kind of like you, I've got so much invested in Canon glass that I don't know if it'd be worth the switch. I also don't like the Sony lens lineup and cost compared to what's available with Canon.

I was going to suggest Sony mirrorless from a portability standpoint, and I've also seen good results. Doesn't Burkard use a Sony>Canon adapter and use Canon glass? Maybe I'm just smoking something.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Any reason why you're looking at the 77D instead of the 80D? I've got the 80D and it's an awesome camera. The 77D is essentially a T7i, which I guess isn't bad if you're used to the smaller DSLR feel.

I've been intrigued by the Sony A6500 since I've seen quite a few action photogs talk about it lately (Chris Burkard specifically).... but I'm kind of like you, I've got so much invested in Canon glass that I don't know if it'd be worth the switch. I also don't like the Sony lens lineup and cost compared to what's available with Canon.
    Thanks all for replying so far. I was wondering what you might say smmokan because I know you've gone back and forth on the canon crop/FF.

I've heard that the Sony with Canon glass is a little slow to focus and at times slows the FPS. Maybe this has improved?
    I'm looking at the 77d over the 80d because it is 1/2 pound lighter with very similar specs. I am pretty easy on my gear and the 77d is said to have good ergonomics. You do lose weatherpoofing and 1fps.

Still curious if people would suggest the move to full frame to get the most out of their photos or if the extra weight made the trade offs not worth it.

FWIW, I fully plan on "upgrading" to the 6DII once prices come down, or once people start ditching them on the second-hand (or refurbished) market. I loved my original 6D, the only thing that pissed me off was the focus system- only the center point was usable. Now that they've upgraded that, that camera is much more appealing.

I down-sized to crop for the time being because I don't have any big vacations or projects coming up, and the 80D is a lot more practical for me to take on my MTB trips. Check out the 18-135mm STM lens, by the way... it's super sharp, light, and covers an awesome range for skiing and MTB'ing shots. It's my go-to lens.... if only there was a FF equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by skialpy View Post
    Still curious if people would suggest the move to full frame to get the most out of their photos or if the extra weight made the trade offs not worth it.
    I think if I were you and the main uses involved hauling your gear around backpacking, skiing, etc, I'd go for a crop sensor just because in a lot of those situations the FF doesn't really matter, and crop sensors are lots of times better for action because of their extra reach.

That being said, I upgraded to FF (Nikon) last year and other than my pack being about 50% heavier, I've loved the IQ and the DoF that the FF has given me. I don't usually have to haul my gear around so much though, so weight hasn't been a concern yet.

I picked the a6300 over the corresponding Fuji based mostly on size. The fuji felt bigger in hand and I felt like it would be harder to slide into and out of small packs. The fuji system definitely has a better lens selection but the sony supposedly has a faster and more accurate auto focus. As far as full frame, I was wringing my hands over the size step up from a P&S, so FF was out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I picked the a6300 over the corresponding Fuji based mostly on size. The fuji felt bigger in hand and I felt like it would be harder to slide into and out of small packs. The fuji system definitely has a better lens selection but the sony supposedly has a faster and more accurate auto focus. As far as full frame, I was wringing my hands over the size step up from a P&S, so FF was out of the question.
    I can see those critiques. The Fuji is definitely bigger and the external dials might catch on things. When hiking/skiing, I use a Peak Designs clip, so I'm not super concerned about it catching on things, but I'm sure it will at some point.

The autofocus seemed like it was hunting a bit more than my SL1 did when I was focusing on objects on the far end of my dimly-lit living room. I'll need more time to do a better evaluation. The 18-55 "kit" lens is way more solid than my inexpensive Canon lenses (and the Sony 16-50). Not even close to the same league.

Some sample JPEGs straight out of camera from my lunch hour yesterday:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/aqHoVhkGqaVQYlrb2

Was trying the film simulation modes. Pretty fun.
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I was thinking about getting something for an upcoming back packing trip to the Winds but decided to take my 6d with an old 24mm canon prime that I found cheap on Ebay. The lens weighs nothing and the camera isn't bad with the grip removed. Just family shots and scenics. We'll see how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I was thinking about getting something for an upcoming back packing trip to the Winds but decided to take my 6d with an old 24mm canon prime that I found cheap on Ebay. The lens weighs nothing and the camera isn't bad with the grip removed. Just family shots and scenics. We'll see how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Awesome please post pics. Would love to make it out there some day!

Any reason to not just upgrade to the SL2 if you like the SL1? I have a rebel and personally wouldn't want much bigger for hiking etc.

New Camera Recco Thread

It is a really cool camera and will keep it around but I think I'd like something a bit more capable. For skiing and wildlife the af is pretty poor and when i look at my photos in detail or printed in larger format I wish I could pull cleaner shadows and get the beautiful colors of FF.
    Last edited by skialpy; 07-21-2017 at 07:39 PM.

Take back the AF on mine hunting more than the SL1 in low light. It doesn't. Seems to be better.

Quote Originally Posted by skialpy View Post
    Awesome please post pics. Would love to make it out there some day!
    I'll throw a trip report up probably. We are dehydrating most all of our food. It has been fun. Today we are dehydrating chicken and putting the final touches on our dehydrated bloody mary mix after powdering the bark from frozen. Going back in the dehydrator to get rid of the moisture that condensated on it after pulling it from the freezer. This should make four large mugs and already mixed up the way I like it! Can't wait.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170722-IMG_7738.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	209706