Foot Laceration How to seel it up after stitches

So i cut my foot while kiting in the gorge, foiling. Took about 20 stiches to my heel.
    I am out of the water for at least 5 days.

When i was in Mexico about 8 years ago, i had a bunch of stitches and some guy gave me some homeopathic salve to put on the laceration, which essentially sealed it up so i could get back in the water quicker.

I was wondering if anyone here might know what that was. I can not remember.

Name:  heal laceration.JPG
Views: 9759
Size:  67.2 KB

Name:  heal laceration.JPG
Views: 1179
Size:  67.2 KB

Foot Laceration How to seel it up after stitches

Crazy glue
    Or second skin

glue. second skins burns like hell and peels off quicker, but will also do the job

a little late for the OP but for anyone else considering using super glue to seal a cut I'd suggest waiting for at least 24 hours to let the wound seal on it's own--that's all it takes. Wait long enough for the wound to stop draining to reduce the risk of infection. We're talking about sutured wounds here. I wouldn't recommend self-applying super glue to close any but the most minor wounds (and why not use a bandaid for those?). The main benefit of going to the ER to get a cut sutured is not the stitches but the cleaning out of the wound with sterile solution and sometimes antiseptic.
    BTW BandAid Tough Strips are the best bandaids made. I get a lot of heel cracks and the tough strips will stay on for days, hiking, walking in flip flops, soaking in the spa, etc.

super glue and cover with duct tape
    watch out for snakes

I may be dating my self, but, wonderbread bag over the foot with a rubberband around the ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    I may be dating my self, but, wonderbread bag over the foot with a rubberband around the ankle.
    How insensitive. Suppose the OP has a gluten allergy.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    I feel like we or someone we knew did that as kids when in a cast/splint/stitches from whatever childhood shenanigans that went wrong. Seemed to always work for showers, swimming, whatever.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I feel like we or someone we knew did that as kids when in a cast/splint/stitches from whatever childhood shenanigans that went wrong. Seemed to always work for showers, swimming, whatever.
    They make plastic cast covers now. A lot more expensive than wonderbread bags but they work better. And if you pass them from family to family the cost per use goes way down. My two kids had 2 broken arms each growing up. Snowboarding x 2, bumper car, falling off bike. And then the wife broke both wrists at the same time a few years ago skiing. (Turns out she should have just stayed in the back seat. 50's is too late to try and learn to ski properly.)

Well, either way, you're a doctor, so if you say to crazy glue, then no crazy glue.
    Works well on skin cracks on feet or toes, but those aren't deep. Moisturizer works too, lol.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Not saying no to crazy glue. Just no to sealing the wound after stitches for the first 24 hours or so, and no to trying to use it to close cuts that should be properly cleaned out in the ER--unless you have a lot of sterile saline and a little betadine and a sterile irrigating syringe. As far as heel cracks--I'm gonna give it a try next time.
    BTW--the reason wounds are sutured is a) cosmetic, and b) it's a lot simpler to take care of a sutured wound than an open wound. If a wound is heavily cotaminated, especially if treatment is delayed more than 6 hours, it's often better to leave the wound open and just keep changing dressings until it heals. A pain in the ass but less likely to get infected than a contaminated sutured wound. (On the face we would still suture due to excellent blood supply and cosmetics.)