Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    You should be able to do VOIP calls from your t-mobile phone with no cell signal at all...Ya, but I still like a separate land line for business

And as I stated before - your upload speed is likely going to be throttled at the internet connection, not the wireless connection. Unless you, perhaps, have fiber to your house? That would be sweet...
    As previously stated my wired upload speed is close to 100MPS BUT the current wifi speed is 20% of that. Hence why I need to fix this. Based on the reviews for the wireless modem purchased, I am hoping for 60 MPS within 20 feet of the modem.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I have to say, I for one do not want Google shit in my life, as I am sure those fuckers are watching your every move and selling the info. Same with those systems you talk to. I know they are listening to everything. Yup, Big Brother scares me.
    You might want to add one of these to your order when you get your wireless router:

Name:  weirdalfoil_2322.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  39.7 KB

For home use- still need to find out what is causing the signal to drop so much. Are you living in an old home with Lath Mesh Plaster walls? If you want to run a 100 foot cable (even temporarily to the extender) and then run your speed tests again, that will tell you if it is your wifi, your extender or even your device you are trying to use on wifi. Also if able move the device within the same room and see if the speeds increase.

As for the wireless, Spectrum does have both modem/router and modem/wireless router models. But again if you are going to the higher end router to do the wifi, then why not just get a good solid Docis 3.0 cable modem only, drop off your wireless router and set up the wifi. If there is a particular area not getting signal, address that. Also do not know which wifi extender you have and if it supports dual band or if it could be an older model.

I am the in farthermost corner bedroom of the 2nd floor from where my Wifi router sits. Depending on the device (some phones I've had, tablets also from time to time) and put a TP-Link extender (wireless but it has support for a wired connection). http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/list-5508.html for there full line up. http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/d...08_RE580D.html is their highest speed access point. I also have just taken a Buffalo Router and flipped the switch to make it a wifi access point and plugged a cable in to an available jack to make the connection.

http://www.tweaktown.com/guides/1575...int/index.html is a discussion on making most any router an access point. Some of that article is pretty dated but shows you the basics of a typical setup; (I do not do the static address, main router should still hand out DHCP addresses.) I've seen it done with Netgear and other popular brand home routers. DD-WRT newer AC router would be a good choice in my opinion.

Also you could think about a bit of a better access point - but it requires a cable and POE (power over ethernet or an injector to provide power to the device) https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0XM-0013-00050
    Last edited by RShea; 07-20-2017 at 05:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    For home use- still need to find out what is causing the signal to drop so much. Are you living in an old home with Lath Mesh Plaster walls?
    Yup. As always, thanks for the ideas. Hopefully my new set up plan yields good results with the modem above a doorway the gives it line of site access to the three rooms I want a strong signal in
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Doing a speed test, my wireless download connection is about 20 Mbps when I am 20 feet away from the wireless modem. If using a wired LAN connection it is more like 90Mbps, so I would like a wireless modem that is a lot fast.

Should I stick with a ac1900 model as I use two lap tops and stream to my tv. No computer to computer connections in the house except for the laptops to a wireless printer.

Thanks for your time
    Based on the above speed test, my old AC 1900 modem was worn out or junk as the new AC1750 modem is streaming at 115MBPS on the down load and 5MBPS on the up in wireless mode. Putting the wireless modem in the center of my living areas has provided great coverage. Bad news is now I have to crawl under the house to run a few LAN lines.

Moral of the story, buy a new $100 modem if your stuff is slow.

Thinking it's time to upgrade our Nighthawk router, does anyone have any recommendations for a new one?

Four person household, tons of video streaming and a young boy who games way too much. Bonus points for good coverage as our cable access is literally at the least populous side and floor of a four level back split house.

Full disclosure I've asked a similar question in the past and it got way more technical than I'm capable of. Simplicity will be key.

Appreciate any insight.

Simplicity might depend on how techy you are but I haven't regretted buying into the Ubiquiti Unifi ecosystem. Prosumer and rock solid in my experience.

the routing and the WiFi aspects are actually accomplished by different devices but it makes the system a lot more flexible in fulfilling your needs too.

goto slickdeal.net

type in 'mesh'

pick whatever looks affordable and read what people say in comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Ørion View Post
    Simplicity might depend on how techy you are but I haven't regretted buying into the Ubiquiti Unifi ecosystem. Prosumer and rock solid in my experience.

the routing and the WiFi aspects are actually accomplished by different devices but it makes the system a lot more flexible in fulfilling your needs too.
    This is the way for the best experience with a bit more effort and some googling. Because it is prosumer it is likely to have good, if too detailed, documentation.

Second best way is NBABUCKS1 suggestion. Easy app will set everything up for you. BUT if it doesn't work, there is nothing you can change at all so it just won't work for you. I work in this industry and this is what I use, but it works for me well enough. I have 2 in a 750 sq ft place...they probably don't have the best antennas. Maybe try some place with a no questions asked return policy (e.g. Amazon). If that doesn't work, go for Ubiquiti.

What I'm guessing is nice about Ubiquiti is that if your son who games is not getting good performance, there will be lots of settings that can change the algorithms to improve his speed a lot (prioritizing his connection, prioritizing the specific Ubiquiti mesh device he's on, etc).

I’m happy with my google mesh WiFi. I have two units for my 1700sf home, one at where my fiber comes in and one on the other side of the house, connected by Ethernet I strung through the crawl space. I have gigabit fiber service and it tests to 850/850 anywhere in the house. My wife WFHs with a Remote Desktop and there’s no issues. I like the Google Home app and how I can manage the wifi and how it integrates with other devices I have…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Just purchased an additional node and “dots” for my MeshForce 3. It is a budget conscious system and this is serviceable.

I would like to upgrade in the future with something that has stronger reach between rooms and outdoor capable nodes to maximize reliability for our security cameras and the ever increasing outdoor and garage things; just got a WiFi smoker. Maybe I will be able to find a compatible extender?

The MeshForce M3 has adequate security, but I would also like to improve that in the future. The Netgear Orbi looks interesting.
    "Let's be careful out there."

Mesh it is, thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Mesh it is, thanks all.
    Cool. Check for switching and handoff speeds. For instance mine is good at medium ranges from the connected device, but sometimes hand off isn’t fast and the device will stay connected to another node, this is one reason I can’t give a strong recommendation to my system. Also, sometimes the nodes will lose contact with one another. The laundry room is the main culprit when the door gets shut and then since the garage is connected to the laundry room it can go down.

Overall, happy with the mesh system, but probably will upgrade it to a better one in the future.

It’s worth noting - if you can spend an hour in the crawl space / attic and wire the mesh nodes together with cat6 (no longer mesh, now just multiple WAPs) you will get better speed…

Mesh is great if you are renting, don’t have clean routing, don’t have the handiness or time to run the cable, etc…

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I’m not a tech guy. But I was having issues with streaming, video conferencing, etc. got this bad boy and everything has been super smooth.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-netw...archer-be9300/

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Thinking it's time to upgrade our Nighthawk router, does anyone have any recommendations for a new one?

Four person household, tons of video streaming and a young boy who games way too much. Bonus points for good coverage as our cable access is literally at the least populous side and floor of a four level back split house.

Full disclosure I've asked a similar question in the past and it got way more technical than I'm capable of. Simplicity will be key.

Appreciate any insight.
    I'd if you have not done anything yet, check out the TP-Link and Asus Routers. They both have some entry level routers, and then mid line and high end gaming routers- more Wifi 6 AX (or there is Wifi 6e out there now that could maybe help in the future- but I see very little need for most to have the Wifi 6e because not many devices out there yet support the 6 Ghz that is added to the latest version.)

If your coverage is an issue, then you definitely not only want a good Wifi 6 (AX) router, but one that can do mesh setup- either with a satellite or 2 to start with or one that allows you to add second and 3rd devices to increase the coverage- TP-Link Deco series is their out of the box solution for more than 1 Wifi wireless device...

Asus is ZenWifi for their multiple mesh setup. ZenWiFi Pro XT12 or ZenWiFi XT9 maybe for middle of the line (but I have not installed any of them yet- just have used Asus Routers for a number of years now.

I clicked the thread expecting this:
    https://www.milwaukeetool.com/products/2838-20

To keep it on-topic, I have one of these that I installed in our house about a year ago. It's been doing what I need it to do and I don't think it is my bottleneck in speed. I've only run into one quirk in my network and it was my fault with how I connected to the modem, not a router issue. I have my network shelf set up in an upper corner in my gear room/laundry room which is fairly centrally located. I also have ethernet run through out the house but haven't finished all the cable ends nor added the necessary ethernet router so everything is running off wifi right now. I have ~100' range for reliable network coverage even through multiple walls which covers my house and all of the yard around it.
    https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-netw.../archer-axe95/

Doubling up on Jason4's recommendation, I have ran TP-Link's Deco mesh system (several iterations and versions in different houses) for over 5 years, and have had pretty flawless (and easy!) service from them. Set one up at my parents house (late 70's and luddites) and they have not had to touch them once after install and service has been rock solid.

Much like the Ubitiqi stuff recommended above, but *much* cheaper and I think plenty powerful/robust for a home use case.
    Last edited by aragon; 04-11-2024 at 12:09 PM. Reason: add re Ubitiqi