Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I suppose YMMV but I didn't find any difference between Orange and Stans

i would use whichever you can easily source
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Lots of reviews, search. I have never had an issue with Stan’s, and I’ve been using it since he started. I’ve read Orange doesn’t make the spidery booger balls like Stan’s does though.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Haven't tried the agent orange yet, but I did try out the new Slime tubeless sealant this year and that stuff had issues. All the sealing particles had congealed into big clumps that made it impossible to inject it through the valve stem. I got a refund, then strained it and used the liquid with glitter. The liquid itself seemed nice, no ammonia and wasn't dried up when I pulled some tires off after two months or so. Maybe I got a bad batch, who knows.

Just to confuse the issue further:

I use Continental sealant and it works well.

It has no ammonia, which is why I bought it - to attempt to minimize galvanic corrosion between my crabon rims and alloy nipples.

And yeah, I know now, NO ALLOY NIPPLES. Always use brass.

Tried the tyvek and aquaseal patch last night combined with setting the rims up for tubeless. The puncture through the tire was big enough that it was bulging out a little at ~20 psi, so I smeared AQS in the hole and backed off pressure until the pieces of rubber appeared to came back together. Not sure if it will survive or not, but moved to my front tire as I figured the rear gets more abuse.

I also intended to sandwich a piece of parchment paper between the tyvek and the tube in hopes that it wouldn't glue the tube to the patch. After inflating and doing the above, I realized that the parchment must have fallen out while seating the tire on the rim. :-/

Will report more tonight when I try to go full tubeless on that rim. The other was the easiest tubeless conversion I have ever done.

Seth

I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the idea that tyvek and aquaseal is superior to a radial auto patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the idea that tyvek and aquaseal is superior to a radial auto patch.
    This. Just use a proper patch. It's like people try to make things difficult...

I had the tyvek and AQS on hand. If it fails or doesn't look like its going to work, I'll give the auto patch a try.

I've never had to patch a tire before. I usually wear out the tread first.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Seth

Patch set up well and is holding air (tubeless) currently without any issues. I'll update if it fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Haven't tried the agent orange yet, but I did try out the new Slime tubeless sealant this year and that stuff had issues. All the sealing particles had congealed into big clumps that made it impossible to inject it through the valve stem. I got a refund, then strained it and used the liquid with glitter. The liquid itself seemed nice, no ammonia and wasn't dried up when I pulled some tires off after two months or so. Maybe I got a bad batch, who knows.
    No you didn't get a bad batch. I got a couple of quarts from them to use in my demo bike tires and couldn't use it with injectors either. The only way to use it was to pull a couple of inches of tire from the bead and pour it in. It also didn't seem to seal as well as some of the others, took too long and still leaked around the valve stem and at the seams in the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Patch set up well and is holding air (tubeless) currently without any issues. I'll update if it fails.
    Just FYI cause I know you already had the necessary stuff on hand, but that could easily have been fixed trailside with a plug.

Which leads to a question. Is Aquaseal better than rubber cement for just holding rubber together? I've got a triple plug in a hole where the shoulder knob partially got torn off. It's holding, but I'd like to glue the tire together for something a little more reliable.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Which leads to a question. Is Aquaseal better than rubber cement for just holding rubber together? I've got a triple plug in a hole where the shoulder knob partially got torn off. It's holding, but I'd like to glue the tire together for something a little more reliable.
    Apples and oranges IMO...
    Comparatively speaking, rubber cement is pretty weak, I think of it as strictly a "crafts" adhesive.
    Gorilla glue would be better, or even contact cement.

Aquaseal is used to repair rafts (think guide level equipment) and wet/dry suits.
    I've been using it for decades. It bonds very well and holds up over time. If anything the repair is stronger than the surrounding area (depending on the materials and construction). Over the years I've used it to repair bike tires, gloves, ski cloths, rafts, wet/dry suits, motorcycle and snowmobile seats, etc. with great results.

Gorilla glue, Super Glue, Crazy Glue will all dry hard and inflexible. On a flexible surface, they'll be prone to flaking off. Aquaseal will dry and remain flexible and won't be prone to flaking off. It's a contact cement that's just a lot better and more expensive than rubber cement. Apply to both surfaces very very thin, so thin you can barely tell it's on there. Let it dry almost completely, then stick and hold. Better to let it completely dry than to stick together when still wet. Don't goop it on, it's not sunblock.
    Good luck with your big fat tire. Maybe shove 4-5 Huck Norris strips and a couple Flat Tire Defenders in each tire???
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Gorilla glue, Super Glue, Crazy Glue will all dry hard and inflexible.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Good luck with your big fat tire. Maybe shove 4-5 Huck Norris strips and a couple Flat Tire Defenders in each tire???
    lulz

I've worked with a LOT of AQS, I used it to fix 100's of drysuits/ outdoor gear/ clothing/ climbing skins

you can apparently speed up curing to a couple of hrs with Cotol (never used it) but AQS DOES NOT stick on contact it needs to cure over night at least

when I've used it on ski gloves it sticks really good but it starts to lift at the edges

for glueing a tire patch on the inside of a tire i would use, wait for it

tire patch glue

which remains stuck to tubes and tires IME, tire patch glue is made for tire patchsand it IS a contact cement so let it dry,

where would i try AQS on jobs that are too big and weird for a normal tire patch

"tire patch glue" is just rubber cement, no?

I appreciate the Aquaseal advice.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I think so , but maybe there is the benign shit we used in art class as kids and nasty stuff you patch tires with?

the tube from a park patch kit sez "self vulcanizing" and "contains petroleum distillates, flammable/harmful vapors " so it has some nasty shit in it which is what you want