Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

boot flex for kid?

the kid will need new boots next winter
    his boot this year was a 2015 nordica patron jr in 24-24.5
    he's sort of getting to the in-between for kid/adult sizing and i'm not looking forward to adult pricing
    he is 12, will be 13 going into winter
    100# now, guessing he'll add a few by then
    5'-1 now, prolly add an inch by then
    advanced skier, skis whole hill without hesitation but not a racer
    not a park rat but will jump stuff

what flex should i be looking for?

i've thought maybe a women's boot in lieu of a junior but don't need to overdo it in the stiffness

at some point in the fall, i'll have to get him fitted but my scottish heritage is nevertheless eyeballing summer sales

Paging XavierD

As someone who taught kids for a while and who has seen E ski, I'd say your gut feeling not to overdo the stiffness is a good idea. Better for him to really learn how to ski dynamically and flex his ankles as his body changes than be in too stiff of boot that encourages static (and backseat) skiing. Take him to a shop and see what boots he can flex but doesn't mush through. That's probably a good start.

I take a 24 and it's right below men's sizing, usually women's models but I'm 160/fading advanced whereas a womens size 24 has flex for a lighter person and that's a problem for me, also it eliminates half the boot models out there for me

If junior is only 100 lbs the women's boots shouldn't be too stiff

Junior boots are I think smaller than 24? They have never been on my radar

I did find a Dalbello 4 buckle overlap that was not gender specific and went down to 24
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

thx LS
    def appreciate your input

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I take a 24 and it's right below men's sizing, usually women's models but I'm 160/fading advanced whereas a womens size 24 has flex for a lighter person and that's a problem for me, also it eliminates half the boot models out there for me

If junior is only 100 lbs the women's boots shouldn't be too stiff

Junior boots are I think smaller than 24? They have never been on my radar
    not many, but there are a few junior race boots or junior freeride boots with the larger sizing for the advanced not-yet-adult (i think the point is for lower flex but bigger feet despite not yet mature strength)

My kid is 13, ~105# but taller at 5'7" is in and adult boot now with his size 10 foot. 26.5ish

I go w FT (6 flex) or Dalbello 3 piece (softer). You can swap tongues the next year if he doesn't outgrow the boot. The other advantage is you can get an intuition and remold it the following year after he grows a bit. I'd look for decent deals on these in summer.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

cool, thank you!

Np.

Ebay has some decent deals sometimes as long as you're comfortable with ordering correct size.

On the new, returnable front BC has
    https://www.backcountry.com/full-til...-boot-mens?s=a
    or if he's a bit wider foot and needs softer...
    https://www.backcountry.com/full-til...boot-mens?rr=t

The intuition provides a decent 2 yr fudge factor as it can take up some room in yr #1 and then be expanded in yr #2.

Btw XXX, boys this age are pretty fickle about wearing women's boots. All it takes is for one kid to say something and...

If he's going adult boot, make sure the boot doesn't have too much volume around his lower leg. "Broom in bucket" effect bad for skiing and increases possibility of leg injury.

I suspect cool factor may be more important than fit to him

I have shell fit him various boots over the years and it's sort of funny what sort of "logical" arguments he'll make if he determines it doesn't suit his vibe

#futurelawyervibes

Quote Originally Posted by kim jong un View Post
    Btw XXX, boys this age are pretty fickle about wearing women's boots. All it takes is for one kid to say something and...
    depending on yer foot sometimes you got no choice, just sand off the pink logo eh

My 1st AT boot was the Garmont Xena which was the powder blue womens version of the more manly silver & red (faster eh) endorphin but it fit, I eventualy moved on to the more androgynous mercury then the vulcan ... gave the Xena's to my girlfriend

Most mens boot stop at 25 take the scarpa Maestrale ferinstance its sizing stops at 25 and then it becomes the GEA which I can easily blow thru the flex, if the toe box actualy fit me I could probably break the GEA in < a month

I am such a big Vulcan fanboy cuz it goes down to 23 in non-gender specific sizing and the Dalbello Surge 4 buckle alpine goes to 24 in clear PU plastic and no pink writing ...look for something non gender specific if you can

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    I suspect cool factor may be more important than fit to him

I have shell fit him various boots over the years and it's sort of funny what sort of "logical" arguments he'll make if he determines it doesn't suit his vibe
    I think that ^^ might apply to most of the people reading this

Full tilt is a good option as well, maintain the lateral stiffness but a nice soft progress flex can be achieved w the cabrio build.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Bob, you could have just removed the "s"

Avoid the temptation to put him into a boot he will "grow" into. This may mean 1 season out of the boots before he grows out of them again, but boots that are too big will suck for him as much as they would suck for you but he won't know to complain.

At that size and weight look for a flex rating of @ 90 +/- 10.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Why not the same boot? Nordica Patron Team goes up to a 26.5, as does the Tecnica version (Cochise Jr). Unless he's crushing the flex or his feet are starting to grow in volume (so the proper length boot is too tight) no need to go to adult boots yet IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I think that ^^ might apply to most of the people reading this
    ha, true

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Full tilt is a good option as well, maintain the lateral stiffness but a nice soft progress flex can be achieved w the cabrio build.
    we do have a local where we could try them

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    funny you mention that
    I took a dremel and ground out the 'she' from the
    'she-ride' garmont a/t boot my boy previously wore.
    he is now rocking some og raichle flexon shells with fresh liners.

so anyhow, ac, I bet I can score e an og raichle flexon shell,
    i have a batch of sizes ranging from 262mm to 334mm.
    let me know
    generous offer, will let you know

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Avoid the temptation to put him into a boot he will "grow" into. This may mean 1 season out of the boots before he grows out of them again, but boots that are too big will suck for him as much as they would suck for you but he won't know to complain.

good thoughts, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Why not the same boot? Nordica Patron Team goes up to a 26.5, as does the Tecnica version (Cochise Jr). Unless he's crushing the flex or his feet are starting to grow in volume (so the proper length boot is too tight) no need to go to adult boots yet IMO.
    good question...i think it's a 65 flex in the largest sizes...that was part of my wondering what people thought of that for 100+# skier

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post

100% agree. I was put into size 29 boots as a young teen. Skied in them for 5+ years, before I made enough money to buy a different pair—I now wear size 26 as an adult. Honestly don't know how I skied reasonably well in them for that long, but you adapt I guess. My shoe size hasn't changed since 7th grade.

OP: I would consider the Dalbello cabrio boots (or Full Tilt) so you have the ability to change out the tongues if he gets bigger/stronger and his foot doesn't change size. I like Dalbello more because they have a more anatomical last, IMHO, but Full Tilt might be easier to score for cheap.

There are also kids race boots (e.g., Lange RS SC and Head B5), but they are more for the opposite problem from your kid: short hard charger with a small foot. Your kid seems light with a pretty large foot.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    100% agree. I was put into size 29 boots as a young teen. Skied in them for 5+ years, before I made enough money to buy a different pair—I now wear size 26 as an adult. Honestly don't know how I skied reasonably well in them for that long, but you adapt I guess. My shoe size hasn't changed since 7th grade.

OP: I would consider the Dalbello cabrio boots (or Full Tilt) so you have the ability to change out the tongues if he gets bigger/stronger and his foot doesn't change size. I like Dalbello more because they have a more anatomical last, IMHO, but Full Tilt might be easier to score for cheap.

There are also kids race boots (e.g., Lange RS SC and Head B5), but they are more for the opposite problem from your kid: short hard charger with a small foot. Your kid seems light with a pretty large foot.
    Glad I wasn't the only one - was in a mondo 30 boot for a most of my teen years. Now skiing in a 26...

This is TGR.

Your kid needs 140 flex Lange racing boots.

What you do to spin it with a teeneager is find the boot and then figure out what hot shot skier is spancered by the company

When I met her the GF was in a pair of 26.5 Dalbellos with fur lining but she fits my old size 24 Garmont Xena perfectly

Her 4'9" daughter is now using the 26.5 Dalbellos

the old GF was an actual size 38.5/23 mondo and she had size 26 Garmont tele boots

i think lots of people are in boots that are comfortable boots because they are too big

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    This is TGR.

Your kid needs 140 flex Lange racing boots.
    In red

Plus custom fit process, Intuitions, orthotic foot beds, grinding & punching

And a TR

Regarding the oversized boots posts above, I still think he's still in the "comfort fit" world until he tells me he wants a more precise fit

I'll let him figure that out -- I suspect he'll get to a day when he wants some more responsiveness. Until then, I think I just need to make sure he's not floating in there.

Women's boots sound like a bad idea. They are not designed for skinny kid legs. They are designed with a woman's lower calf taper in mind. In other words, they are typically lower and wider in the cuff than their male equivalents.
    I would imagine 70 to 90 flex big kid boots would be good.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

My best friend's son used to wear his sisters clothes and shoes. He's now a successful dancer on Broadway.

If your boy wants women's boots, embrace it, and tell him you'll still love him.