Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by kim jong un View Post
    My best friend's son used to wear his sisters clothes and shoes. He's now a successful dancer on Broadway.

If your boy wants women's boots, embrace it, and tell him you'll still love him.
    He can grow up to be anything but acinpdx's boy doesn't strike me as a prancer.

When I was about your kid's age I got the most badass boots I could get my hands on. I think they were some kind of early 90s iron-flex hot-shit Technicas. They basically came up to my knee and I couldn't even hint at flexing them. My skiing went to crap, I discovered shin-bang, and started growing bunions. Still the worst boots I've ever owned.

Good info.

Acinpdx,
    As much as there are probably some really good deals to be had, resist the temptation to get early 90's iron-flex hot-shit Tecnicas for the boy.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Sorry, the implied message was meant to be "Good on you for taking care to consider appropriate flex and fit for your kid. It's important." I wish someone had for me, despite how cool I looked. My feet are still fucked up!

I think it's important to not go too stiff. You certainly don't want something so soft that they are pushing through the flex and popping buckles open, but you also don't want something they can't flex. My son's ski race coaches usually recommend softer boots even for better skiers. Their mantra: ankle flexion. It's part of the reason I still use tele gear. Your knees and hips can't work properly if you can't use your ankles properly. They're all connected.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    This is TGR.

Your kid needs 140 flex Lange racing boots.
    My 2 year old easily over flexed his 140's. Moved him into Dalbello Scorpion 170's. Don't want to hold back his progression.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    My 2 year old easily over flexed his 140's. Moved him into Dalbello Scorpion 170's. Don't want to hold back his progression.
    Have you tried early 90s hot shit iron flex Tecnicas?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Have you looked at driver plates?

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Your knees and hips can't work properly if you can't use your ankles properly. They're all connected.*
    *See Hall, Tanner; Gap, Chad's

(appreciate your thoughts, mike, thank you)

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Have you looked at driver plates?
    Double decker Derbyflex plates.

With kids too soft is better than too stiff. After the '65 flex' jr boots you move into the 90 flex jr race boots and their variations. These are usually a variation of the 80-90flex women's boots with a colder firmer liner. Since they are essentially adult boots you get a pretty sizable weight increase. The thicker plastic can also feel harsh and drastically stiffen up if tightened down around skinny lower legs. Lange RS 90SC, Tecnica 90R, Atomic Redster 90pro, etc.

You can get Technica Diablo/Race Pro in 60 and 70 flex. I think 80 as well, so there are options to step up gradually.

i'll look into those

That's a 4 buckle "race" boot that Owen uses for everything: race, freeride and backcountry. He's had 3-4 pair and loves them. Always been a good fit for him. I have two pair for sale in Kid Swap thread. Both are size 21.5. One is 60 one is 70.

Owen is finally going to be able to fit into his mama's boots so we might try him in her Scarpa Gea. I need to get him into a tech binding system. The Marker Squire is too heavy for a 70# kid.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Owen is finally going to be able to fit into his mama's boots so we might try him in her Scarpa Gea. I need to get him into a tech binding system. The Marker Squire is too heavy for a 70# kid.
    I realize you probably don't have a ton of money to spend, especially on a growing kid, but the Atomic Backland comes in a true 22 (248 mm bsl) and is most likely soft enough for a 70# kid.

Wanted to throw it out there in case others are looking to get their kiddos into tech set ups. With the memory-fit shell, you might be able to get 2 or maybe even 3 seasons out of them if you start with a higher volume intuition and then step down to a thin liner and mold the shell.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kim jong un View Post
    My kid is 13, ~105# but taller at 5'7" is in and adult boot now with his size 10 foot. 26.5ish

I go w FT (6 flex) or Dalbello 3 piece (softer). You can swap tongues the next year if he doesn't outgrow the boot. The other advantage is you can get an intuition and remold it the following year after he grows a bit. I'd look for decent deals on these in summer.
    following this advice

found a FT descendant 6
    it's a half size too big as we sit here in Aug & I can still fit him in his current boot so not messing with his bindings just yet, but I will track how he grows as we get closer to actual snow season

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    *See Hall, Tanner; Gap, Chad's
    Missed this the first time. Gave me a good chuckle.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

boot flex for kid?

My son told me today he's down with wearing ladies boots. He told me they are probably better than kids boots and he thinks he'll fit. Doesn't give a damn about colour. This is the kid that purposely wears mismatched socks. He just bought new girls pink soccer socks for training.

At his age (11) I was wearing a men's 8 shoe. Luckily I'm only 11.5-12 now. I know a 16 year old guy with 17 boot. Dale custom.

Mine doesn't have any issues with a women's boot either--funny kids