Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7
    That was the same thing I used. Going to try again with fresher eggs. Mine came out with yolks almost set, whites very runny. Didn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Fiedler View Post
    I use this page. https://sansaire.com/getstarted/getstarted-eggs/ you can select which egg you like and it gives you the temp and time. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

I'm curious how these units work. Do you have to know the time it takes? Or does the unit tell you when it is at temp? And if not, what is the consequence of leaving a piece of meat in there for a long time at the "correct" temp?

For example, a piece of beef that you want at, say, 130. Do you need to know that it will take, say, 5 hours? Or can you just set it at 130 and the unit will let you know when it is at that temp (ie, it no longer needs to heat the water as much because the meat has reached the same temp as the water and isn't taking the heat out of the water)?

And if it was at 130 after 5 hours, but you left it going for another 5 hours, will the meat be the same, or will it degrade in some fashion? Or, if it's in a marinade, will it taste even better?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

you have to keep track of time, at least with the one I have. There seems to be a range of time in which you won't ruin the food, but it there is some wiggle room. There's a chart here https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...perature-guide which gives a pretty good idea of time ranges once temp is achieved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I'm curious how these units work. Do you have to know the time it takes? Or does the unit tell you when it is at temp? And if not, what is the consequence of leaving a piece of meat in there for a long time at the "correct" temp?

For example, a piece of beef that you want at, say, 130. Do you need to know that it will take, say, 5 hours? Or can you just set it at 130 and the unit will let you know when it is at that temp (ie, it no longer needs to heat the water as much because the meat has reached the same temp as the water and isn't taking the heat out of the water)?

And if it was at 130 after 5 hours, but you left it going for another 5 hours, will the meat be the same, or will it degrade in some fashion? Or, if it's in a marinade, will it taste even better?
    Vegetables are much more sensitive to time. Meat is quite forgiving. I could pull the roast I just put in tonight, tomorrow night or Thursday night. Although tonight it would still be tough anywhere there is connective tissue. On Thursday it will still be medium rare, but the connective tissue will be super soft. The collagen and tough tissue continue to break down with time even at 133.

I left a beef tongue in at 145 for 4 days. It was outstanding. Texture was soft but firm. Made amazing tacos.

Danno: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/f...ide-steak.html

Plenty of other sous vide guides on seriouseats besides this one, but it gives a good overview of the process and answers all of your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    Yeah but it's really, really, really, really good bacon.
    Is there really any bad bacon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    you have to keep track of time, at least with the one I have. There seems to be a range of time in which you won't ruin the food, but it there is some wiggle room. There's a chart here https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...perature-guide which gives a pretty good idea of time ranges once temp is achieved.
    The whole time thing seems to be a bit subjective, I think the people selling these cookers are full of shit saying these devices cannot overcook food.

They are trying to sell a gimmick that any idiot can cook a perfect steak and that is just not going to happen if you leave a steak at 130f for 4 hours. I cooked that ribeye for 1:20 at 129f and it came out medium, it's still tasted amazing but it was not medium rare.

I cooked an egg for 7 days at 117 degrees. Superb for deviling
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Heres the chuck roast. It could be cut with a fork but was medium rare throughout. Cooked for 32 hours. I don't know of any other way this can be cooked.

Do you have to know the time it takes? Or does the unit tell you when it is at temp? And if not, what is the consequence of leaving a piece of meat in there for a long time at the "correct" temp?
    There's an app for that.

My favorite application is the big holiday or party meals. Turkey takes a long time, but with Sous Vide you don't have to do much, plus finishing on the grill tastes great, and is very quick, so you're free to drink the Pinot without worry. BTW, yolks and whites have different temps, so eggs are tricky.
    I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.

-Winston Churchill

The whole time thing seems to be a bit subjective, I think the people selling these cookers are full of shit saying these devices cannot overcook food.

They are trying to sell a gimmick that any idiot can cook a perfect steak and that is just not going to happen if you leave a steak at 130f for 4 hours. I cooked that ribeye for 1:20 at 129f and it came out medium, it's still tasted amazing but it was not medium rare.
    Bring the temp down to 126 deg. Did you sear afterwards?

Not a gimmick, you just need some more practice.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post

Heres the chuck roast. It could be cut with a fork but was medium rare throughout. Cooked for 32 hours. I don't know of any other way this can be cooked.
    Nice. This is one of the great benefits to sous vide. Take tough cuts and make them as tender, juicy and flavorful as you want.

Before or after finishing? How did you finish it?

Im being a little repetitive here but.. Unless super thick (2") Ive found steaks are very hard to sear and not over cook. For 1" steaks ive found it almost impossible to sear without over cooking. A super super hot cast iron pan will help for a quick sear but the only truly effective way ive found is to bring the temp back down after sous vide to room or fridge temp then sear. But that is a lot of work and I dont see the point for ribeyes etc.

Even that chuck roast ( which was every bit of 2) got a little closer to medium than it was pre sear.
    Last edited by neufox47; 07-26-2017 at 09:51 PM.

Are you guys cooking with cabela vac bags?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using TGR Forums mobile app
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Before or after finishing? How did you finish it?

Im being a little repetitive here but.. Unless super thick (2") Ive found steaks are very hard to sear and not over cook. For 1" steaks ive found it almost impossible to sear without over cooking. A super super hot cast iron pan will help for a quick sear but the only truly effective way ive found is to bring the temp back down after sous vide to room or fridge temp then sear. But that is a lot of work and I dont see the point for ribeyes etc.

Even that chuck roast ( which was every bit of 2) got a little closer to medium than it was pre sear.
    It is probably the sear bringing it up to medium temp, on my second try I cooked two rib eyes at 122f for an hour. Same thing happened as before with the Tbone, great sear, medium temp.

For seating I'm using a red hot cast iron pan on top of a turkey fryer stand and smoke up the backyard about a min a side. I'll try again tonight with another ribeye at 120f for 45 mins and maybe a 30 sec sear and see how that turns out.

No. I use foodsaver brand They claim to not contain any Bisphenol A and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has determined to be safe for food use.... If that means anything :-P