Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    You clearly don't know how to use the temperature control, and arrangement of your grill, to control the cook to get the results you desire.

Sous Vide is like using a fully automatic combo grinder espresso machine because it's impossible to make a good espresso otherwise. Most of those people would be better served by a kurig because they can't tell the difference. Sous Vide is like the McDonald's method, Ragu and no name pasta...what I'm advocating for is like home made, from scratch, Italian sauce and noodles.

Sous Vide is the lazy, window lickers way out of actually crafting or learning or tending to something.

Go ahead, boil your meat in a bag like that heathen DD.
    I don't sous vide, and I know how to cook a steak. But please enlighten me how you cook a steak that has a crust, but is at the desired inside temp for the entire inside of the steak.

I want to know your jedi ways, and I want to know how long it takes to cook, say, a one inch steak.

I'm tired of people acting like anyone who doesn't do things their way is an idiot. You want to call all the people in here idiots? Fine. But you say you're advocating for something, yet you haven't advocated for a goddam thing, all you've done is act holier than thou. So until you point me to your method...
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

The thought of cooking anything in a plastic bag is less than appealing but the consistency aspect is a plus for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I don't sous vide, and I know how to cook a steak. But please enlighten me how you cook a steak that has a crust, but is at the desired inside temp for the entire inside of the steak.

I want to know your jedi ways, and I want to know how long it takes to cook, say, a one inch steak.

I'm tired of people acting like anyone who doesn't do things their way is an idiot. You want to call all the people in here idiots? Fine. But until you point me to your method...
    Way to many variables to your question. Cut of meat? Marbling? Density? Bone? Temperature and humidity around the grill? Weight? Size?

Your question betrays you lack of skill and knowledge.

Come on up to Canada sometime and I'll enlighten you in person. Place to stay and MTB or ski guiding in multiple resort or touring in the Rockies for you and yours included. Seriously.

If you know, you know. If you don't, you don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

If this is happening on a grill, you are not a steak cooking ninja.

Get some real cooking skills.
    kthxs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	225.0 KB 
ID:	209541

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	266.7 KB 
ID:	209542

Your question betrays you lack of skill and knowledge.
    bullshit

i don't have a sous vide but it makes perfect sense and your response is just blowing smoke.

grilling a steak in a traditional manner makes a great product - but the attributes of sous vide cooking can't be denied

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    bullshit

i don't have a sous vide but it makes perfect sense and your response is just blowing smoke.
    Smoking meat is a whole other art and science. I have no experience there.

If Danno's question makes "perfect sense" to you, please enlighten us all...

How long does it take to cook a "1 inch steak"?

If you think Danno's question makes perfect sense, you have even less knowledge and skill than he.

In case it wasn't obvious to you, you're trolling and are acting like an asshole.

And I asked you for your method, and all you did was response with bullshit. So here, I will ask again, but allow you to fill in all the blanks of
    Cut of meat? Marbling? Density? Bone? Temperature and humidity around the grill? Weight? Size?
    I set the parameter 1" but change that too. Tell us every basic detail, approximation is fine. And tell us how long it takes you to cook it. Approximately.

Do you even have a clue why I asked that question about the 1" steak?
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

In case it wasn't obvious to you, you're trolling and are acting like an asshole.

And I asked you for your method, and all you did was response with bullshit. So here, I will ask again, but allow you to fill in all the blanks of

I set the parameter 1" but change that too. Tell us every basic detail, approximation is fine. And tell us how long it takes you to cook it. Approximately.

Do you even have a clue why I asked that question about the 1" steak?
    Danno, your question is the equivalent of asking "how long do you cook a 1" fish?"

I can't help you with the fact that you don't recognize the vagary of your own question.

And my invitation stands.

You're out of your depth Danno.

Danno, your question is the equivalent of asking "how long do you cook a 1" fish?"

I can't help you with the fact that you don't recognize the vagary of your own question.

And my invitation stands.

You're out of your depth Danno.
    Yes, I recognize my original question was vague, but here I am asking you define all the variables, and you still refuse to; I asked you to answer every question you need an answer to, just tell us what that answer is, what you want it to be, and you still can't. And you still don't understand why I asked the question about the 1" steak, however vague it may have been (hint: an acceptable answer might have been something like "8-10 minutes, depending on some variables", or "3-4 hours"). Yes, someone is out of their depth.

Yes, I recognize my original question was vague, but here I am asking you define all the variables, and you still refuse to; I asked you to answer every question you need an answer to, just tell us what that answer is, what you want it to be, and you still can't. And you still don't understand why I asked the question about the 1" steak, however vague it may have been. Yes, someone is out of their depth.
    Danno,

You're doubling down on your ignorance, and it shows.

Have a good evening.

Anyone here into Sous Vide cooking?

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    The thought of cooking anything in a plastic bag is less than appealing but the consistency aspect is a plus for sure.
    Pretty much my thoughts.

We are men, we make fire, hear us roar. There is something soulful about cooking a perfect steak over flames, you lose that when soft boiling your meat in a bag. I'm more interested in methods to cook at much hotter temps with ease (looking at kamado ovens)

Not going to lie, There is an appeal to a poached egg sous vide, mmmmmmmmmm

Odds are if you've eaten at a nice modern restaurant ( Crush- Seattle, Chef Jason Wilson, Panzano- Denver CO, Chef Elise Wiggins, many many more ) you've had a steak or veggies that had been cooked sous vide hours before you even ordered the bastard then it was seared and finished off to how ever cooked you requested.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Fiedler View Post
    Odds are if you've eaten at a nice modern restaurant ( Crush- Seattle, Chef Jason Wilson, Panzano- Denver CO, Chef Elise Wiggins, many many more ) you've had a steak or veggies that had been cooked sous vide hours before you even ordered the bastard then it was seared and finished off to how ever cooked you requested.
    Exactly.

Mass marketed, hundreds at a time...like Ragu sauce and no-name pasta, or that Starbucks espresso or coffee.

Because most of the La-Z-Boy Cowboys can't tell the difference.

You have clearly established you're not into sous vide cooking. Thanks for your input.

Now GTFO

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    You have clearly established you're not into sous vide cooking. Thanks for your input.

Now GTFO
    Welcome to TGR, jong.

Welcome to TGR, jong.
    I've been around twice as long as you have. I just don't pad my post count with worthless bullshit.

Smoking meat is a whole other art and science. I have no experience there.

If Danno's question makes "perfect sense" to you, please enlighten us all...

If you think Danno's question makes perfect sense, you have even less knowledge and skill than he.
    because I know how to cook dumb ass

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    I've been around twice as long as you have. I just don't pad my post count with worthless bullshit.
    Hahaha.

Actually, I've been around at least as long as you, dumbass jong. This isn't my first rodeo.
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 07-17-2017 at 08:03 PM.

You just sound stupid reckless.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    You just sound stupid reckless.
    Please enlighten us.

How long do you cook a "1 inch steak"?

Just here to see how this turns out...

Overdone.

I like how all the people shitting on sous vide have never had it.

Like I said, I can't tell much of a difference for steak, unless doing the whole ribeye, etc. Sous vide pot roast compared to any other pot roast method is like arguing that old 210cm straight skis with camber are better than modern pow skis, you just don't have skills to use 65mm underfoot straight skis with massive camber in powder.

Many if not most of the best chefs in the world use sous vide. Unless any of you ignoramuses who are shitting on sous vide run a restaurant with a michelin star or three, you should shut your ignorant pie holes.
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...-baths-cooking

Reckless, face it, you have never made a single dish, never mind an entree that would pass muster in a 1 michelin star restaurant.

Exactly.

Mass marketed, hundreds at a time...like Ragu sauce and no-name pasta, or that Starbucks espresso or coffee.

Because most of the La-Z-Boy Cowboys can't tell the difference.
    Have you ever worked in a professional kitchen? There is a huge difference between Ragu and what is being produced in most restaurants (no, I don't consider McDonalds a restaurant).

You simply can not get the same results with a Grill that you can with Sous Vide. You may prefer the grilling results, but they are not comparable. You are simply showing your ignorance in the matter.

I continue to Grill and smoke my meats for any number of reasons. It is quicker, I don't need to buy new equipment and perfect new recipes, and I have no issues with my cooking results, even when things go poorly and I get distracted and food over cooks a bit. It still like. That said, there are so many things that can be cooked differently (better or worse are just opinions) with the sous vide method.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I like how all the people shitting on sous vide have never had it.

Like I said, I can't tell much of a difference for steak, unless doing the whole ribeye, etc. Sous vide pot roast compared to any other pot roast method is like arguing that old 210cm straight skis with camber are better than modern pow skis, you just don't have skills to use 65mm underfoot straight skis with massive camber in powder.

Many if not most of the best chefs in the world use sous vide. Unless any of you ignoramuses who are shitting on sous vide run a restaurant with a michelin star or three, you should shut your ignorant pie holes.
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...-baths-cooking

Reckless, face it, you have never made a single dish, never mind an entree that would pass muster in a 1 michelin star restaurant.
    Just gonna point out that having said star is not the end all of good food. There are thousands upon thousands of places that will never get a star that I'd prefer to eat at. The Michelin rating has a lot more to do with service, ambiance and plain old snootiness than just the food. Sure, the food needs to be great, but there is way more to it than that.

I feel like this is deja vu, as if I've entered the Michelin argument before on TGR.

Regardless, it is an excellent point. I would not hire a chef to run my kitchen if he eschewed SV like RT does. It would demonstrate their ignorance and bias against new methods. The best chefs are excited to try anything. Also, if I ever open a noodle and salad shack, sous Vide will be involved for the meat prep. It works so damn well.

As for pot roast, can you link a sous Vide example? I make a damn good pot roast in the oven and would be hard pressed to see how I could get better results from the bag. Curious. But it is not like I would want my pot roast meat medium rare, so not sure where the advantage would be.