Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    sous vide beef shanks a la osso buco.
    How was it?

Was a good start. I think the temp might need to be a little higher. Meat had that texture peculiar to the shank - no matter the animal - so it had plenty of tooth. It was tender but it could have been more falling-off-the-bone-y. Flavors after reducing the cooking liquid were terrific.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Just noticed monoprice has an immersion cooker for $69.95.

Ugh, going be out seventy bucks here in a sec
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Hope it doesn't turn out like the Work Sharp deal I turned everyone on to.....

I've found beef to become mushy at the longer cooking times. I do feel there is a difference between a nice tender meat, and the over done sous vide, but i love a good few hours 2 1/2" thick cowboy chop out of them fancy food boilers
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Oft's NYE sous vide tri tip was delicious.

Thanks again buddy!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Oft boiled me another steak last night.... now I'm googling immersion circulators.

My resistance has broken! Towel has been thrown down.
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 07-16-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Ha. As much as you like meat, you should definitely get one.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I wonder if this thread is where digitaldeath got the idea to boil meat?

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    I wonder if this thread is where digitaldeath got the idea to boil meat?
    No he was cooking steaks in non-stock Teflon pans on medium heat from a coil electric stove since before this thread started. I think he also experimented with baking a steak at 350.

Made a Charles roast as a trial run for next week. Dry rub salt and pepper for 12 hours then 132 degrees for 30 hours. Sear in a pan and under the broiler to get a crust. Poured the juices to deglaze the roasting pan then added garlic, black pepper, and butter to make a pan sauce. Turned a Chuck roast into a tenderloin.

Name:  IMG_1278.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  102.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1280.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  145.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We're big into sous vide for swordfish and octopus. Haven't ventured to much beyond that besides some mediocre salmon, but need to pull the machine out more often and try it.

What am I missing? Once the meat hits any desired temp— why keep soaking it at that temp?

30 hours seems no more beneficial than 2 hours (or however long it takes to reach temp.)

Smokers typically take several hours at low heat to reach temp. But doesn’t sous vide reach temp more quickly?

Also no smoke. No bark.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Every so often i get a corned beef out and SV it for about 50hrs at 148F then do a slow cooker with the cabbage, taters and other veggies in a bit of bone broth. Top it off with some Colemans.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    What am I missing? Once the meat hits any desired temp— why keep soaking it at that temp?

30 hours seems no more beneficial than 2 hours (or however long it takes to reach temp.)

Smokers typically take several hours at low heat to reach temp. But doesn’t sous vide reach temp more quickly?

Also no smoke. No bark.

Staying at a low temp for a long time does things to the fat and protein and connective tissue, it's sciencey. You think a chuck roast would be chewable the second it hit 132?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

The Germans used to do this with vinegar.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Staying at a low temp for a long time does things to the fat and protein and connective tissue, it's sciencey. You think a chuck roast would be chewable the second it hit 132?
    Collagen (the connective tissue) transforms into gelatin with heat and moisture. That can take a day or two at 130F, or only a couple hours at 180+F.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post

Also no smoke. No bark.

Say you are smoking something like a pork shoulder.

Yes, you might pull it as soon as it hits your target temp, but how long does it spend at "cooking" temps along the way? Connective tissue starts to break down around 130F

Here's an internal temperature log from some random person's smoke:
    Name:  BrisketTempProfile.JPG
Views: 127
Size:  47.4 KB

Even though he pulls it as soon as it hits 190F, it spends 9 hours above the temps where it is "cooking" and breaking down. If he put it in a cooler to rest, it will probably spend a couple more hours at those temps before eating.

In sous vide, you're changing the game a bit. Instead of cooking at a HIGHER temp than you want and waiting for the meat to slowly catch up, you cook at exactly the temp you want, but because of the water+circulation, the meat heats up to that temp relatively fast. So to get the break down effect, you have to hold it at that temp for a while.

This lets you do different things though. It would be almost impossible to safely hold a piece of meat at something like 140F for hours in a smoker. To get core temps that high, you'd have to cook the outside meat way hotter--if you lower the smoke temp to keep the outside low, your inside will never cook.
    With sous vide, you can throw short ribs in the bath at 140, leave them there for 48 hours--you'll end up with soft tender meat, but it will still have color and be "meaty" and moist. Very different texture than if you smoked them to 200F

Yes, you won't get any smoke flavor or bark--so don't use it when that's what you want. In something like the momofuku short ribs, the meat is cooked in a marinade, fried to a crisp, and then served in a sauce made from the cooking liquid.

Anyone here into Sous Vide cooking?

Well, don’t forget you put the flavors you want in the bag with whatever you’re Sous Viding. I put all the typical turkey spices in the bag with my turkey breasts, including sometimes duck fat or butter, and all of that essentially gets infused into the meat.
    I mean, it’s not for everything or everybody. I’ve tried sous viding salmon and I think it’s just a waste of time, instead of throwing it on the pan and searing for four minutes each side or whatever. Also, from many things, it’s just simply different, not necessarily better. For example, go ahead and try carrots sous vide. To me, they taste really really good that way.
    Also, I want to again say that when you’re doing a big dinner party, it really saves on time that you now can use to be walking around getting drunk with your guests. E.G., you can make mashed potatoes ahead of time and just have them in the fridge, then when it’s time, throw them in the sous vide to get them to temperature and they’re ready to eat in minutes .
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Yeah 30 hours seems excessive/unnecessary.

I think PNW has me blocked because he doesn’t like my thoughts on Palestine, but he’s wrong about the time here:

When cooking tough meats, the dissolving of collagen into gelatin and the reduction of inter-fiber adhesion is important and this takes either a long time or high temperatures. Prolonged cooking (e.g., braising) has been used to make tough cuts of meat more palatable since ancient times. Indeed, prolonged cooking can more than double the tenderness of the meat by dissolving all the collagen into gelatin and reducing inter-fiber adhesion to essentially nothing (Davey et al., 1976). At 80 °C/176 °F, Davey et al. (1976)found that these effects occur within about 12–24 h with tenderness increasing only slightly when cooked for 50–100 h.At lower temperatures (50 °C/120 °F to 65 °C/150 °F), Bouton and Harris (1981) found that tough cuts of beef (from animals 0–4 years old) were the most tender when cooked to between 55 °C/131 °F and 60 °C/140 °F. Cooking the beef for 24 h at these temperatures significantly increased its tenderness (with shear forces decreasing 26–72% compared to 1 h of cooking). This tenderizing is caused by weakening of connective tissue and proteolytic enzymes decreasing myofibrillar tensile strength. Indeed, collagen begins to dissolve into gelatin above about 55 °F/131 °F (This, 2006). Moreover, the sarcoplasmic protein enzyme collagenase remains active below 60 °C/140 °F and can significantly tenderize the meat if held for more than 6 h (Tornberg, 2005).
    For example, tough cuts of meat, like beef chuck and pork shoulder, take 10–12 h at 80 °C/175 °F or 1–2 days at 55–60 °C/130–140 °F to become fork-tender. Intermediate cuts of meat, like beef sirloin, only need 6–8 h at 55–60 °C/130–140 °F to become fork-tender because the tenderization from the enzyme collagenase is sufficient.”

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...11000035#s0070

Stop it with your science talk! We ain't boiling our meat!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Stop it with your science talk! We ain't boiling our meat!
    Would you considered beating your meat?

Anyone here into Sous Vide cooking?

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Would you considered beating your meat?
    I thought this thread was about beating your meat over boiling meat?