Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Mmmm, made pork belly a while ago in the classic ginger, fish sauce, soy sauce combo. 72 hrs at 150 IIRC, then cut them and seared. Made a reduction with some of the juice and made sliders with them. Fucking amazing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app

^^^Yeah, I have a couple of pork bellies in the freezer that are going to see action soon....
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    You'd think that with all the time you spend waiting for your shit to boil, you'd have time to paint that wall.
    I Lol'd.

Are you sous viders not concerned about plastic leaching?

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    You can definitely Sous Vide plastic leaches, and they're delicious!
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    You can definitely Sous Vide plastic leaches, and they're delicious!
    Still a bit tough despite cooking them for 20 hours at 71 degrees. And they're non-organic to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Every time I research this, my enthusiasm for sous vide wanes. For me, plastic leeching is not just about BPA.

Of course (from the perspective of grilled meat - not other things you can cook with sous vide), there's the argument that grilling and it's attendant free radical production is worse. Still, the more we learn about plastics, the less of them I want in my body ;-)

I get that there are a lot of folks who dedicate time and energy to cooking. For them (many of my friends), it's an art form and sous vide offers different possibilities. For me, food is about preparing high quality fuel for my body as quickly and efficiently as possible, so I can get on with the rest of my life. Sous vide seems to take quite a bit longer, which makes it a non-starter for me.

Different strokes.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 07-24-2017 at 12:00 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Every time I research this, my enthusiasm for sous vide wanes. For me, plastic leeching is not just about BPA.
    What research? Share a few links if you got them because I would be interested in learning any downside to cooking this way. So far I haven't read anything that shows there are negative health issues.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Tried some eggs this morning. 45 minutes at 152f following a recommended time/temp. Yolks were nice if a little solid, and whites did not completely set. Could have been the eggs which were from the supermarket and not incredibly fresh.
    45 minutes for eggs? WTF?

I'll go with 45 seconds per side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HD333 View Post
    45 minutes for eggs? WTF?

I'll go with 45 seconds per side.
    Yeah, I can see the sense of sous vide in many circumstances, but eggs doesn't seem one of them.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    What research? Share a few links if you got them because I would be interested in learning any downside to cooking this way. So far I haven't read anything that shows there are negative health issues.
    I'm curious about this, but haven't found anything definitive on the subject - a lot of dancing around the topic. References to BPA are much more specific and peer-reviewed.

I gave up digging for this when I decided the sous vide process doesn't work for me - from a time commitment perspective. I'm working on the assumption however, that someone has to prove to me that any plastic (when heated) won't outgas and leach.

One of the counter-arguments (assuming there's a degree of leaching from all plastics) is that there's so much environmentally sourced plastic crap in our bodies from a myriad of sources (when compared with a human living in the 1950's), that how much harm will a bit more do?

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yeah, I can see the sense of sous vide in many circumstances, but eggs doesn't seem one of them.
    eggs are acutally the perfect sous vide vehicle for all you's bitching about cooking in plastic.

perfect poached egg consistency every time?

bring on the hollandaise!

Yeah, eggs and fish seem like the only thing I would use that for.
    I guess if you lived in an apartment building in a big city and a smoker was out of the question, but you really wanted to do slow cooking, this might do it. Or a Crock-Pot.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    eggs are acutally the perfect sous vide vehicle for all you's bitching about cooking in plastic.

bring on the hollandaise!
    45 minutes later

pfft
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    45 minutes later

pfft
    Some of us have the mental capacity to plan ahead. I don't expect you to understand.

Did you tell your mom thanks for the meatloaf?

K thx bye

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    Please share your insight as mine didn't run out very well.

3rd experiment successful.

Leg of lamb, boned, halved lengthwise then butterflied. Rolled each piece up with lots of minced garlic and tapenade, tied them off. Cooked at 129f bath. then a quick sear on the TEC at high. Sear took away the full edge-to-edge doneness, but it sure didn't hurt the project much.

The smaller one got to 125f core temp in 2 hours, the larger one didn't (118) so left it in a little longer. Larger one now seared off and fridges for French dips tomorrow.

Came out pretty fucking great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1991.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	209791  

If you're cooking with garlic make sure to get it up to a high enough temp to kill the botulism. I don't think 130 is enough.

Please share your insight as mine didn't run out very well.
    I use this page. https://sansaire.com/getstarted/getstarted-eggs/ you can select which egg you like and it gives you the temp and time. :-)

3rd experiment successful.

Leg of lamb, boned, halved lengthwise then butterflied. Rolled each piece up with lots of minced garlic and tapenade, tied them off. Cooked at 129f bath. then a quick sear on the TEC at high. Sear took away the full edge-to-edge doneness, but it sure didn't hurt the project much.

The smaller one got to 125f core temp in 2 hours, the larger one didn't (118) so left it in a little longer. Larger one now seared off and fridges for French dips tomorrow.

Came out pretty fucking great.
    That's the stuff I want to do, no cooks longer than a few hours.
    Chicken and steak take about an hour, the bacon took 8 hours plus a few minutes in the cast iron, came out tender, crispy & chewy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	764.2 KB 
ID:	209801

8 hours plus a few minutes in the cast iron as opposed to a few minutes in the cast iron. The mind boggles.

Yeah but it's really, really, really, really good bacon.

The food grade bags are all bpa free now days. I do have concerns about the plastic, but I'm typically cooking at 125 to 150 anyways. Which isn't really hot enough to cause rapid degradation of these plastics. Almost every coffee maker puts (close to) boiling water through plastic. While it is a concern I personally am not too worried about it. I have went to using a coffee system that doesnt touch plastic.

Just dropped a chuck roast in at 133. Will post the results tomorrow or Thursday. Haven't decided yet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app

That was the same thing I used. Going to try again with fresher eggs. Mine came out with yolks almost set, whites very runny. Didn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Fiedler View Post
    I use this page. https://sansaire.com/getstarted/getstarted-eggs/ you can select which egg you like and it gives you the temp and time. :-)

I'm curious how these units work. Do you have to know the time it takes? Or does the unit tell you when it is at temp? And if not, what is the consequence of leaving a piece of meat in there for a long time at the "correct" temp?

For example, a piece of beef that you want at, say, 130. Do you need to know that it will take, say, 5 hours? Or can you just set it at 130 and the unit will let you know when it is at that temp (ie, it no longer needs to heat the water as much because the meat has reached the same temp as the water and isn't taking the heat out of the water)?

And if it was at 130 after 5 hours, but you left it going for another 5 hours, will the meat be the same, or will it degrade in some fashion? Or, if it's in a marinade, will it taste even better?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy