Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 188
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Peaking in Chads Window
    Posts
    678

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,271
    ^^^thanks for that! Just ordered up one of the $99 specials!
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    18,013
    http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/...-tub-1.4210402

    taking sous vide to the next level eh?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    46,990
    I'm gonna throw a leg of lamb in my bathtub and see how it goes. Should be fine, right? The house is 72 degrees, so the cooking time should be what, 2 weeks?

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,981
    Even WalMart is getting into the Sous Vide game.





    https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/aquarium-heaters
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    154
    Plenty of online instructions on building your own immersion circulator for cheap. This was more popular when they were over $1K

    Or shop for used lab equipment on ebay, like this one (just wipe off the radiation/medical waste before using for the first time)

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Precision-Sc...-/222507005101

    or this one

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/MGW-LAUDA-TH...3D222507005101

    edit to add - nevermind

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    46,990
    Let's all spend more money to cook bad food more slowly.

    yeah no

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Imaginationland
    Posts
    3,659
    Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    We need Billy Mays mojo to sell this to America.
    I'll grow my beard out if you supply me the cocaine.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    46,990
    Are you positive you can deliver on the beard?

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Let's all spend more money to cook bad food more slowly.

    yeah no
    Do you even food science bro?

  11. #111
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    37ft above the hood
    Posts
    16,310
    Sous my sick op

    Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using TGR Forums mobile app
    Zone Controller

    "He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

    "DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    5,076
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/...-tub-1.4210402

    taking sous vide to the next level eh?
    Where's 0bernhardfranz? He was all about the lamb expeditions in Iceland

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Imaginationland
    Posts
    3,659
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Are you positive you can deliver on the beard?
    Yes. I can grow a "Billy Mays" quality beard. Can you supply the powdered enthusiasm?

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28,862
    sous vide lends itself to herb more so than blow imo
    .

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    righthere/rightnow
    Posts
    2,340
    This is it, a heater coil with a propeller and digital temp, etc. Drill a hole in a cooler and it's a stoner version of a crock pot.

    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 203
Size:  122.8 KB



    Boiled Tbone

    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 198
Size:  182.0 KB

    Boiled rosemarygaliclemonchicken

    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 194
Size:  159.0 KB

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    2,068
    Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    This is it, a heater coil with a propeller and digital temp, etc. Drill a hole in a cooler and it's a stoner version of a crock pot.

    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 203
Size:  122.8 KB
    Nice.

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hugh's Mom's House
    Posts
    11,831
    You'd think that with all the time you spend waiting for your shit to boil, you'd have time to paint that wall.

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    19,979
    There's slow cooking and then there's whatever the fuck this is
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    16,592

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,271
    My two first adventures with the Sansaire were a little disappointing, but I suspect I'll get it with practice and temp tweaking. Carrots, an hour at 183f per a recipe that looked legit. They were a little too tender, but the flavor was all there. Maybe 178f next time.

    Tried some eggs this morning. 45 minutes at 152f following a recommended time/temp. Yolks were nice if a little solid, and whites did not completely set. Could have been the eggs which were from the supermarket and not incredibly fresh.

    I also learned the hard way to start with hot tap water and not cold! Oops.

    Onward and upward, all input welcome. Ribeye next I think. That seems like a no brainer. 1 hour at 126 is what I'm reading for edge-to-edge rare, then a quick Maillard application.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

  21. #121
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    No of SoBo, So of NoBo
    Posts
    2,262
    Has anyone linked to the Serious Eats Sous Vide 101 page? Pretty much everything you'd ever need to know about the topic.

    http://www.seriouseats.com/sous_vide_101
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Mayonnaisium
    Posts
    6,948
    Still haven't figured out what mallards have to do with food prep.

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    2 hours from anything
    Posts
    7,977
    Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    My two first adventures with the Sansaire were a little disappointing, but I suspect I'll get it with practice and temp tweaking. Carrots, an hour at 183f per a recipe that looked legit. They were a little too tender, but the flavor was all there. Maybe 178f next time.

    Tried some eggs this morning. 45 minutes at 152f following a recommended time/temp. Yolks were nice if a little solid, and whites did not completely set. Could have been the eggs which were from the supermarket and not incredibly fresh.

    I also learned the hard way to start with hot tap water and not cold! Oops.

    Onward and upward, all input welcome. Ribeye next I think. That seems like a no brainer. 1 hour at 126 is what I'm reading for edge-to-edge rare, then a quick Maillard application.
    You doing a rib roast or steaks? If steaks I recommend them thick, like 1.5 or 2". 1" or less and it is hard to keep the middle medium rare and getting a deep crust.

    Try some tougher cuts of meat and leave them in for extended time.

    Also, the fried potato wedges on Serious eats are amazing. Start them in the sous vide in a brine and finish them in coconut oil.

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    You doing a rib roast or steaks? If steaks I recommend them thick, like 1.5 or 2". 1" or less and it is hard to keep the middle medium rare and getting a deep crust.
    +1 The meat is already cooked to its serving temperature. Adding a high heat can overcook a thinner cut pretty quick.

    Pat the meat dry with a cloth or paper towel before searing to help the browning process. Let it sit for a minute or two after searing.

    Salt the meat a few hours to a day ahead for flavor and moisture retention. When vacuum packing I add a little butter and a few herbs depending upon what it's served with.

  25. #125
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Access to Granlibakken
    Posts
    7,123
    You guys are giving Iceman an aneurysm here.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •