View Poll Results: Besk ski movie of the 2000s?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • High Life - TGR

5 16.13%
  • Ski Movie 3 The Frontline - MSP

10 32.26%
  • Other (I like snowblades)

15 48.39%
  • Results

1 3.23%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Year 2000... The Game. Poor Boyz. Definitely better movies from all companies the years after, but The Game set the bar and was pretty cool as I recall. Haven't watched it in at least 12 years, but it wasnt mentioned in this thread. I just remember watching it over and over and over...

Warren Miller's Impact, but only because it had a Sunshine/Lake Louise segment in it. Cool to see demolition of my stomping grounds on the big screen. Lost and Found had a Kicking Horse segment too.

Clay Pigeons

"If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

Unparalleled 2: Free World

Ah those Josh Murphy films take me back.

Now hardly anyone tele's and no one cares.

Guatemalan Persuader

Quote Originally Posted by skiingislife View Post
    Guatemalan Persuader
    ARGH! IT IS TOO LATE TO FIX THE POLL!

I have watched that at least as much the other two.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    My vote would have to be for Immersion. I think it does a great job of capturing the essence and emotions of being a skier.
    Thirded on Immersion as my fave.

Also, I will throw out a rare mention for Pimpin' Frogz Productions' movies: "First Strike", then "Reality". The early days of today's well-known Canadian rippers skiing Canadian BC lines for the camera---like Hugo, MacIntosh, PY LeBlanc, Hoji, Dana Flahr, etc. Low production quality, and the occasional non-skiing parts are sloppy, but the actual skiing performances are amazing for early-00's standards. A sample from 2002 First Strike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd3uoRe74ek

Last edited by Vitamin I; 07-26-2017 at 11:28 AM.
    - TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post

Also, I will throw out a rare mention for Pimpin' Frogz Productions' movies: "First Strike", then "Reality". The early days of today's well-known Canadian rippers skiing Canadian BC lines for the camera---like Hugo, MacIntosh, PY LeBlanc, Hoji, Dana Flahr, etc. Low production quality, and the occasional non-skiing parts are sloppy, but the actual skiing performances are amazing for early-00's standards.

Wow, this is one of the first times I've learned about a new flick from that era.

I'll need to find that.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

A sample from "First Strike" in 2002: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd3uoRe74ek

I see $4 for 2 Pimpin' Frogz movies at http://www.ebay.com/itm/First-Strike...t/152609087100

My memory is very hazy, but I think these 2 movies exist basically because of this background story: Some French-Canadian skiers moved west to Whistler, then Hugo & PY Leblanc were winning some early BigMtn comps, but that wasn't sufficient to progress the BigMtn skiing scene and make a good living at it, so it seems like French-Canadians PY & Alex Paquin did most of the work "behind the camera" to make these movies happen (seemingly with intent to further their own careers/opportunities as skiers IN FRONT of the camera)...but surely those 2 skiers brought in a couple more cameramen/filmmakers to help, plus they brought in all their rad Whistler/BritishColumbia skier buddies. Or maybe that background story is just false memories...

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    At the time:
    Early 00s: Seth's segments, especially Focused https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeqUkIOO68E
    Later 00s: Hoji's segments, as mentioned above.

McConkey always cracked me up, but his skiing (while amazing) was never my favorite to watch.

Nowadays, I get more stoked on smooth, fast skiing in steep, technical terrain rather than lines with big cliffs that were popular in the early-2000s. I kind of agree with Buster, but the Sweetgrass stuff can't always hold my interest.
    Same for me... Seth in Ski Movie 1-2-3 and Focused from MSP, then Hoji in MSP starting around Claim right through their current work.

Believe was awesome stuff from Tanner, with Seth's insane double front (150 feet? More?), couldn't believe when it was pointed out to me at Retallack. Too bad the camera angle on the shot sucked.

Parental Advisory: Volume One, from Heavy Hitters Films was one of the best movies of the early 2000's. Features legendary old school guys, unknown kids (at the time anyways), and most of Jeff Holden's mind blowing cliff jumps of that era.
    http://inspiredmedia.tv/episode/clas...advisory-2000/

And the Ostness movies for sure...
    Last edited by One (+) Sentence; 07-26-2017 at 08:27 PM.

A sample from "First Strike" in 2002: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd3uoRe74ek

I see $4 for 2 Pimpin' Frogz movies at http://www.ebay.com/itm/First-Strike...t/152609087100

My memory is very hazy, but I think these 2 movies exist basically because of this background story: Some French-Canadian skiers moved west to Whistler, then Hugo & PY Leblanc were winning some early BigMtn comps, but that wasn't sufficient to progress the BigMtn skiing scene and make a good living at it, so it seems like French-Canadians PY & Alex Paquin did most of the work "behind the camera" to make these movies happen (seemingly with intent to further their own careers/opportunities as skiers IN FRONT of the camera)...but surely those 2 skiers brought in a couple more cameramen/filmmakers to help, plus they brought in all their rad Whistler/BritishColumbia skier buddies. Or maybe that background story is just false memories...

Yea! I have First Strike on DVD!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Also, I will throw out a rare mention for Pimpin' Frogz Productions' movies: "First Strike", then "Reality". The early days of today's well-known Canadian rippers skiing Canadian BC lines for the camera---like Hugo, MacIntosh, PY LeBlanc, Hoji, Dana Flahr, etc. Low production quality, and the occasional non-skiing parts are sloppy, but the actual skiing performances are amazing for early-00's standards. A sample from 2002 First Strike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd3uoRe74ek

Love the Pimpin' Frogs stuff! Those guys killed it.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Anything with Hoji ripping a spine or pillow line.

http://youtu.be/NYvM6j56IBk

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Oh. Also, all of the Theory 3 flicks are the greatest ski movie ever, too.

Breathe And Stop was in constant rotation in the ski shop I worked in. James Heim's segment was my favourite.

Oh, and "Dun dun dun duuuhh! Chris Reubens!" Always makes me smile.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    Breathe And Stop was in constant rotation in the ski shop I worked in. James Heim's segment was my favourite.

Oh, and "Dun dun dun duuuhh! Chris Reubens!" Always makes me smile.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yup. Theory 3 had the best Heim footage. Good angles for his style.

Reubens ... well duh. Go make me a sammich!

Also, Charlie Ager.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Also want to mention Rage Films, both Corduroy and Pretty Good.
    Corduroy was excellent. I need to put that one in soon. I really dug Enjoy quite a bit too.

All time faves: MSP - Push, In Deep
    TGR - Re:session
    Rage Films - Enjoy

Honorable mentions:
    Steep
    Trial and Air

From the 2000s, the theory 3 media crew was my favorite

Leboe, henny and gnarly Charlie ager

Their collaboration with poor boyz was incredible
    Revolver being the best
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

another vote for Anamoly, that Coombs ending was F N dope. Guess that's why I gravitate to the "Dream Factory, Super Heros, Refresh" type flicks. Really appreciate all the cats who got us to where we are today, they really did destroy shit. Now days they just do it stylier and faster with some bigger tricks thrown in, lines haven't really become any gnarlier. Also big ups to everything Level 1, their production quality and progression was and still is truly a game changer, talent is stoopid as well. Small World is hands down one of the most underrated flics of this decade.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    another vote for Anamoly, that Coombs ending was F N dope.
    "He still was the king till the end."
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I'm a big fan of MSP's hay day of Ski Movies, Focused, Yearbook, blah blah blah.

Having said that, I can still watch films like Believe, Session 1242, Teddybear Crisis and Waiting Game all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    ARGH! IT IS TOO LATE TO FIX THE POLL!

I have watched that at least as much the other two.
    I remember watching that at Blurreds place(maybe you were there?) and thinking, who the fuck are these people I'm staying with.

All.I.Can

Quote Originally Posted by F#*k You Cat View Post
    All.I.Can
    2011. Wrong thread.
    focus.