Fixing Delaminated seam tape with plasti-dip

So I am doing dry suit repairing for a local company who does rescue courses/ sells and repairs gear and we had a suit come in with the seam tape all delaminated in the crotch. In the past I had glued down the odd bit of seam tape with AQS but nothing like that so I asked the sales guy what he wants to do, buddy hands me a tube of plasti-dip which he told me to paint on all the delaminated seams, apparently it works great stays pliable and stays stuck

makes the suit waterproof again
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Has this been tested on Gore-Tex tape, or am I to be the first moron to finish off an aging garment with this method of attempted fix???

Or is a dry suit totally different?

Yup they been using it on their own fleet of dry suits specificaly NRS gortex dry suits which have had a lot of tape delam issues, the tube was almost empty so they have used one he'll of a lot of the shit
    Last edited by XXX-er; 07-13-2017 at 11:17 AM.

Hey there,

Sorry to drag this thread back up but I've got the exact problem you described.

Leaky NRS suit with delamination. I was going to grab some plastidip but saw they have a few different products.

Did you use the spray can stuff? The paint can stuff or that vinyl/leather repair stuff in the tube?

Thanks bud!

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Pdi-Inc...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

this was the stuff they had been using in black

AQS also works

I have since had a suit with so much delamed seam tape I figured there was no point in fixing it but one of the other guys managed to stick the tape back by ironing it on with a low/med heat setting so you could also try that

Awesome, I appreciate it!

I used aquaseal but I needed to cover large areas and it wasn't spreading very well.

I ended up thinning it with some toluene which worked ok but still wasn't solving the problem since I basically need to do ALL the seams and I was going through the AQS at a fast rate.

So my last option before calling the suit a lost cause is to plastidip the seams.

Did you just use a brush and paint it on?

yeah thats where i was at, there was SO much delamed tape i thot we should just retire the suit cuz people do swim our suits in a rescue course every time they used , the delamming has happened to a certain vintage of NRS suits, I think we got rid of them all at this point

you could use a brush, I usually cut the end off a popsicle stick to spread AQS

But do try ironing the tape

The suit is actually in reasonable condition but not, unfortunately, one of my best kijiji purchases. The guy I got it from assured me that all it needed were new gaskets and the photos looked ok.

When it arrived I could see that gaskets were absolutely destroyed, melted and rotted out. Not even a good base for gluing new ones in so I pulled the remains out completely and a buddy replaced them. I then took it out for a paddle, as soon as I was in the water I could tell that it was more holes than suit. Probably had a couple of liters in there with me.

Since then, lots of aquaseal on the obvious places. Recently had a chance to borrow some proper leak testing plugs and it showed that there were pinholes at all the joints and along a lot of the side seams.

The tape has gotten pretty dried up and cracked/lifting in spots. I might give the iron a try. I'll definitely order the plasti-dip though and paint it on.

Use PL Premium. Never look back!!

Did a seam seal on a delamed TNF jkt years ago. Still working strong!