Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    That was awesome

There is an eataly in Boston. It's a fucking zoo right in the middle of the Pru.
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    The "clowns" serving you can speak clearly and intelligently,
    I don't know dick about buckhead, but out here, (meaning outside 285) that is THE plum job for the high school set. There are two franchises within about five miles along mt. vernon, and the tip toppety HS students here are beating the shit outta each other for that job. Those that work, anyway.

So chances are that clown is on his way to cornell. or vanderbuilt. or some such clown school.
    "Can't you see..."

I hear Dairy Queen doesn't f around

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALL TUCKER View Post
    I don't know dick about buckhead, but out here, (meaning outside 285) that is THE plum job for the high school set. There are two franchises within about five miles along mt. vernon, and the tip toppety HS students here are beating the shit outta each other for that job. Those that work, anyway.

So chances are that clown is on his way to cornell. or vanderbuilt. or some such clown school.
    I personally knew two at Emory Law that got their undergrad scholarships through their HS jobs at Chick Fil A. One was from Emory, and the other Duke.

Just your average top 20 in the nation clown colleges.
    I still call it The Jake.

There's already a second in NYC, Chicago, I think Boston and a ton more globally.

I can not fathom how anyone does not see what a superior product (in the fast food world) Chick Fil A is. Everything is prepped and made in house by hand using far superior ingredients than the competition.

The "clowns" serving you can speak clearly and intelligently, are incredibly helpful and very polite, will take your food to your table, lay out placemats for your kids that won't slide off the table, cater extensively to families with kids - provide educational toys/books instead of co-branded marketing bullshit trinkets. I've never been in a single store that wasn't spotless including the restrooms. No other ff franchise I've seen can match that. I'm guessing if you have a problem with them it has more to do with the dead founder's kooky religious ideas than anything else. Shit, every LGBT person I know here in ATL says they don't give a fuck what he does with his money, they just want his sandwiches and twice on Sunday when you can't.

You people are baffling some times.
    My God why haven't they won a Nobel prize yet?

There's already a second in NYC, Chicago, I think Boston and a ton more globally.

I can not fathom how anyone does not see what a superior product (in the fast food world) Chick Fil A is. Everything is prepped and made in house by hand using far superior ingredients than the competition.

The "clowns" serving you can speak clearly and intelligently, are incredibly helpful and very polite, will take your food to your table, lay out placemats for your kids that won't slide off the table, cater extensively to families with kids - provide educational toys/books instead of co-branded marketing bullshit trinkets. I've never been in a single store that wasn't spotless including the restrooms. No other ff franchise I've seen can match that. I'm guessing if you have a problem with them it has more to do with the dead founder's kooky religious ideas than anything else. Shit, every LGBT person I know here in ATL says they don't give a fuck what he does with his money, they just want his sandwiches and twice on Sunday when you can't.

You people are baffling some times.
    I wish I was this passionate about something
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    My God why haven't they won a Nobel prize yet?
    Fried Chicken is still only a demonstration event in the eyes of the Academy.

Quote Originally Posted by nest View Post
    I wish I was this passionate about something
    No shit. Waiting for a delayed flight and halfway through the "double for a dollar more" drink in an shitty airport with no Delta lounge has me a tiny bit cranky and I pounced on the first dumb thing I saw.

I should add that the fast food offerings in this hellhole aren't much better and I'd kill for a damned chicken sandwich.

Put that in the update this week.

Bmills got airport drunk, chastised fellow mags about their lack of fast food taste, bemoaned not being able to access fast food.

Passionately.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I'd quit my job to open a Starbucks or other coffee shop in a major airport right now. Jesus do those things print money.
    I think airports and safeways are not but pretty much every SB is a corporate store
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I should add that the fast food offerings in this hellhole aren't much better and I'd kill for a damned chicken sandwich.

Put that in the update this week.

Bmills got airport drunk, chastised fellow mags about their lack of fast food taste, bemoaned not being able to access fast food.

Passionately.
    Getting stuck at the airport will do that. I was stuck at Midway for 12 hours last month. Pretty sure I insulted a few people on here too.

We put up with a lot of passionate people in the PR. Spook is passionate about racism; DD about his hatred of our feathered friends; Benny...grappa and bespoke lemonades; Bobby...Asian canned drinks.

It's ok to be passionate about fast food, BMills.

Don't let them get to you.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    I hear Dairy Queen doesn't f around
    An old roommate of mine works at DQ corporate, managing franchise territories. No, they do not fuck around.

They have a full-service DQ in the lobby; my friend is fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    An old roommate of mine works at DQ corporate, managing franchise territories. No, they do not fuck around.

They have a full-service DQ in the lobby; my friend is fat.
    a lot of north america is fat

I always thought that a DQ somewhere in midtown Manhattan would kill it--you have to keep in mind that until recently DQ didn't exist at all in NYC, but you have a huge population here that grew up with DQ (my guess is most Manhattan residents did not grow up here) and if you throw in the tourists who would flock to it the place could operate at capacity for practically 24 hours/7 days. They finally opened one downtown, but I don't know how it's doing.

Chick Fil A opened here a few years ago and seems to do almost Shake Shack volumes (now that might be a good franchise for the hinterlands) (actually, for some weird reason there had been a Chick Fil A here for decades, but it's in the NYU student center, so not really accessible or known of for 99% of Manhattan).

At the risk of further antagonizing Bmills I'll say it's a good chicken sandwich, but in terms of food quality I think I have to give it to In N' Out. That's another one I always thought would kill it in Manhattan, but AFAIK it's impossible to bring it here.

edit: in terms of my general knowledge of franchise operators, long ago I knew a guy whose family owned a number of fast food places in and around Cleveland (I believe McDonald's and BK--as a kid I was initially baffled by the idea that the same person could own competing restaurants) and did quite well. I also vaguely know a family in NJ--doctors or something--who opened a Haagen Dazs and seem to be doing well. As others have said, location and franchise agreements are incredibly important, but I think for a single franchisee being able to devote your life (or a good portion of it) to the operation could be equally vital. Not sure I personally have the innate desire to immerse myself in what would be required to run something like that.
    [quote][//quote]

Been into the back of macdonalds wendys and burger king, the floors walls all surfaces even the telephone EVERYTHING was coated in grease and the staff were 18 yrs old with bad acne ... is this really how you wana live?

I used to deal with a manager at a burger king so a few months later on a system upgrade I see him managing a starbucks so i ask wtf?

The doctor told buddy he needed a change or the FF business would kill him ( I suppose he could just not eat the stuff?) so the POS store systems were the same and SB actuly train new staff,

anyhow buddy had a new haircut casual shirt & shorts so he looked alot better as a SB employee than burger king and his face had cleared up ... way happier

Do Takee Outee Chinese restaurants still exist?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    most of north america is fat
    Fify

there was a guy in PG who owned 5 or 6 Tim Hortons which in Canada IS a license to print money but I think he was big enough so he could hire people so I don't imagine he ever set foot in one of those places, in any case the back of a Tim Hortons (they got computers back there also) is not anywhere near as bad as any of those grease pits I already mentioned

The coffee is shit but Timmy Ho's is really popular back east

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tim-...sees-1.4024021

altho not with the franchisees who are suing

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    there was a guy in PG who owned 5 or 6 Tim Hortons which in Canada IS a license to print money but I think he was big enough so he could hire people so I don't imagine he ever set foot in one of those places, in any case the back of a Tim Hortons (they got computers back there also) is not anywhere near as bad as any of those grease pits I already mentioned

The coffee is shit but Timmy Ho's is really popular back east

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tim-...sees-1.4024021

altho not with the franchisees who are suing
    I got to Toronto area couple times a year. Hortons truly is mediocre coffee, but is a license to print money. Never not busy. It's crazy.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

I think early on buddy got the Tim Hortons franchise rights to all of PG which is a town of >80,000 mostly blue collar types so he just kept building more stores

Yeah its shit coffee if you like dark stuff but what it was good for is I could grab a reasonably healthy sandwiche from the drive thru and be back on the road pretty quick

A number of years ago Tim Hortons tried to establish a beachhead in NYC and, AFAIK, failed miserably. They all seemed to disappear within about two years. Doughnuts suck compared to Dunkie's.

Crispy Kreme also tried and failed, although I think one or two held on (at one point years ago there were half a dozen around here). And they failed despite not having shitty doughnuts--not sure why they couldn't make it. Am guessing the stores are much more profitable in other locations due to relatively enormous costs here.
    [quote][//quote]

KK and Hortons both have marginal coffee. I'm convinced that's the reason.

Fried Chicken is still only a demonstration event in the eyes of the Academy.

No shit. Waiting for a delayed flight and halfway through the "double for a dollar more" drink in an shitty airport with no Delta lounge has me a tiny bit cranky and I pounced on the first dumb thing I saw.
    Where you at? I'm drinking in Ohare right now staring at the Frontera Grill that is printing money. Hey OP, see if Skip Bayless will hook you up with a locale.

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    Where you at? I'm drinking in Ohare right now staring at the Frontera Grill that is printing money. Hey OP, see if Skip Bayless will hook you up with a locale.
    CAK. Yes, Akron-Canton airport. It's great for getting in and out of quickly since the same guy who takes your bags curbside is also the TSA agent, gate agent, and likely your pilot. Unless you're on an equipment related delay.

In that case feel free to step into the one very redeeming thing about this place, the Great Lakes Brewing Company bar. I can load up on all my favorite beers and double my Woodford backs for a dollar more until I'm so bleary eyed I lash out at my internet friends about fried chicken restaurants.

I'd commandeer this SWA junkheap just for some of Bayless' mole right now.

Kind of grew up eating Skip Bayless's brother's mole, although no one had any idea who the guy was at that point (AFAIK--chefs also just weren't celebrities back then like they are now). I think the restaurant is still there in Cleveland, although a bit down the road from where it originally was. Never got to enjoy the delights on offer at Akron's airport--Cleveland Hopkins was as good as things got...
    [quote][//quote]