Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I've made no secret of this.
    Yeah?

Based on this evidence, I believe Hodge has defrauded me and lied to Paypal about not receiving the bike. It is clear that Hodge actually did receive my bike, and has stolen $1,200.00 from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

^^^ That was the response to PayPal before I knew that mini-Chup had withdrawn the $ from his PayPal account, and only had a negative balance.

This was clarified above, at post #11.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...54#post5055354

You seem rather defensive about protecting a scammer. Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

You seem rather defensive about protecting a scammer. Why?
    What ?

Fuck you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Why is creaky still here?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

To call out posers like you, amirite?
    crab in my shoe mouth

Looks like he got a time out, now he's back all chill and shit.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

.... I'm askig for a (temporary) ban.
    That early onset Alzheimer's is the worst.

Fair enough!
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Got it - thanks. I agree, the police may not have much interest in this at all. Which seems a shame, given that I can lay out a complete case in a few minutes, and hand them all the evidence needed to arrest + convict.

I am hopeful that Hodge's status as a felon on probation may attract a little more attention to the case, but who knows.
    One thing for sure: the more you do to make their job easy (as in, "takes us no work, you did everything for us, thanks!"), the more likely they'd treat a $1k scam as something worth their time. But typically it takes a small town like Andy Griffith's Mayberry to find police giving two shits about small (relative) cons.

His felon status sure gives them reason to crack down, one thing po-po hate is a recidivist like H.I. McDonough.

Seriously, though: if mini-Chup never transferred any $$ and emptied his PP acct prior to transaction being solidified, I think most po-po will call this a "no harm, no foul" scenario -- even for a repeat bozo like the brat/punk here.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    That early onset Alzheimer's is the worst.
    So that explains Stuckie's online heroism/meatspace-wimp-supreme dichotomy, eh?

Why did you move to Montana if all you want is urban Progressive everything? Thought that's what Westchester County NY had in truckloads. Plus, you don't even know how to ski/ride, so the moderate terrain back there suits you perfectly.

I do find it interesting that your best "friends" are people on TGR you've persuaded on your supposed "core"-ness in ski, mtb and... humor.

Meatspace, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Looks like he got a time out, now he's back all chill and shit.
    Tell me more about your Online Psychiatry practice.
    Last edited by creaky fossil; 07-17-2017 at 11:48 AM.

What's the latest, Chup?

Paypal could conceivably either charge your bank acct or credit card for the negative balance or sell this negative balance to a collections agency with corresponding hit on mini-Chup's credit report - not to mention the hassle of a collections company contacting him. I wouldn't be inclined to let it sit as there may be implications.

You'll hate to hear it, but you probably need a lawyer to try to force some action from Paypal and/or the CO Springs police department. Isn't there a Co Springs maggot who might go to the PD to hand all the evidence printed out to a detective?
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Paypal could conceivably either charge your bank acct or credit card for the negative balance or sell this negative balance to a collections agency with corresponding hit on mini-Chup's credit report - not to mention the hassle of a collections company contacting him. I wouldn't be inclined to let it sit as there may be implications.
    This.

If pp refunded the scammer, I'll be surprised if they don't attempt recovery either through an internal collection dept, or selling it off to some sleezbags.

Wrecking mini-chup's credit would be adding insult to injury.

You'll hate to hear it, but you probably need a lawyer to try to force some action from Paypal and/or the CO Springs police department. Isn't there a Co Springs maggot who might go to the PD to hand all the evidence printed out to a detective?
    When this happened to me 8ish years ago, they did not charge my bank account (still currently with that bank) and it never appeared on my credit report. But, its been 8 years and I heard something about them updating how they do the recovery. They may go the collections route now.
    Sent via care package with protective strafe run

Yeah for $1200, it's probably worth it. I think they get $.50 on the dollar or something for selling it to collections so probably worth it to them.

Yeah for $1200, it's probably worth it. I think they get $.50 on the dollar or something for selling it to collections so probably worth it to them.
    That's usually not how collections work. If they are "selling" the debt for that much, they are only paying PayPal if they actually *collect* it. Otherwise, it's pennies on the dollar.

I am guessing most debt collectors would think twice about trying to collect on a PayPal debt that is disputed, because it would be extremely dangerous from Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (and related state law) perspective.

Ultimately, if you *did* get sued or even chased by a collector, you might be able to find an attorney to defend you and counterclaim for FDCPA and Fair Credit Reporting Act issues, especially if you documented all of this and notified PayPal--and it certainly sounds like you did.

/not legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    That's usually not how collections work. If they are "selling" the debt for that much, they are only paying PayPal if they actually *collect* it. Otherwise, it's pennies on the dollar.

I am guessing most debt collectors would think twice about trying to collect on a PayPal debt that is disputed, because it would be extremely dangerous from Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (and related state law) perspective.

Ultimately, if you *did* get sued or even chased by a collector, you might be able to find an attorney to defend you and counterclaim for FDCPA and Fair Credit Reporting Act issues, especially if you documented all of this and notified PayPal--and it certainly sounds like you did.

/not legal advice.
    You could be right. I don't know.

I still am guessing that paypal has an appeal mechanism and mini-Chup should read the decisional document and see what his appeal rights are. Because that would be the way to get someone at paypal, a human with more than 5 seconds to spare, to actually look at this.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Collections won't ruin a credit rating if you simply negotiate with the collector and pay it off when the time comes. Fuck PayPal they deserve to take a hit in their case.

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    I think someone mentioned it in the ski/snow thread, but I'll second going to facebook/twitter to get on Paypal's case about this. Large companies like Paypal have customer service teams that monitor social media carefully to resolve bad press type issues before they spiral out of control. Sometimes they respond publicly to try to show they are helpful, but many times they respond privately to complaints on social media to just get things resolved quickly. So even though you might look at a company's fb/twitter and see a bunch of complaints and no action, the truth might actually be a bit different. You can also try call or emailing various VPs directly. They will be confused and/or annoyed that they've been contacted and will often get you in contact with the person who can actually act on your situation quickly so that you go away and they can go back to making 6 or 7 figures in peace.
    This is excellent advice. An additional tip I have used:

Get someone's email address at paypal. Anyone, it doesn't matter much. Look at what format it is. Is it firstname.lastname@paypal.com? firstinitallastname@paypal.com? Figure out how they're doing it. Most companies are pretty consistent in how this works. Not all companies, and don't expect to necessarily get the CEO, but odds are good that they have some general standard.

Now google a bunch of paypal bigwigs. Again, doesn't matter much who, just somebody important. Somebody on a building lease, a website registration, someone giving a press interview. Derive their email address from what you know. Try to get at least 5 names (in case some aren't accurate).

Now write a long but not TOO long email, with links to the evidence, VERY strong verbiage, and perhaps allude to getting a lawyer.

I did this when TWC wouldn't hook up my internet in NYC. They claimed to need to inspect the building (it was brand new) to determine if it was "livable" so they could legally install, they dicked around for weeks basically. Sent this to the regional heads of the NY metro area. Within 20 minutes my phone was ringing. Within 2 hours there was a truck at my apartment.

You can probably get some names from a LinkedIn search.

Or under investor relations on their website. Executives listed on page 23 of their proxy / annual report:

http://files.shareholder.com/downloa..._Statement.pdf

I think Chup trolled us. Got us all wrapped up in his slam dunk PayPal dispute gone wrong, then went radio silence.

Well played, sir.

Been slammed with work, so not much attention on this lately-- and no, I'm not trolling here. PNWBrit's opinion aside, I think it's pretty obvious from what I've posted that scammer did scam.

I don't know if PayPal really did repay scammer (perhaps under some buyer protection guarantee). I certainly am not taking scammer's word for it. But if PP did repay scammer, then this, below, is why mini-Chup and I are still following up, and want to see scammer pursued by police and/or PayPal. Even though mini-Chup is currently not out-of-pocket for the scam, I think PayPal's terms expose him to liability to PayPal:

A maggot PM'd me a contact # for PayPal that may help get me in touch with someone with actual authority at PP. I just haven't had time to call. I'm planning on calling them tomorrow morning and seeing if I can get anywhere, whether it's through a higher-up, or whether there is some appeal process at PP that we need to start.

Mini-Chup is across the country for MTB nationals currently. I don't know if he has received any updates from the two police departments where he filed reports.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I wish him luck at Nationals, Chup, that's awesome!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I don't know if PayPal really did repay scammer (perhaps under some buyer protection guarantee). I certainly am not taking scammer's word for it. But if PP did repay scammer, then this, below, is why mini-Chup and I are still following up, and want to see scammer pursued by police and/or PayPal. Even though mini-Chup is currently not out-of-pocket for the scam, I think PayPal's terms expose him to liability to PayPal:
    If they put the negative balance on your account then the scammer was already refunded.