Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Light duty mower and snow blower?

Closing on a house at the end of the month after a couple decades of apartment living.

Most of the yard is not grass. Only have a 30'x30'ish patch to mow.

Driveway is approximately 20'x50.' Boulder County, so not a lot of big, wet storms.

What do I buy? Any reason not to buy used? Is electric a viable option these days?

Thanks.

For winter:
    How about if you pick up a scoop(ie sleigh shovel) to just push. Their handle allows you to get way behind them so pushing comes from just your legs...no stress on the back at all.
    They do a great job for what they do and cost hardly anything. Of course the light, left-over stuff you'll need a standard shovel...but a scoop can get a lot and can plane up over any accumulation less than ~18" easily.

For Yard:
    Do you envision a lot of grass at some point in time? = go with as much width as affordable...if near future is not riding mower scale. A bag is nice....and there's nothing better than getting it over with as soon as possible with something with width.
    Consumer Reports does a good job on lawn mowers....
    $.01
    Last edited by steved; 07-10-2017 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    For winter:
    How about if you pick up a scoop(ie sleigh shovel) to just push. Their handle allows you to get way behind them so pushing comes from just your legs...no stress on the back at all.
    They do a great job for what they do and cost hardly anything. Of course the light, left-over stuff you'll need a standard shovel...but a scoop can get a lot and can slide up over any accumulations of less than ~18".

For Yard:
    Do you envision a lot of grass at some point in time? = go with as much width as affordable...if near future is not riding mower scale. A bag is nice....and there's nothing better than getting it over with as soon as possible with something with width.
    Consumer Reports does a good job on lawn mowers....
    $.01
    Shoveling the driveway would work for me, but not my wife. I'm out of town enough that she'd probably end up taking care of it once of trice a year.

Don't envision a lot of grass. We've got raspberry bushes, some raised planters, a bunch of flowers and some trees. Might build a chicken coop.

Electric works great for lawn mowing. We have a Newton, but our neighbor has another brand (Ryobi?) and he's happy too. We don't have huge lawns (probably 50% more area than yours), and we get through it easily with a single charge. You're welcome to check it out here in Erie.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I agree that if you and your wife are not mechanical, consider an electric snow blower. They work surprisingly well.

Have you considered a reel mower? Nothing to really break and a few drops of lube is all the maintenance you need.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Shoveling the driveway would work for me, but not my wife. I'm out of town enough that she'd probably end up taking care of it once of trice a year.

Don't envision a lot of grass. We've got raspberry bushes, some raised planters, a bunch of flowers and some trees. Might build a chicken coop.
    The berry supply sounds nice....guess just about anything for cutting the grass will do.
    For a blower I've always had gas w/optional electric start, 2-stage, 5hp+ (for blowing distance & heavy/wet). So easy but there are always times where a push-scoop is all you need.....however electric is developing.

My neighbor runs an electric snowblower on a similar sized driveway and she seems to get it done without too much trouble. That said, my 2 stage gas toro does the job in less than half the time and doesn't struggle as much in the spring when the snow is heavy and wet. I can see the benefit of some electrics but I don't think a snowblower is one where the tech is sufficiently mature to justify the choice over gas.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    My neighbor runs an electric snowblower on a similar sized driveway and she seems to get it done without too much trouble. That said, my 2 stage gas toro does the job in less than half the time and doesn't struggle as much in the spring when the snow is heavy and wet. I can see the benefit of some electrics but I don't think a snowblower is one where the tech is sufficiently mature to justify the choice over gas.
    ^^^ This ^^^

More than 50% of the time that I pull out the snow thrower, it's a wet snow - either 'coz it's March, or because I didn't get to it in the morning and the pavement heated up the snow. It can bog down even my 8.5 HP gasoline powered snow thrower.

While I really hate messing with gas powered tools (the reason for the battery powered lawnmower), it's gasoline powered for snow removal.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    while I really hate messing with gas powered tools (the reason for the battery powered lawnmower), it's gasoline powered for snow removal. ... Thom
    IME use best practices in the care and feeding of small engines ( use fresh premium/fuel stabilizer) small engines will always start and run
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

For the record I have no aversion to gas. Have done a fair amount of wrenching on cars, and operated a variety of mowers for jobs growing up (from push, to zero turns, to tractors for mowing soccer and baseball fields). Have dealt with small 2 stroke engines as well, although it's been a while. Just trying to get a sense of the current state of things, and I've never dealt with snow blowers, as we never had a paved driveway. Neighbor would plow in exchange for a cut of our lamb.

Just trying to get a sense of what is out there these days. I want whatever is cheapest and works. Sounds like electric mowers are ok for a little lawn, but electric snow blowers aren't quite there. I'll probably end up buying a used gas variety of each from some guy upgrading to the green and yellow behemoth he's always dreamed of. I just don't give a shit about this sort of toy. I'd rather save my money to redo the kitchen (to make my wife happy) and get me some Alien RS's (to make me happy).

Thanks for the input all.

We love the ego electric self propelled mower and snow blower. The batteries are interchangeable and torque is linear. No maintenance and quiet. Easy to use and same controls on both is nice
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Mower: Honda
    Blower: Ariens

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    I forgot, what did bunny ended up getting his partner?
    6 months of aggravation and a $300 EZ Pass bill before she broke up with him at a Denny's in Aberdeen.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Can't comment on mowers but I move a ton of snow every winter. Two stage for sure, tracks work better than wheels if the driveway has a slope to it or when the snow gets wet, and Honda is the way to go. I have 17 years on mine and its needed very little in the way of maintenance. You will pay more initially but properly maintained it will last a very long time.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

some snow blowers might be too wide for sidewalks and tighter areas , i think you want 24" as opposed to the larger 27"
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Get a 28-32" two stage snowblower. Or a shovel

In the summer get a non motorized mower or a scythe
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=URJ31uqH07E

Light duty mower and snow blower?

Whenever we do get a decent snowfall in MN, this is my tool of choice. Rips through anything. No snow plow drift too big or wet. Throws snow well into the neighbors yard. Needs chains though.

Two-stage gas snowblower for the driveway, reel mover for that patch o' grass.

The best combo for reliability, economy, and efficiency.

I agree with the rechargeable battery mower, my black and decker does our 0.2 acre lot no problem. For 30x30 I would probably just use a reel mower.

I hand shovel 3,500 square feet and fight my wife for the shovel, so can't comment on that one.

Thinking a reel mower will be perfect.

Driveway is completely flat. Big storms aren't that common here. Should I still consider a two stage snow blower? Would it be easier for my wife to operate than a single stage?

IMO, damp or wet snow more than a couple inches, get the two stage because the added power will be good and it's a 50' driveway. I don't think a single stage would be much easier to handle, though I could be wrong.

I didn't see if you mentioned which direction the driveway faced...if it's south or west, a shovel will be fine. If it's north or east, I'd get a good, medium sized gas powered blower. If you're facing south/west, unless it's a big dump the sun will melt the snow before you have a chance to clear it but if you face north/east, if you don't clear it right away you'll be dealing with ice until July.

edit: FWIW electric blowers are for pussies but since you're in Boulder perhaps that would be a be a better choice.
    The Sheriff is near!

House faces North, but most of driveway will get sun and everything melts within a few days here. On a typical winter day temps approach 50 and it's and sunny.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    House faces North, but most of driveway will get sun and everything melts within a few days here. On a typical winter day temps approach 50 and it's and sunny.
    Depends on when sun. Morning sun (north/east facing) won't do shit, just soften it up so it can freeze up again in the afternoon/night. Once it refreezes, you're fucked because no blower/shovel/plow will get it off. Afternoon sun (south/west) is much warmer and will melt snow so it doesn't get a chance to refreeze. I'll let you figure it out.
    The Sheriff is near!

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    ...I'll let you figure it out.
    Thanks for your smug expertise. You must be, like, a sun scientist or something.