Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Kid stoke

Kid stoke

Where and what are your spawn ripping.

Sent from my XT1585 using TGR Forums mobile app

We are in Western mass. My 9 yo pretty much loves all aspects of MTB. He hits up thunder MTN and Killington a bit and we have some great local spots. We had a great weekend at nembafest where he smashed any previous rides. At kingdom trails he managed a 31 mile 3,700 vert day and had almost 60 miles for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by lotsarocks View Post
    At kingdom trails he managed a 31 mile 3,700 vert day and had almost 60 miles for the weekend.
    That is ridiculously impressive for a 9 yo.

Pulling the trigger on this tomorrow for my 7 y.o.

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post

That looks like a nice light and fast bike for a kid.
    I too thought that my son's ride at kingdom trails was pretty epic for a 9 yo. I'm really interested to hear what other kids are up to. It's really neat that he can ride with my group of friends. As long as we keep the pace reasonable he is right there. He is quite fast on the downhills and is not afraid to take the lead.

That looks like a nice light and fast bike for a kid.
    Those Orbeas are sick little bikes for the price. No other major bike company makes anything that compares.

I'm really interested to hear what other kids are up to.
    I've posted all of these before, but twist my arm....

I Street

Draper DH

PC dirt jumps

Wasatch Indoor

Local skatepark

I have seen one of those before. That is one awesome ripper you have. How old? Thanks for posting.

He turned 7 in January. I never imagined he'd be riding this well at this age. Most adults I know wouldn't hit those I Street jumps on a hardtail. He'll be better than me at jumping in 1-2 years tops. I'm hoping I can stay faster than him until high school at least, but when he moves up to 24" all bets are off.

His current bike is made by Flow Kids Bikes in Truckee. Phenomenal little bikes made by some great people. Not cheap, but reasonably priced for what you get. They're working on getting a 20"/24" convertible full-suspension frame launched this summer. I'll be ordering one as soon as I can.
    https://www.flowkidsbikes.com/

good thread
    some of the local park groms are getting a chance to play in the big show

I can't compete with Dan's kid. My kid can't compete with him either.

I'm just happy my six year old can now bike to the farmer's market (7 miles roundtrip).

Ripping on a Spawn Banshee.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I'm just happy my six year old can now bike to the farmer's market (7 miles roundtrip).
    That's great, I probably couldn't talk Sam into that. I wish he was more into riding places in the neighborhood. More than once I've tried to get him to ride to the skatepark (2 miles) and no dice.

Dan, how does your kid sit down with balls that big?
    My little one on his favorite single track. He was 6yo. 7 now and attacking the climbs!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGTI2oR7iA4

Hah! When he's riding he doesn't sit!

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post

How did the Orbea work out? Thinking of grabbing one for my about-to-turn 8 yr old.

TBD, turnaround was about 3 weeks so in order but not getting till end of July

A few from the past few days

Taking my kid to Mammoth next week. We are noobs. I am a blue square kinda guy. Hoping I can keep up with my kid.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Those Orbeas are sick little bikes for the price. No other major bike company makes anything that compares.
    Norco has offerings in that same price range and component spec. For 24" Hardtails they have a Charger 4.1 or a Fluid 4.3+ with plus side 24" tires (Don't tell Damian)
    When I sold bikes in Whistler it was hard to find small bikes that meet the needs of the little rippers in town.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I've joined the "Bought my kid a bike that cost more than my first car" club:

Flow's full-suspension frames are not going to happen for a while, so I bit the financial bullet and ordered a Spawn Rokkusuta (https://spawncycles.com/rokkusuta-20). I can't help but feel mildly embarrassed about spending this much on a bike for a 7 y.o., but as clearly evidenced upthread he's riding at a level that justifies it. Resale on this bike in my market will be really good, so it's kind of like a putting down a down payment on his 24" bike, except that it's a down payment he can ride.

As to the bike itself, wow. Just...wow. The suspension works beautifully, which is not easy to do for riders this size. The fork on his Flow works well, but Spawn's fork is on another level. It feels like a mini-Pike. The rear end was tracking perfectly through braking bumps and chatter while I was following him yesterday, yet it's still supportive on bigger drops and doesn't bottom out harshly. 15 mm thru-axle in the front and 142x12 in the rear. Pics do not do it justice, in person it is drop dead sexy. I had it shipped to my LBS so I could keep it a surprise and they offered to assemble and tune it free since he's on the shop team. When we picked it up they all thought I had paid a lot more for it. For what you get it's worth every penny.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 08-07-2017 at 09:26 PM.

Jeebus, Dan!

Hopefully, those Olympic medals he's going to win will make it all worth it.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

This thread rules.

Dantheman what pedals do you have on there? Until recently there was not any decent kid size pedals. Chromag is now making a kid size pedal that should outlast 4 cheap plastic pedals.
    Pinkbike did a review on them recently.

Jeebus, Dan!

Hopefully, those Olympic medals he's going to win will make it all worth it.
    As I said before, my net cost on this bike will be considerably less down the road. This bike is also definitely safer than the hardtail on the stuff he's doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Dantheman what pedals do you have on there? Until recently there was not any decent kid size pedals. Chromag is now making a kid size pedal that should outlast 4 cheap plastic pedals.
    Pinkbike did a review on them recently.
    Currently using Chesters. They seem to work fine. The pin pattern is a bit narrower than a lot of pedals. I would definitely never let him use the cheap plastic ones.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 08-08-2017 at 08:24 AM.

BTW, wasn't being facetious with the Olympics comment, your kid rips and it wouldn't surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Norco has offerings in that same price range and component spec. For 24" Hardtails they have a Charger 4.1 or a Fluid 4.3+ with plus side 24" tires (Don't tell Damian)
    When I sold bikes in Whistler it was hard to find small bikes that meet the needs of the little rippers in town.
    True, but I'd consider Norco more on the niche side of things. I was thinking more along the lines of Specialized, Giant, Trek, Scott, etc. Giant doesn't have single performance-oriented 20" or 24" bike in the lineup at all. Trek has little else besides the Fuel EX Jr, which sells at basically the same pricepoint as the Rokkusuta 24 despite having inferior geo, component spec and suspension travel. Specialized's only "performance" bike in their youth lineup is the Hotrock 24 XC Pro, which they charge a stunning $1550 for even though the geo and component spec are decidedly inferior to the Yama Jama 24 that costs $400 less.

Commencal has a respectable kids lineup, though more so for 24". But, nothing they make compares to Spawn's new lineup and Spawn's pricepoints are the same or lower. I'm blown away at how well a super-niche company like Spawn is able to compete on price with bigger companies.

BTW, wasn't being facetious with the Olympics comment, your kid rips and it wouldn't surprise me.
    Gotcha, and even if you were I get it.