Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Kid stoke

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I've joined the "Bought my kid a bike that cost more than my first car" club:

Flow's full-suspension frames are not going to happen for a while, so I bit the financial bullet and ordered a Spawn Rokkusuta (https://spawncycles.com/rokkusuta-20). I can't help but feel mildly embarrassed about spending this much on a bike for a 7 y.o., but as clearly evidenced upthread he's riding at a level that justifies it. Resale on this bike in my market will be really good, so it's kind of like a putting down a down payment on his 24" bike, except that it's a down payment he can ride.

As to the bike itself, wow. Just...wow. The suspension works beautifully, which is not easy to do for riders this size. The fork on his Flow works well, but Spawn's fork is on another level. It feels like a mini-Pike. The rear end was tracking perfectly through braking bumps and chatter while I was following him yesterday, yet it's still supportive on bigger drops and doesn't bottom out harshly. 15 mm thru-axle in the front and 142x12 in the rear. Pics do not do it justice, in person it is drop dead sexy. I had it shipped to my LBS so I could keep it a surprise and they offered to assemble and tune it free since he's on the shop team. When we picked it up they all thought I had paid a lot more for it. For what you get it's worth every penny.
    Oh great. I can just hear Collin now.
    That thing looks damn sweet though.

Silver lining to the Brian Head fire was that the Super D race was moved from Dark Hollow to Timberline and opened to Cat 3 racers. Got two laps in on perfect dirt, then the rain started and it was a slop fest. It cleared out for racing but stayed really wet. He killed it in the sloppiness on a tough trail.

My daughter (12) has been super motivated lately. We rode 20-something miles and a few thousand feet of climbing at 11-12,000 feet.

She's a beast! She just got a new/used bike, and she's fackin stoked on it.

Molas-Cascade in the San Juan Backcountry

Her new whip is 21 lbs!

Killing it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Yeah! I bet she could smoke me on the ups already.

New whip finally arrived, he's loving it and super light

Great looking bike. For the life of me I can't understand why they spec'ed it with 110 BCD cranks. Their website photos show 104 BCD cranks which make so much more sense.

I'm stoked that one of my bros who is a real rider is taking Owen out for a big day on Sunday. I'm not very good so I am relying on some help to get him some experience.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Selling my daughter's XS Yeti ARC

26" wheels. SRAM GX 2x10 (currently 3x10!) drivetrain, sram hydraulic brakes.

An awesome kids bike comprised of "real" adult parts!

$350

About how big a kid will that fit? Where are you located?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

The bike is in Durango
    But I have friends in Moab this weekend that could hand it off
    Or, twist my arm and I'll meet you in Crested Butte this weekend.

Subscribing as my eldest' 8th bday approaches

Has anyone checked out Prevelo bikes? Check their 20":
    https://prevelobikes.com/collections...cts/zulu-three

My son is growing out of his Spawn 16", I'm looking at my 20" options. The Orbea is on the short list, but a solid air fork would be a nice upgrade. This has been a good thread, appreciate the opinions.

Spend an extra $150 and get Spawn's new Yama Jama 20. 2 pounds lighter and better components. The Brood fork alone is worth the extra money. That thing is sooo nice.

Woot woot.. just joined and found this thread. Super fun! Here's a fun vid of my kid back when he was 3. He's now 7 and riding all the blues + a few black runs at the Whistler Bike Park with me for the past couple summers on a 20" Spawn Rokkusuta.. Parenting dreams come true

Anyone know of the smallest and lightest fullface helmet on the market? Dantheman?

Little guy, 3yo, graduated to riding desert from grass on dirtbike. Time for some face protection.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Fly Racing and Kali Protectives both make FF helmets in really small sizes, down to mid-40 cms head circumference IIRC.

Thx! I figured you'd be on it

chasing the 8 year old last weekend. this bike is still a bit too big for the guy but he handles it better than me.

Nice!

Awesome!

My son and some friends getting their 15 minutes.

My oldest is just getting interested in MTB, finally. She's 11 and 5'1" I'm torn on whether I should get her a womens S or XS frame or a kids bike with 24" tires. What would you all reccomend?
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    My son and some friends getting their 15 minutes.
    that drop at .40 is beefy. cool they are making all this rad stuff for young guns...

and Chugachjed. My kid is 4'8" and I bought a bike that he has to grow into. He'd probably be progressing on this a bit faster: https://spawncycles.com/yama-jama-24 but he'd also move on quicker too. Really depends on how much you want to spend or how much time you want to spend trading up/selling on the used market. If shes not interested in jumping the bike I'd think you can get away with the 26 inch wheel kids specific bike at 5'1" IMO. Just make sure you get a lighter one. Like the 26 inch wheel variant of the Spawn Yama Jama I posted above or something with similar dimensions and appropriate crank sizing if you plan to do a lot of pedaling. It's money well spent and nicer kids bikes have pretty healthy secondary market pricing

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    My oldest is just getting interested in MTB, finally. She's 11 and 5'1" I'm torn on whether I should get her a womens S or XS frame or a kids bike with 24" tires. What would you all reccomend?
    Most companies' size charts recommend <5' as the upper limit for their 24" models. So, XS/S adult frame for sure. 26" wheels are probably preferable and will be cheaper most likely, but a 27.5'er could definitely work. Also depends on how much you think she might grow in the next year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    that drop at .40 is beefy.
    That's my boy