Boot recommendation shortlist

Apologies for yet another gaper trying to get the internet to fit his boots for him, but I live somewhere (the less snowy bit of New Zealand) where it's a bit of a struggle to access a decent selection of different makes/models side-by-side, so a bit of a shortlist to start with is a big help.

After a new slackcountry freeride boot. Will be primary inbound boot but need something that will also work well for shorter tours, bootpacks and hikes back to the parking lot after dropping the next valley over. 120-130 flex, walk mode and a vibram sole with a bit of rocker, tech compatibility nice but not essential.

I've got a wide forefoot, average instep/bridge and fairly low volume ankle. The Atomic Waymaker would have been spot on, but for some fucking reason the largest size they make the stiffer carbon models in is 29.5 and trying them on they were a fraction small for something I expect to be able to walk for an hour or two in.

thx

Richard.

Recommending boots over the Internet to someone in another hemisphere isn't ideal, but here's my advice:

The Waymaker has a very tall instep and cavernous ankle cavity, but if you liked the fit of the 29.5 Waymaker except for the length, I'd try a 29.5 Dalbello Panterra 120 ID (if that's too small, they make a 30.5). The shell runs a tad longer and you can generate more toe room by toecapping your foot when molding the liners. Downside is no tech compatibility. Neither the Waymaker nor the Panterra has an especially good walk mode, but it doesn't sound like that's your top priority.

If you'd prefer a snugger ankle pocket, there are plenty of other possibilities, but chances are high you'll need to punch the forefoot for more width. I have no idea who to recommend as a bootfitter in NZ, but it's certainly possible to make most 99-100mm shells fit a 104-106mm foot if you have the tools and ability (and overall volume of the shell is adequate).

Do Koflach still make touring boots?

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Recommending boots over the Internet to someone in another hemisphere isn't ideal, but here's my advice:

The Waymaker has a very tall instep and cavernous ankle cavity, but if you liked the fit of the 29.5 Waymaker except for the length, I'd try a 29.5 Dalbello Panterra 120 ID (if that's too small, they make a 30.5). The shell runs a tad longer and you can generate more toe room by toecapping your foot when molding the liners. Downside is no tech compatibility. Neither the Waymaker nor the Panterra has an especially good walk mode, but it doesn't sound like that's your top priority....
    Thx, will keep that in mind. What do you know about the fit of the current Scarpa freeride boots (Freedom/Maestrale)? I've had a couple of pairs of Scarpas in the past (Denali, Tornado) and they were both too tight in the forefoot but spacious around the ankle to be a great fit for my foot, however what I can find online about current models indicates that they have a relatively wide last.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiTricky View Post
    Thx, will keep that in mind. What do you know about the fit of the current Scarpa freeride boots (Freedom/Maestrale)? I've had a couple of pairs of Scarpas in the past (Denali, Tornado) and they were both too tight in the forefoot but spacious around the ankle to be a great fit for my foot, however what I can find online about current models indicates that they have a relatively wide last.
    The Freedom boots and the Maestrale boots are different, though both have a 101mm forefoot (I would call them "mid-wide"). The Freedom last has a "pointier" toe and taller instep; both boots are "spacious" around the ankle but the Freedom is even roomier than the Maestrale (next year's Maestrale is significantly snugger). In terms of modifying the width, the polyamide shell of the Maestrale is easier to punch than the Pebax Rnew shell of the Freedom, but both can be made wider.

. . . in the New Zealand and Australia, "next year" is now . . .

thx, local shop is getting me in a few pairs to try.

I have a pair of Waymakers and they are really soft, like I crush them to the point that I thought the left boot was broken. I am going to buy the new Scott AT boot when they are released this fall, demoed them last spring, loved them. For what you describe mainly inbounds I would go with the Cochise.

buy the red ones?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    buy the red ones?
    I agree, the red ones are awesome. Wide forefoot, average instep, snug heel. Heavy and not a huge amount of ROM but good enough for yo yo ski touring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wesach sept. 22.2012 030.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	848.6 KB 
ID:	209392
    Master of mediocrity.

Head raptor 140s

race boot but hands down the best boot to rip any condition in.