Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The correct Gin and Tonic: List 'em up Maynard.

I've really been a mixed drink neophyte.

But with the recent summer of perfection ongoing, spare time and focusing on living, I'm testing out the G&T with more fervor.

The usual schwepps tonic seems bland, so I got turned on to the Fever Tree stuff which has a lot more character. I'll try the Fentimans again tonight though since I ran out of Fever Tree.

The roses sweetened lime juice, just a drop, adds some depth.

Then it's Hendricks.

Learn me on variations.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I am not so much a G&T fan as a V&T fan.

Gin has terrible hangovers if you over do it. Good Vodka seems to have a much cleaner burn.

Quote Originally Posted by tom tuttle from tacoma washington View Post
    I am not so much a G&T fan as a V&T fan.
    For me it's all about serializing, dosage and pacing.
    I take long dinners and like to have wine with dinner.

So my take on the summer G&T is to keep it light.

Because there's a whole lot more coming down the pike over the course of the evening.
    Gin has terrible hangovers if you over do it. Good Vodka seems to have a much cleaner burn.
    OK...so?

Seagrams vodka?

My last tangle with Popov while blazing along after too much electric black jello didn't seem to have much effect.

What do G&T's and breasts have in common? One's not enough, and three's too many.
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Uncle Val's Botanical Gin with Schweppes tonic. Uncle Val's is similar to Hendricks, but different. So it's a nice change of pace.

I'll try some of the Fever Tree and Fentimans tonic to see what I'm missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Svengali View Post
    What do G&T's and breasts have in common? One's not enough, and three's too many.
    I do enjoy of bit of citrus with a breast.

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    Uncle Val's Botanical Gin with Schweppes tonic. Uncle Val's is similar to Hendricks, but different. So it's a nice change of pace.

I'll try some of the Fever Tree and Fentimans tonic to see what I'm missing.
    Hmm. Cool. Thanks, I'll cue up some Uncle Val's.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Hmm. Cool. Thanks, I'll cue up some Uncle Val's.
    Yeah man, it has mostly replaced Hendricks at my home. Do it.

A shot and a half of The Botanist Islay gin, Fever Tree tonic (I'm especially partial to the bitter lemon), and ice. Turns hell to heaven on a hot day.

For a GT it has to be Tanqueray for me with Schwepps and a generous squeeze of lime and run it around the rim to finish. It's the way Grandpa made them. Always good, always refreshing!

Fun fact: The mixed drink gin and tonic originated in British colonial India, when the British population would mix their medicinal quinine tonic with gin.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    For a GT it has to be Tanqueray for me with Schwepps and a generous squeeze of lime and run it around the rim to finish. It's the way Grandpa made them. Always good, always refreshing!
    Here's I'm trying to be a man of taste and bearing and you go tossing out lines including "run it around the rim to finish".

What greater test of e-fortitude?

Nonetheless, thanks for the suggestion. I've not tried Tanqueray.

Fun fact: The mixed drink gin and tonic originated in British colonial India, when the British population would mix their medicinal quinine tonic with gin.
    Yup. We can blame British colonial excesses for ourselves, IPAs and G&Ts.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    A shot and a half of The Botanist Islay gin, Fever Tree tonic (I'm especially partial to the bitter lemon), and ice. Turns hell to heaven on a hot day.

Wow. Islay gin? My current favorite scotch is Caol Ila since Lagavulin has gotten so ridiculously expensive.

If you can find it, white port and tonic (50/50 over ice with a squeeze of lime) is a refreshing way to transition from afternoon to evening.
    In with the 9.

Nothing but Sapphire, Fever Tree and a fresh lime twist. When it's super hot (April - November) I prefer to double the gin and sip a little more slowly.

Never understood the appeal of Hendricks - the only thing worse is Nolet's. Experimented with Old Raj, but it's little more than the kick.

I don't want to derail this thread too far, but...

We used to put gin in a Pimm's Cup, great summer beverage.

Aviation gin is pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by berko View Post
    If you can find it, white port and tonic (50/50 over ice with a squeeze of lime) is a refreshing way to transition from afternoon to evening.
    I've been drinking, at times heavily, pretty much steadily for almost 40 years, and I've never even heard of white port.

Intriguing.

Beehive from Utah has replaced my Hendricks. Yes, Fevertree Tonic. Hmm it is that time of day.
    Click. Point. Chute.

feverishly taking notes
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

As to the gin, this gin from vermont was really stellar by which I mean amazing: http://caledoniaspirits.com/spirit/gin/

^^^I got that idea from my daughter, who loves gin, and it's pretty amazing stuff. But this vvv is by far her most favoritest gin ever, from Galicia of all places. I'm not sure how you get it in the States and I've never had it but I would trust her and buy a bottle if I saw one.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/gin/atl...-galician-gin/

I hate gins with overpowering juniper and she agrees. Some juniper, sure. But too much is way too much.

Hendricks, fresh lime, and whatever comes out of the gun over a glass full of ice. But, honestly, the $3/24 oz. g&ts poured at one of the bars in college were pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Wow. Islay gin?
    It's fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I've been drinking, at times heavily, pretty much steadily for almost 40 years, and I've never even heard of white port.

Intriguing.
    Zappa do wop to the pleasures of WPLJ:

Anyone ever had Brazos Gin? My local liquor store has it on super closeout, and I have to go there tomorrow morning for something else.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Tanqueray Ten for me when I go to a G&T. Love that gin. Very smooth. Schweppes for the tonic. A lime.

I need to try some of this Fever Tree tonic so see what I'm missing. A few varieties of it out there. What do I go with for their "basic tonic"?