Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    I just returned home from a week in Colorado. Turns out, it's very similar to Utah.
    Utah is mo-mo-ville and CO is sativa-ville. Worlds apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Come to Colorado. Definitely endurance based. Everyone I know who races has to train for them and not the fun kind of training (lots of downhill).
    Bullshit. The Colorado enduros are generally for shuttle monkeys and DH maniacs. Transfers are a walk in the park, and most of the guys do just that. Walk their bikes.

So one race had 8,500 ft of climbing last year in NM. Everybody bitched about it so they made it easier this year. Happens at all the enduro races. They don't want climbing or pedaling so they take it out.

Meanwhile 16 year old kids are destroying people twice their age because they focus on fun and not making excuses.

The three transfers at the BME in Winter Park last weekend:
    1.0mi 151ft climbing
    2.4mi 361ft
    1.7mi 187ft

What do you do for endurbro training?

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Bullshit. The Colorado enduros are generally for shuttle monkeys and DH maniacs. Transfers are a walk in the park, and most of the guys do just that. Walk their bikes.

So one race had 8,500 ft of climbing last year in NM. Everybody bitched about it so they made it easier this year. Happens at all the enduro races. They don't want climbing or pedaling so they take it out.

Meanwhile 16 year old kids are destroying people twice their age because they focus on fun and not making excuses.
    I wasn't necessarily talking about transfers. Most people I know that race enduros have to train the shit outta themselves for endurance reasons. Its not just go 'ride with your bros and see who goes downhill the fastest'. CB was a whoopin last year. So is Aspen.

<snip>
    16 year old kids are destroying people twice their age because they're 1/2 their age.

Maybe it's just me, but as an old fucker, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to endur the bros.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    16 year old kids are destroying people twice their age because they're 1/2 their age.
    but half their experience. So make sense of that? Older folks are scared of crashing? Can't wind up the pedals as easily as before? never was fast never gonna be fast?

but half their experience. So make sense of that? Older folks are scared of crashing? Can't wind up the pedals as easily as before? never was fast never gonna be fast?
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Older folks are scared of crashing?
    Yeah, last time I dislocated my left ring finger and filleted the edge of one elbow down to the bursa sac, I think I am good on any more crashes for a while

Never was fast, never gonna be very fast, don't really give a shit as long as I can do what I do for 5+ hrs?

<snip> Older folks are scared of crashing?
    Only the smart ones...

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    Honestly sounds like you've never done one and are speculating on reasons to continue to not try one.

You have found local Enduros in the mid-Atlantic region with 8500' of climbing? Or anywhere outside of the EWS for that matter?

Suffering on your bike with friends can be fun, and tight transfer times are almost exclusively the result of mechanicals.
    Not entirely. I've done 3 low key easy enduros. I do them with my wife since she's my main riding partner, and I'm not too competitive since I try to go closer to her pace. Most of what's keeping me from doing more is life and location. We've avoided one big nearby race because numerous people who've done it have said it was way more of an endurance race and not fun.
    My ideal race is the Trans Savoie. Tons of epic terrain with a 50/50 split of uplifts. I've heard enough stories of the Big Mountain Enduro series wearing people out just trying to make each transfer that I lose all interest. For sure if I were to seriously train for Enduro it would have more emphasis on mileage and less on downhill skillz.
    However many are in a shit ton.

35 posts and no one suggests furious masturbation? You guys are slipping.
    Or cold showers, even?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    35 posts and no one suggests furious masturbation? You guys are slipping.
    Or cold showers, even?
    I thought that's what you did during transfers, no?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Hard and long transfers, duh

Mountain bike racing should be hard.
    BME races are either almost fully lift served or have solid transfers. If you're not acclimated, the transfers might be brutal. If you're acclimated, they're not bad.
    Enduro Cup races in UT, NM, ID have very manageable transfers. Last year at the Moab race I missed a turn, rode 4 extra miles and still waited 30min for my start.
    If the Endurance part of Enduro seems hard, just race DH ffs.

I would love to go back to the good old days where XC MTB racing was hard. Brutal climb followed by DH course type descent. Real bikes, real riders.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Older folks are scared of crashing? * * * never was fast never gonna be fast?
    Yes and yes. Being fearless about diving into a person's mouth, drilling their teeth, packing amalgam into spaces with various tools -- this doesn't translate to fast DH piloting. When Herbie Snowland DDS was hitting the books and messing with cadaver teeth, Jung Rhipper was pedaling his bike.

Dunfee, is this a meta-ironic troll, or are you serious? If serious, you have two choices:

1) Be a genetic freak, cardio- training wise and athletic skills accumulation wise, and just ride your bike for about 3 hrs/wk, no focus. Show up at your local race and destroy everyone, then resume heroin addiction and hooker consumerism.

2) Admit you're not (1), start some structured training to build your weak points into at least neutrals if not strengths. Get some ride technique help from people who know how to help. These may not be average rippers, some rippers are (1) and just manage to rip without knowing how/why they do.

What structured training? Depends on your weak points. At the very least, get your pedaling smooth & efficient, eliminate all up/down and make it all round. Learn to pedal with different muscle combinations. Use your core and pedal from a stable pelvis.

A simple, lazy-man's solution would be to ride a rigid fork singlespeed on reasonably technical loops. And don't gear it too easy. If you crash too much or can't handle rigid forks making your eyeballs vibrate in their sockets, cheat with a suspension fork. SS will make you work the climbs where your lazy ass would spin a hamster gear in the saddle. SS also makes you preserve speed rather than being a hamfist braker and pedal-recoverer.
    Last edited by creaky fossil; 07-12-2017 at 08:41 AM.

What do you do for endurbro training?

Step 1: decide what type of enduro bro you want to be

Step 2: buy matching key to match your bike, make sure your helmet, goggles (all serious enduro bros wear googles) and shoe laces match your bike

Step 3: make a sick edit about how hard you are training to attract sponsors (or so we can laugh at you )

Step 4: don't train, training is for pussies

Step 5: race your heart out, blame crappy results on a 'mechanical' not that you are a crappy rider

Step 6: immediately go on TGR/PinkBike/MTBN and list all your sick matching gear for sale because not having uber fat super boost hubs, a 5293853% gear range, and at least 300mm of rear travel, you don't stand a chance

Seriously though, good luck and have fun, laugh at all the people taking it way too serious, knock back a few adult beverages (I suggest waiting until after the race but that's up to you) and remember it's supposed to be fun.

On the training note, when I can't ride my bike for work, I do the best I can to keep my legs spinning on a stationary bike. Wall sits, planks and lunges are all super easy and help a ton. Same with pull ups and push ups. The simplest things seem to work the best.

Oh and get a Wreckening because no one would dream of racing on a little bike...