Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recommend New MTB Hotness

My aging and irrelevantly-wheel-sized Remedy was nabbed last night, so after years of delaying the inevitable, it's new bike time. What are wunderbikes out there these days?

I had the Remedy set up more downhill friendly than originally specc'd: 160mm fork, 1x10, wide bars + short stem, etc, and was generally content with that setup, aside from suspension performance quibbles.

I'm leaning towards 27.5", but am not sure if I can get away with less travel (~125-130mm) or should stick with the ~150mm bikes. Trails on the Front Range are mostly smooth-ish IMO with occasional chunky sections and neatly stacked piles of newly arrived midwesterners to ride over. When I70 and other mtn byways aren't on fire, I take 2-3 trips/season to burlier locales (Teton Pass, Moab, CB, etc.) The new long travel 29ers look fun but I'm staying away for now because I suck at cornering when considering how long I've been doing this, but can ride in a straight line pretty fast already; feel free to tell me what's wrong with that logic. I don't think I can spend more than $3500 on principle.

Thus far I like the looks of the Transition stuff (Scout a smidge more than Patrol). What else should I be looking at?
    Last edited by North; 07-06-2017 at 03:54 PM.

The aluminum Santa Cruz Bronson fits your interests and price point.

For $3500-ish you should be able to pick up pretty much your choice of good condition, 1-2 year old, well-spec'd blingy carbon bikes ridden by slow dentists from most boutique brands. I've definitely seen Pivots, Yetis, Ibis, etc. all pop up on Front Range Bike Swap in that price range.

If I were you I'd stick with a 27.5" 150-160mm bike because I've ridden with you and know you like to do dumb shit and jump off stuff and that's just more fun on a bigger bike.

Devinici Troy fits in your budget and needs.

Bronson is solid, Kona Process 134 or 153 fit well too.

After riding juniors Yeti 5.5 I picked one up and I'm really liking it

think a 29'er you can do dumb shit with
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I picked up a 2016 Trek Slash 9.8 off Boulder Craigslist a few months ago for $2500. When I bought it the bike was totally stock (27.5, gx drivetrain, xt brakes, reverb, 150/160 pike, rc3 debonair) and in great condition.

I ride at Trestle bike park once or twice a week, frequently hit the popular front range trails, and have been out to Moab twice with it.

The bike handles everything very well, even with the 65 degree head angle it still climbs better than any mountain bike I've owned, and I haven't broken anything on myself or the bike at the bike park yet... The used bike market around here is a hot stove to say the least.

If you want to head out for a ride sometime, I've got a few bikes that fit your want list, that you're welcome to test ride: Ibis HD3, Ibis Mojo 3, BMC TrailCrew (depending on your size), and the BMC TrailFox 29er.

I've also got the SpeedFox 29er, but I'm guessing that's a little more trail-oriented than you're looking for... although it might be my favorite bike of the bunch (and I've ridden it in CB, Moab, St. George, etc).

mtn bike unicycle is a singular phenom
    watch out for snakes

Take smmokan up on his offer and test ride some stuff.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I do like the new 27.5"+ Salsa
    watch out for snakes

For the one bike you probably want something 150-160mm. I am a couple days from getting a transition scout(125mm) to compliment my 160mm banshee rune. Rune has been doing everything. Really like it. With the scout , I'll probably turn the rune into a 180mm darkside.
    Yesterday I was discussing my scout build with the shop and getting a quote on a transition patrol(155mm) for a friend. You may want to look into the patrol. Transition may have some sales on them. Sweet bikes. Good company

I have a Patrol, and truly enjoy it. When I bought it I thought the 155-160 travel would be too much for the front range. It's not at all. Climbs good enough and descends great.

X2 on the Troy
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Take smmokan up on his offer and test ride some stuff.
    ^ This. Don't buy anything without at least an hour or two in the saddle. Golden bike shop is also hosting 2 free demos this month (16th and 30th). The Spot guys in Golden will also let you demo their bikes for free. They have a badass 27.5 and 29er. Both dialed for the Front Range trails.

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    The Spot guys in Golden will also let you demo their bikes for free. They have a badass 27.5 and 29er. Both dialed for the Front Range trails.
    That Mayhem is a badass bike.... but unfortunately it's abot $3000 more than he wants to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    For $3500-ish you should be able to pick up pretty much your choice of good condition, 1-2 year old, well-spec'd blingy carbon bikes ridden by slow dentists from most boutique brands. I've definitely seen Pivots, Yetis, Ibis, etc. all pop up on Front Range Bike Swap in that price range.

If I were you I'd stick with a 27.5" 150-160mm bike because I've ridden with you and know you like to do dumb shit and jump off stuff and that's just more fun on a bigger bike.
    Haha thanks for the input man.

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanwillie View Post
    I picked up a 2016 Trek Slash 9.8 off Boulder Craigslist a few months ago for $2500.
    That's an incredible deal. Ultimately the decision will boil down to price. If I can scrounge up a slowbro deal on something I like I'll go new, but more likely will grab something 1-2 seasons old as you and adrenalated are suggesting.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    If you want to head out for a ride sometime, I've got a few bikes that fit your want list, that you're welcome to test ride: Ibis HD3, Ibis Mojo 3, BMC TrailCrew (depending on your size), and the BMC TrailFox 29er.
    Thanks for the offer. I'll definitely be taking you up on that, now that I'm going to be relegated to rolling around on the old Anthem X I was prepping to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    ^ This. Don't buy anything without at least an hour or two in the saddle. Golden bike shop is also hosting 2 free demos this month (16th and 30th). The Spot guys in Golden will also let you demo their bikes for free. They have a badass 27.5 and 29er. Both dialed for the Front Range trails.
    Thanks for the heads up on those Demo days. Kicking myself for missing the Transition one, but it sounds like they may bring a few to the Yeti Demo. Serious question though, Is there anything on Green Mountain that requires suspension? In all my years here I've never been compelled to ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post

Thanks for the heads up on those Demo days. Kicking myself for missing the Transition one, but it sounds like they may bring a few to the Yeti Demo. Serious question though, Is there anything on Green Mountain that requires suspension? In all my years here I've never been compelled to ride it.
    I always ride up Zoro and hit Dakota Ridge during the GM demos.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    That Mayhem is a badass bike.... but unfortunately it's abot $3000 more than he wants to spend.
    True. I just sold two bikes to help pay for my Spot Mayhem. Probably won't see any hitting the used market until next season.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    They're holding the demos in the west lot, so you can go up Zorro and do Dakota. Edit: ColMan beat me to it

evo Denver has Transition Patrol and Scout demos, as well as the Devinci Troy
    I do work for evo HQ over here in Seattle.
    https://www.evo.com/locations/denver...ces/bike-demos

steve, have you noticed if they have stiffened up the rear on the newer gen Ripleys? I have a first gen that rides great but the rear triangle is a total noodle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Banshee Spitfire, 26" Pike and 26" wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    steve, have you noticed if they have stiffened up the rear on the newer gen Ripleys? I have a first gen that rides great but the rear triangle is a total noodle.
    I don't have any of the new V3 Ripleys.... all of my 29ers this year are BMCs (SpeedFox and TrailFox). I like both of them more than the V2 Ripleys I had last year, to be perfectly honest. The 2017 SpeedFox is a fucking rocket and is super fun downhill too. It's very similar to the above-mentioned Spot Mayhem.

Quote Originally Posted by DaHeel View Post
    X2 on the Troy
    X3 on Troy. I run a 160mm fork for slightly increased shredliness...

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    X3 on Troy. I run a 160mm fork for slightly increased shredliness...
    Ditto, it turns the enduro up to 11.