Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Maybe we've already covered this but if not, how does the "zero emissions" marketing jive with the fact that ~65% of US power is generated by burning coal and natural gas?
    Just as a PSA the word you're looking for is "jibe."

^^^ Nope. I meant jive.

Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Page 5 was a banger.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    is there not one TGR member that owns an EV?
    Does a 918 Spyder count?

I've had a couple of Telsas Model S. Auto Pilot is cool, the rest is meh.

Telsa better be concerned with Mission E. Apparently Porsche wants 50% of their vehicles to be EV in 6 years.

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

I do. I've got a Leaf as my grocery getter / daycare-mobile. It's a great car for that kind of duty, though I have a larger AWD gasser for deep snow, longer trips, and trailhead access. I'm saving a few hundred bucks a month on gas, car payment / depreciation, and repairs/maintenance compared to having a second dead dinosaur-mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I do. I've got a Leaf as my grocery getter / daycare-mobile. It's a great car for that kind of duty, though I have a larger AWD gasser for deep snow, longer trips, and trailhead access. I'm saving a few hundred bucks a month on gas, car payment / depreciation, and repairs/maintenance compared to having a second dead dinosaur-mobile.
    Any issues in cold weather or ever running out of juice?

Any issues in cold weather or ever running out of juice?
    I've got a 2012 with the older-style heater, so I definitely notice a reduction in range in cold weather. I heard the newer ones with the heat pump are better, though. I don't think my heavy studded snows do it any favors, either.

The only time I've ever run it totally out of juice was when I got it stuck in my own neighborhood (we only snowblow the dirt roads down to a packed powder surface and it was a massive pow day. And I snapped a chain.). I had to run a long extension cord to my neighbor's house and then we yanked it up the block with the HOA's tractor and I limped into the garage.

All-in-all, I can't complain. I bought it used for cheap and my plan is to drive it into the ground until I can buy a used Model 3 or Bolt for cheap. Hopefully they depreciate the way the Leaf does!

And this, ladies and germs, is where TaaS/autonomous e-vehicles are going to kill it.

I may as well take my lumps. My name is commonlaw, and I commute in a hybrid.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    And this, ladies and germs, is where TaaS/autonomous e-vehicles are going to kill it.
    Yep. Back when I lived in a city, my wife and I owned 1 car and used a mix of public transit, bikes, and the Car2Go service when we needed it. It was just way the fuck cheaper. Car2Go operates in basically the way people think about when they imagine fleets of autonomous cabs. If we lived close in to town now, I would be looking for ways to operate on 1 car again. But we make a shitload of 10-15 mile trips and have no public transit out here in the boonies. The Leaf is my way of trying to minimize that expense.

I've got a 2012 with the older-style heater, so I definitely notice a reduction in range in cold weather. I heard the newer ones with the heat pump are better, though. I don't think my heavy studded snows do it any favors, either.

The only time I've ever run it totally out of juice was when I got it stuck in my own neighborhood (we only snowblow the dirt roads down to a packed powder surface and it was a massive pow day. And I snapped a chain.). I had to run a long extension cord to my neighbor's house and then we yanked it up the block with the HOA's tractor and I limped into the garage.

All-in-all, I can't complain. I bought it used for cheap and my plan is to drive it into the ground until I can buy a used Model 3 or Bolt for cheap. Hopefully they depreciate the way the Leaf does!
    Cool. The Bolt should depreciate fast, but I doubt the model 3 will for a long time. I'll sell you mine if I don't like it, ha.

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    I totally agree except the cost of emitting carbon is not captured in today's cost of fuel. we need a national carbon tax - it is needed to reduce green house emissions.
    CA has been going it alone on this front for a while now. The result? Gas is $1 more in CA than AZ. It's about to go up $0.12/ gal in tax and another $0.65 in cap and trade pass through. That's right, CA gas is about to be $1.50-$1.75/gal MORE than everywhere else in the fucking nation. That's going to have repercussions - it has to. Gov. Moonbeam thinks the other states will just follow CA's lead but they haven't and they would have to be out of their fucking minds to do so.

Oh, and how much carbon has CA captured? None. It has had zero effect on global climate change and won't ever. We could all go back to living in caves in CA and it would have no effect. It's just a money grab to fund out-of-control pensions and the governor's choo-choo.

FWIW - my wife and I both drive plug-in hybrids so we can use the carpool lanes. Just gaming the system. Probably best to save the discussion about what a scam carpool lanes are for another thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    The rise of the plug in requires investment in nuclear power that we refuse to do, or an unpredicted breakthrough in battery technology. End of story.
    In short, no. CA is in the process of shutting down 2 nuke plants. The state mandates such a high % of power to be produced by solar and wind that we actually pay other states to take it. After all, you can't control when the sun shines or the wind blows. We still need fuel plants to over the other times of the day and night. I suppose the batteries would help there. Besides, natural gas plants are still cheaper. Too bad it's against the rules to use it more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86a3934.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	210007

Bolinger electric truck was revealed last week. Interesting.

Also, the Tesla 3 was revealed. Lotsa cool stuff about it, but I'm pissed i have to wait another year to get AWD, meanwhile I can't keep my current car that long, it has to go.

When you hit the brakes, do those 2x4s go flying out the front? Is a pretty neat truck, though 200 mile range for any adventurin ain't gonna get you too far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    though 200 mile range for any adventurin ain't gonna get you too far.
    And I bet that's an optimistic number with low-speed high torque driving (with several hundred pounds of gear)

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    When you hit the brakes, do those 2x4s go flying out the front?[/URL]
    That's how you quickly unload at the job site, duh.