Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Any Paraglider Pilots?

I've been finding it pretty addicting. I'm going to Point of the Mountain and the end of summer to train for my P2 certification. Seems like it can be a safe sport if you are smart about it. Right now, I'm a sponge for any and all things flying.

For your time http://www.redbullxalps.com/

Hit up cmor.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

A friend of mine died flying. Did a really stupid thing, even after many years of flying, he didn't buckle his harness. Do all the safety stuff ever time, so many times it is ingrained, then double check. There is a good reason all old pilots use a pre-flight check list, even after thousands of hours. One little mistake, one skipped step, one assumption, and bad shit happens. Totally avoidable accident. We assume he was so focused on making sure his passenger was properly buckled in that he didn't double check his own harness.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

My neighbor is a flyer and from time to time I hang with a group of < a doz, its a pretty eclectic sport and maybe one of those people could be thot of as normal

the flying is usually pretty safe ... its the landing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

One of Crystal's other regular paragliders was air lifted off the hill on Monday after a big crash.

Scary shit.

Be careful Foggy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Is there a launch site at Winter Park?

Aspen has two. East side is mostly morning and west side, afternoon.
    Both are about 3,000 feet above the LZ's.
    I have 3 tandems off the east side.
    I could see getting certified at some point.

No launch at Winter Park. Of course with Aspen having purchased Intrawest, maybe that will change. The closest establishes launches are near Kremmling, Vail and Steamboat. I've got a lot of ground handling to do before flight. My mentor is a 20year pilot with a great safety record. He has flown Aspen many times. I'm willing to be very patient in order to stay safe. We'll see where it all lead but the pull of human flight is very real.

I have a Private/Multi/Instrument rating and go to quite a few air shows.
    Some of the powered parasails look pretty dam nice and can do some amazing acrobatics.
    Be a lot nicer to be able to fly locally.

My mentor is a big paramotor guy because you get to fly more. He says he just idles when up for safety reasons. His setup, weighs about 50lbs. That said, you need a lot of free flight time before you can/should add the complexity of a motor into the mix. They absolutely are some sick machines.

I'm not sure if Carter participates on here, he places well in the Canadian Ski Comps but I thought this was a cool post of his from a couple days ago:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWUL7z2Bi_M/?hl=en
    (Hmm, not sure how to embed)

RIP Chris and Willi Muller, Chris was one of my best friend through University.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I'm going to Point of the Mountain and the end of summer to train for my P2 certification.
    Let me know if you want to get some beers or something while you're in the 'hood. My former neighbor is an instructor out there, his name is Che.

Yep Dan. When I make it to Salt Lake I'll be visiting a lot of friends. It has been way to long.

Any Ogden plans?

Ogden, that's in Salt Lake right? I would assume that would be in the plans. Strange, people actually want to hang out with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Ogden, that's in Salt Lake right? I would assume that would be in the plans. Strange, people actually want to hang out with me.
    Ha. Ogden is 35 miles north, more like 55 from Draper. It's where MD9's bar is located.

and it's somewhere on the Ogden scale.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Ogden is in Idaho, IIRC.

I've been paragliding for the last 5 years. Moved back to Winter Park in January. Let's grab a beer some time Foggy.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

A love connection!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Any Paraglider Pilots?

I love paragliding - There is nothing else remotely like it that I have done in my life. The sensation of flying is unbelievable. I was hooked the first time I tried it. I didn't think there were many other paragliders on this forum, so this thread is cool to see.

The biggest thing I have learned as a pilot is to balance risk vs reward. The risk of serious injury or death is very real. When I first started paragliding I was reckless - I am lucky that I didn't die or seriously injure myself. Nowadays I am very careful and play it safe. I still fuck myself up from time to time, but nothing too serious.

I bought a mini wing a couple years ago and wanted to get into speed flying, but quickly realized that speedflying is not for me. I much prefer the relaxing paragliding experience to the speedflying experience. To me, paragliding is an escape, somewhere you can be with yourself for a while and relax. Speedflying is too high stress, with not nearly enough air time for my tastes. Some of the dudes I met who are really into speedflying are fucking nuts... I guess you have to be kinda insane to be a speedflyer.

Coolest experience of my life was paragliding over mokapu beach in Hawaii. Paragliding over the ocean is a whole new experience and it is absolutely incredible.

The front range has tons of great spots to launch, if you are willing to deal with some long hikes

I have been learning to fly in Switzerland. Getting close to taking the exam - need a few more flights, and my landings need to be more accurate. Learning to thermal is wild. It is so much fun, and most of the ski areas allow it year round. A great way to learn is to do a course with a school for a week or 2... Let me know if you are ever headed this way.

Swerve, I'll PM you. If you see anyone ground handling at the ball fields, that's two of my friends, our mentor and me. My name is James.

WTF, care to give any info on the hike to front range sites?

Safety - obviously it can be dangerous. I like the culture of rigorous training & instruction. Besides flying in weather you are not equipped to handle, what to you guys see as big red flags to safety?

Sharcsplean - I'd love to fly in Europe but that's a ways out.

Man, I better be seeing some wasatch front paragliding stoke from you at some point...

Paragliding is probably on my 2 year out plan for sports I want to get in to. Shit's way rad

I've been flying a lot the last 5 years. Mostly speedflying/speedriding but doing more and more paragliding. Speedriding pow is about as good as it gets, still a real small community in the US. It unfortunately can be really hard to get into here.

fly junkies coming out of the woodwork. The weather around here has been horrible for even ground handling lately. I've been reading "The Art of Paragliding" in preparation for my training. You guys have any online resources you could share? Specifically, I'm interested in seeing where you like to fly and if you have any info on the launch sites.

I'm trying to figure out what are good, safe spots for an entry level pilot. Opinions seem to range from "if the conditions are good, you can fly anywhere" to "most places are really sketchy, who should stick to a handful of dependable locations."