Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    We actually pay drivers at Wolcott. You could probably make a few $s. It is kinda weird deal and I only know half the story. It is private land owned by some old school Eagle County family. They just paid most of the cost to grading the road so you can drive all the way to launch. It gets flown a lot on southwest evenings. I'll PM you when it looks like it might happen. I soared for 2 hrs. there on Tuesday.
    Foggy, nice meeting you Tuesday!

And wtf, they banned top landing mont blanc!? How many people have died climbing it? I'm sure more than one.

Edit: After looking into it some more, it appears to have already been illegal to fly over/top land there (maybe only in July and August?), but nobody cared since base was at 6000m+ and, well, fuck it, YOLO.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    Foggy, nice meeting you Tuesday!
    Ha...funny

It is Friday. How about some cutaways? So French.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    And wtf, they banned top landing mont blanc!? How many people have died climbing it? I'm sure more than one.

Edit: After looking into it some more, it appears to have already been illegal to fly over/top land there (maybe only in July and August?), but nobody cared since base was at 6000m+ and, well, fuck it, YOLO.
    Can't wait for them to post a gendarme up there to ticket those illegal top landings.

Not to be a downer, but until I saw this video I thought paragliding, etc. seemed extremely cool. Now I don't know if I'd have the risk appetite for it. I'm guessing this is wildly unlikely to occur, but is there anything that could be done in the event that wind shear/a near-instantaneous reduction in airspeed causes the chute to collapse?

I'm not terribly experienced, but I've seen a reserve chute work in a crazy situation right next to a cliff. The pilot hit some rotor turbulence and had an asymmetric collapse on the terrain side. He got tossed into a riser twist while flying at the wall, threw his reserve, then ended up bouncing his way UP the rock face before he grabbed a tree. Nothing but some scrapes and bruises. Just an anecdote, but I've heard of a number of other successful reserve deployments.

Paragliding is still definitely dangerous. I try to fly as high as possible to give lots of time to sort it out or throw the reserve. I get nervous when I'm as low as that guy in the video. I'm also religious about checking the weather, whether I'm flying or not.

Paragliders are amazing aircraft with a very narrow range of safe operating conditions. If you fly outside of the safe conditions, you are asking for trouble. If you read the comments from that video, you will see that (from the pilots own analysis) the meteorological conditions that lead to the glider collapse (his malfunction) were forecast, verified (weather balloon) and ignored.

The ground is hard and the air is invisible. Altitude is your friend. Powered Paraglider Pilots in the flatlands are notorious for cruising low. You need to be hyper aware when you are so low that your reserve may not help.

And yes, there are things that could be done to both prevent the collapse and recover. I'm not gonna go into the analysis of the pilots technique or the specifics of the recovery only to say that things could have been done differently.

Simply put, that accident was 99% pilot error. Always always check winds at altitude before flying, otherwise the sky shark will get you.

Had an amazing flight up to 18k' from Bellyache today. I was massively underdressed for the freezing temps combined with a 20mph wind chill, but it was absolutely incredible.

Amazing flight! 18K is big time!

A mentor of mine says, "I was having a great flight, I got cold and then I had to come down, never again." It is hard to put on a puffy and winter gloves when it is 80 out and you have no idea if you are going to get up or not.

I was gonna PM you but no reason it can't be public. RMHPA is gonna have an informal fly-in the weekend of 9/14-9/15. We have the group campsite reserved at Pumphouse. We can fly all the K Town sites plus fishing, rafting, kayaking, swimming etc. It is about the best time of the year to be down there. I suppose I'll throw it out there that if anyone is interested in paragliding, it would be a good opportunity to check it out. Might even get to fly some tandems in exchange for driving shuttle.

Also, the Red Rocks Fly In in Central Utah is the week of 9/23-9/27. If the conditions are good, which is frequent, those sites are about the most fun one can have.

Name:  Flyin.jpg
Views: 2415
Size:  72.5 KB

I KNEW a paraglider, Johnnie my neighbor

A damn good fly-in/wake last july for a neighbor/paraglider/paddler/skier/climber/fish biologist/all around wildman and a damn good barista

Johnnie from Smithers pretty much lived life on the edge, he probably should have been killed by un-natural cause's but he was just too damn good ... instead he was taken much too young by cancer

the day of the party was Shitty weather so flying off the ski hill and landing at the catholic school was iffy but it came together at the last minute, 7 of 8 local flyers made it to the LZ and right on over to the wake which was 50 ft away

The old timers hockey club donated 2 kegs of craft beer, great food, a live band, probably 100 people, great storyies told ... johnnie always had great partys

I miss him
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

^^
    So sorry for your loss Al. Sounds like a damn good guy. Take care buddy.

Amazing flight! 18K is big time!

A mentor of mine says, "I was having a great flight, I got cold and then I had to come down, never again." It is hard to put on a puffy and winter gloves when it is 80 out and you have no idea if you are going to get up or not.

I was gonna PM you but no reason it can't be public. RMHPA is gonna have an informal fly-in the weekend of 9/14-9/15. We have the group campsite reserved at Pumphouse. We can fly all the K Town sites plus fishing, rafting, kayaking, swimming etc. It is about the best time of the year to be down there. I suppose I'll throw it out there that if anyone is interested in paragliding, it would be a good opportunity to check it out. Might even get to fly some tandems in exchange for driving shuttle.

Also, the Red Rocks Fly In in Central Utah is the week of 9/23-9/27. If the conditions are good, which is frequent, those sites are about the most fun one can have.
    Caught at least 10 landing at pumphouse on Sunday. Conditions looked perfect.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

If you are bored and enjoy freeflight, this is worth a watch. One of the more French things I've seen in a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeRO-qlsvyk

If you are bored and enjoy freeflight, this is worth a watch. One of the more French things I've seen in a while.
    Very cool ! although the speed flying part doesn't appeal to me, I would like to stay airborne longer ,the concept of combining flying and skiing an awesome idea .

I've not tried paragliding and would love to try sometime . I'm a fixed wing glider guy since the mid 70's I like the speed and ability to travel long distances . I'm not as aggressive as this guy though.

"It's only steep if you're backseat"

Bumping up this thread with some photos from flying this summer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200704_184842.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	580.1 KB 
ID:	341936
    Kiting at Telluride waiting out some weather

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-07-09-19h50m20s379.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1,021.7 KB 
ID:	341940
    Flying smoke bombs over Telluride on the 4th.

Name:	20200711_113043.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	811.4 KB 
ID:	341937
    17,000' and change over Copper

Name:	20200906_190112.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	578.2 KB 
ID:	341939

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-09-09-15h51m06s758.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	801.2 KB 
ID:	341941
    Sunset over Kremmling

Name:	20200809_093832.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	959.0 KB 
ID:	341938
    Looking south from Mt. Princeton (Sorry about the rotation)

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-08-17-21h43m26s766.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	341945
    Surfing the flatirons

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-08-02-08h38m45s950.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	341942

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-08-02-08h30m35s509.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	341943
    Enjoying some glass smooth air above and through the clouds off Mt. Victoria.

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-09-09-16h18m25s795.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1,023.8 KB 
ID:	341944
    Sunset glide to Vail while Foggy and company were getting boosted to 14k' in the glass off at Wolcott

If you ever get back to Wolcott and want a shuttle or just a beer, I'd love to meet you and see Foggy again.

If you ever get back to Wolcott and want a shuttle or just a beer, I'd love to meet you, and see Foggy again. We changed a tire right there on his truck during the very beginning of an epic mag get together in '09. You should at least have my number if shit goes weird. I'm right there in 20.

There's been a crew of paragliders on Swan Man between Breck and Dillon a few nights this summer on my way home from work. 10 of them one night. Any of yous guys up there?

Sick!

That is cool. Post more pics, plz

Woah, I missed this years updates. I'll try to get some pics in here. This is a video that shows the emotions of flight. This is an experienced pilot. I never see Zartagen, he is always skied out by the time I show up. MTM, I'll contact you next time we are going to Wolcott.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScSFxpJ3aS4

Name:	Cove Photo.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	247.0 KB 
ID:	343241

Here is a good one

Was that at Red Rocks?