Page 16 of 45 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    ^^^ Hard to believe that is 19 years old! Thanks for the feedback. Seller mentioned heater-T’s need replacing. Sounds like parts are $200 (which seller has) but need the work done. Also forgot to try 4-low when I test drove it recently.

Just paid for some used 10k old Billy HD shocks for less bounce off road. Firm up the ride.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TGR Forums mobile app
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by ski-wpk View Post
    Sorry if this is a jack of the thread, but considering a 2000 model year 100 series with 200K+ miles in what looks to be very good condition. CA owned most of its life, no rust, new suspension, new brakes, no electrical issues, recent timing belt, AC blows cold. Was looking for a 2001-2004 model year (long story) but this one looks better than anythIng I’ve seen in the past year. What else should I be asking about / looking for? Thanks!
    did you buy the truck? This can leave you high and dry in BFE: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/bus....57050/page-10. there's a chance that the ignition piece has already broken and been replaced. the PO would probably know.

Ugh, I don't like that thread at all.

sent from some fucking device using some fucking program.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    did you buy the truck? This can leave you high and dry in BFE: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/bus....57050/page-10. there's a chance that the ignition piece has already broken and been replaced. the PO would probably know.
    That just happened to ours. So thankful it happened in a store parking lot, not at a trailhead miles from anywhere. New piece from Toyota looks to be stronger in every way possible.

I was walking distance from home (thankfully). It took me 3 fucking hours to fish out a few of the pieces using mechanics picks on a hot summer day.

well the wife is gonna get a lesson in not reefin on the key when the wheel is turned. I don't want this to happen to me.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    well the wife is gonna get a lesson in not reefin on the key when the wheel is turned. I don't want this to happen to me.
    I don't think it's preventable, we were parked in a flat parking lot with the wheels straight. The interlock wasn't under tension. It broke when the key was just past the run position but hadn't started yet. When yours breaks, you'll wonder WTF Toyota used such a whimpy small piece of cheap cast metal on such a critical part. If you're lucky you'll be able to start the car with a socket after pulling the dash apart. Or if you're like us it will snap cleanly at the base and you'll need to have it towed. If I was planning on driving the vehicle beyond cell service I would seriously consider swapping to the new part preemptively.

I need to get the records from a Toyota dealer and see if it has already been done. I don't like the sound of this one bit. I regularly take my rigs out and about...

sigless.

I was in a flat parking lot with straight unlocked steering wheel. People replace theirs as a preventative item. My next door neighbor has been professionally wrenching on Toyota’s for over 25 years. He loaned me his picks to pull out the pieces. He knew exactly what had happened and was able to rattle off some of the other models and generations off the top of his head that have the same shitty part. I only remember him mentioning one of the generations of Camry.

Did not buy, but adding this to the list of what to check for. Currently negotiating an ‘02, though now ideally looking for an ‘04. Wife liked the truck enough that I’m now looking for something <150k miles so it can be her daily driver (I don’t drive more than a few days a week).

The transmission in Mrs. LWS's LX470 just took a giant shit.

Has 185k miles. Great rig otherwise. Will not rev above 1800 rpm without horrible grinding and shuttering.

Should I sell it as is? Have it fixed? Shop quoted $5000 to fix. I don't have time nor the desire to replace it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post

Has 185k miles. Great rig otherwise. Will not rev above 1800 rpm without horrible grinding and shuttering.

Should I sell it as is? Have it fixed? Shop quoted $5000 to fix. I don't have time nor the desire to replace it myself.
    Nice luck you've been having!

Guess you'll be giving it to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Nice luck you've been having!
    I think I'm just going to buy a new car with a warranty and become a payment slave like everyone else. I'm so tired of working on shit.

Instead of the super gnar bro Uber hip landcruiser thing just get her a nice little awd suv? Small suby?

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Instead of the super gnar bro Uber hip landcruiser thing just get her a nice little awd suv? Small suby?
    No, bro, his driveway DEMANDS the gnarbromobiles

80 series land cruiser futures

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    No, bro, his driveway DEMANDS the gnarbromobiles
    I need a bumper sticker: I drove LVS’s driveway and survived.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post

Why did trannie fail?

Because the universe is out to get me

Damn if you were closer I'd take it off your hands and slap a nice used in from a wrecked one. Source a good used one and pay your mechanic to put it in, should knock 2/3 o the bill off.

sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Damn if you were closer I'd take it off your hands and slap a nice used in from a wrecked one. Source a good used one and pay your mechanic to put it in, should knock 2/3 o the bill off.

This is a great idea or just call a few wrecking yards and JDM dealers. A good mechanic can knock it out for under a thousand bucks.

here's what my mechanic shared with me about replacing my 4.7L 2uz engine on my 100-series. i imagine most of this would translate for a trannie replacement.

as a small indie garage, he's only willing/able to call the junk yards that he always deals with, and he typically calls them weekly. he encouraged me to search far and wide, double check with him before i make any purchase, buy from a functioning truck (was in an accident not related to failure of the wanted part) with low mileage, and get something with a warranty on parts and mechanic's labor. my mechanic shared that the labor warranty, in his experience, does not provide a lot, but it's much better than no labor warranty. junk yard stock changes quickly. if you buy the part and there's a problem, the seller will only talk to you to deal with the issue and not your mechanic. talk to the seller, do not just do it all online, if possible.

there's probably a bunch of other stuff that you'd probably like to do with the truck when replacing the trannie.

car-parts.com has been recommended to me on the mud forum.

something that i have not figured out is what to do with the old engine. i imagine that it has value to somebody.

something that i have not figured out is what to do with the old engine. i imagine that it has value to somebody.
    You might have to trade it in as "core charge"

Ha, core charge. Make a coffee table out of it.

For reference, and adding no value to the discussion whatsoever, when I did a swap on the transmission in my old 3fe powered 80 series cruiser, transmission was $300 from a pretty well reputed fellow on mud. Shipping was $100. My recent transmission swap on the BMW, an 87k mile transmission from an 02 M5 was $725, and $125 shipping, for 850 total to my door. That guy was a known m5 part out guy. Buys wrecked m5, sells the parts. We gotta find that guy in the 100 series world for both you guys. There are part out threads in the mud classifieds.

sigless.

Found an 02 with <150k miles, no rust, full service records. Price negotiated, just need to pull the trigger. Drives well, will need minor fixes only. Am I dumb to be hung up on integrated thermostat/nav unit, which seems almost impossible to replace? Ideal for me given that was either an 01 (pre-nav) or something newer (06+) with less outdated tech.