Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast
    I'm interested in the Tundra Wheels. Could be just what I'm looking for.
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't
    help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...

Quote Originally Posted by G. Gordon Liddy View Post
    Yep. Stock. Ask him and see if it makes sense. Thanks!
    As for tires it seems the KO2 seem popular. Looking for something to bomb Trail Creek/Copper Basin 15+ times a year with some ski trips in the winter.
    Don’t skimp on tires - that road is notorious. That’s a lot of trips to copper basin?! Fish guide? My buddy has a cabin up there and I don’t think they make it up there that often when trail creek is open. Beautiful though

Quote Originally Posted by G. Gordon Liddy View Post
    I'm interested in the Tundra Wheels. Could be just what I'm looking for.
    Ok, I'll send some pics.

They've been sitting behind the shed for years so I'll dust em off in the next couple days.

Congrats on the LX! I have K02s on my 06 LX and they are great in the summer off-road but pretty much suck in the CO winter. I have Toyo AT3s on my 11 LR4 and all-around I like them better. Quieter ride, more stable in snow, but I haven’t tried them on anything burly off pavement. Considering Wildpeaks for the next set on the LX.

Are you all running e rate tires? I’m currently replacing my copper atw tires on my 100-series. They’re c rate (116 load index). I was planning to replace with the wildpeak, which are also 116 load index.

I’m unimpressed with the cooper tires. Great for year one. Growing disappointment each following year of use. Fully tore off some tread blocks.

+1 for Wildpeaks. After about 2k miles on my Tundra, I’m very happy with their performance. Coming off Nittos.
    A week in Bozeman in -10 degrees for a week on ice and snow made me a believer.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Had my 80 in for birf and wheel bearing service. Most expensive service I've ever paid for. $2k in labor and $1k in parts. WTF did I get into? I thought German cars were expensive. My Audi Q5 is laughing right now that the old slow Toyota cost so much.

...yes I could have done the service myself with a few new tools, but it is constantly snowing and my next window for full weekend repair opportunity is months out.

Seems like the UJoints or driveshaft is making noise. I'm gonna tackle that one myself.

Birfs are a filthy, time consuming, filthy, greasy, filthy, oily PITA. But 3k is a lot. I can do them with wheel bearings for about $1600 on average.
    You won't have to worry about them again for 10 years if done right.

Quote Originally Posted by skivan View Post
    Don’t skimp on tires - that road is notorious. That’s a lot of trips to copper basin?! Fish guide? My buddy has a cabin up there and I don’t think they make it up there that often when trail creek is open. Beautiful though
    Liddy has a sweet cabin out Copper. Considering there are like 10 cabins up there in total, you guys might already know each other!
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

94 LC showed up at the pull and pay. Long drive but a good pick of some needed spares and replacement parts. Charcoal canister being one. Damn hard to find

I'm sure this has been asked before and that I didn't go back far enough to find the answer..
    How has the AHC treated you over the years/miles in the 100 series? Especially those who live in areas where they salt the roads?
    Have a 3rd gen 4runner right now, but looking to get in a "low mileage" 100 series LC/LX.. upon further research it seems the biggest thing is the AHC will eventually fail (sometimes due to rusted AHC hoses) and you'll have to do an AHC delete and install conventional suspension unless you want to continue to deal with AHC once it starts to have problems. How has yours held up and anything else out of the ordinary I should be looking out for?

I replaced mine on my GX a year or two ago. Its a super easy job and while I feel bumps a little more now the car is less floaty overall so my wife doesn't complain about car sickness. They seem to all fail in the 100-150k window regardless.

9/10 would recommend.
    Live Free or Die

Even low mileage LC can have rusted out frames

80 series land cruiser futures

135k on my 07 GX - original AHC.

I don’t see the benefit of it… when it goes I’ll be replacing it with whatever oem 4R or FJ stuff people swap it with…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

LX AHC (four-corner hydraulic) and GX AHC (rear-only air) are entirely different systems.

When I was shopping a used 100-series, I was considering the cost of replacing the ahc if it was still installed. I got a ballpark on the cost be calling some indie shops. A common question from the shops was whether I’d also want to lift the truck while I was at it.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I replaced mine on my GX a year or two ago. Its a super easy job and while I feel bumps a little more now the car is less floaty overall so my wife doesn't complain about car sickness. They seem to all fail in the 100-150k window regardless.
    Did you just replace the rear on the GX? I thought the AHC was the same on the LX and the GX, but Mazderati says otherwise..
    I watched a youtube video on the LX AHC delete the other day and it didn't seem too terrible..

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Even low mileage LC can have rusted out frames
    Yeah I understand rust isn't dependent on mileage, just looking for one with "relatively" low miles in the assumption it hasn't taken as much abuse..

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    LX AHC (four-corner hydraulic) and GX AHC (rear-only air) are entirely different systems.
    I did not know this. Thought the GX had the same system as the LX.. I wouldn't be opposed to a GX

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    When I was shopping a used 100-series, I was considering the cost of replacing the ahc if it was still installed. I got a ballpark on the cost be calling some indie shops. A common question from the shops was whether I’d also want to lift the truck while I was at it.
    This is what I am considering as well if it still has the AHC.. factor in the price of a conventional suspension kit once the AHC goes. I hear many different answers on the cost of maintaining/fixing AHC.. I've read it's as simple as making sure there is adequate fluid in the hydraulic system or that you need to replace an actuator every so often.

AHC on my 06 LX is still riding well at 206k miles. All original equipment. I replaced AHC fluid at 202k miles. As far as I could tell from service records it had never been done. Florida truck until 2019 at 182k miles. In Colorado since.

ACH on my 2000 LX still fine at 327,000 miles. I make sure to cycle it through the range of settings a few times a week and have flushed the fluid every 60,000. ACH also allows the easy “sensor lift” by just adjusting the sensors.

Quote Originally Posted by ski-wpk View Post
    AHC on my 06 LX is still riding well at 206k miles. All original equipment. I replaced AHC fluid at 202k miles. As far as I could tell from service records it had never been done. Florida truck until 2019 at 182k miles. In Colorado since.
    Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    ACH on my 2000 LX still fine at 327,000 miles. I make sure to cycle it through the range of settings a few times a week and have flushed the fluid every 60,000. ACH also allows the easy “sensor lift” by just adjusting the sensors.
    This is what I like to hear!

Is there a year of the 100 series I should avoid? It would be nice to have a 2003+ to get the 5 speed, and if I can find it a 06/07 to get the VVTi.. I don't need the extra horse power and would prefer reliability if the VVTi are a little less reliable than the 4.7V8 without..

1998-2001 can have transmission problems

Quote Originally Posted by TAFKALVS View Post
    1998-2001 can have transmission problems
    Care to elaborate? The a343f transmission has been used in several different Toyota truck models, 80 series cruiser, 100 series cruiser, Lexus LX450/470. If i was looking at a truck with this transmission, I'd look for records that the fluid has been changed, and if it shifted ok, I'd be done worrying about it.
    sigless.

I saw this recently and it reminded me of how much I want one. My old 55s were great and this would be even better especially with the 5 speed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220408_233126775.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	414960

That could be a 60 or 62 series, neither came with a 5 speed.

60: 2f carbed engine I6, 4 speed MT
    62: 3fe fuel injected I6, 4 speed AT

You can put a 5 speed on either one with some $

My 60 series was a pig with the original straight 6 and the 4 speed
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.