Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Cruisers aren't really that big at all. Do you have any seat time in them?

Congrats, BTW! Steauxed for you.
    Yeah. Sat in one and a Sequoia yesterday. I like the Sequoia plenty, just a bit concerned that the fabled Toyota reliability has slipped a bit for the non-Land Cruiser SUVs. I want something reliable that will last a long time, has good off road capabilities and can carry the kids, gear, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Id get a 200 over a 100 every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    the mrs. drives a 2017. Not big enough for what we need. We have two little kids, a third on the way, all of our gear and live at the top of an unpaved steep, icy and muddy hill.
    Here's a nice one in Seattle. https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/c...437022793.html

Also if you do want a 200, but don't have aspirations to "build it", the Lexus lx570 is about 20 - 30% cheaper used, however my understanding is there is very little in the way of off-road parts for them and unlike previous versions of the LX, they are not carbon copies of the land cruiser with Lexus badges.

the mrs. drives a 2017. Not big enough for what we need. We have two little kids, a third on the way, all of our gear and live at the top of an unpaved steep, icy and muddy hill.
    Congrats on the new one!

What you really want is an AWD Sienna.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Congrats on the new one!

What you really want is an AWD Sienna.
    I was also just thinking this. There's one parked outside my door, and put it together with this thread.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

80 series land cruiser futures

This seems useful: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/mod...-lx570.838182/

Sequoia is larger than LC's. Even the 4 door Tacoma has a longer wheelbase than an LC.

Another vote for sienna (or highlander) AWD.

Something else to consider is the ride quality in the third row, being different suspension types and likely tire choices.

Get an AWD Sienna. You’ll hate it the first few weeks, then you’ll have a moment of clarity and spend the rest of your days wondering why so many people get SUVs as family vehicles.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

^^This. BUT make sure you have a fun car for the (very) few moments you and your wife get to spend together without the little ones. Strictly SUV and minivan time is no good...

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Get an AWD Sienna. You’ll hate it the first few weeks, then you’ll have a moment of clarity and spend the rest of your days wondering why so many people get SUVs as family vehicles.
    We spend a lot of time with families with three kids that have successfully avoided minivans. I plan to do the same.

We spend a lot of time with families with three kids that have successfully avoided minivans. I plan to do the same.
    You also telemark skied at one point.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    You also telemark skied at one point.
    Not really. Pretty much just made parallel turns in tele gear. Pretty stupid, eh?

Why would one not want a minivan? Is it a dentist or attorney thing?

The V8 Toyota drive trains are every bit as bomber as they always have been but the latest Sequoias look like a minivan on a truck chassis

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Why would one not want a minivan? Is it a dentist or attorney thing?
    I don’t get the hate either. I had an ‘87 Toyota van and a ‘91 AWD Previa; they both rocked for camping, hauling, etc. More versatile than a pickup too, unless you need to haul 4x8 plywood or Sheetrock.

My sienna carries 4x8 plywood no problem. I've also hauled sand and firewood in it. I think the stock payload rating is pretty high.

We own a LC because we like to explore in areas where the van does not do too well. I would have been happy with a sequoia, too. We got a 100-series over the 80-series because the jump seats are forward facing. We did not get a GX because of space and there's not much head room with the jump seats.

Look, minivans have their place. But this is the 80 series thread. If you are considering a minivan, the 80 is not the vehicle for you.
    But if you are stuck in the snow in your minivan, an 80 series can pull you out.

Also 80 series third row faces forward.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Look, minivans have their place. But this is the 80 series thread.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    We got a 100-series over the 80-series because the jump seats are forward facing

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Also 80 series third row faces forward.
    Damn. So much for good research back then :smirk:

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

Just mounting up bumpers that I painted today on my ongoing project 80. Test fitting the front flare. I thought it would be cool to paint oem metallic green but make the fender flares match the bumpers. Here is a shitty test fit. 95 cruiser...

Last edited by basinbeater; 01-07-2018 at 11:49 PM.
    sigless.

Yeah. Sat in one and a Sequoia yesterday. I like the Sequoia plenty, just a bit concerned that the fabled Toyota reliability has slipped a bit for the non-Land Cruiser SUVs. I want something reliable that will last a long time, has good off road capabilities and can carry the kids, gear, etc.
    Fwiw I have ~160k miles on my 2010 sequoia platinum (gen 2 I guess?) and it still runs like new. Interior has fared well too. Not sure about the gen 3, but don’t think hey made too many changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Fwiw I have ~160k miles on my 2010 sequoia platinum (gen 2 I guess?) and it still runs like new. Interior has fared well too. Not sure about the gen 3, but don’t think hey made too many changes.
    There is no Gen3. The sequoia has remained unchanged since its redesign in 2007/2008 or so. Same engine same transmission same interior for a decade at least.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    There is no Gen3. The sequoia has remained unchanged since its redesign in 2007/2008 or so. Same engine same transmission same interior for a decade at least.
    ^^^^^this. it gets shit canned in the car press bc they haven't really updated anything about it in ten years. biggest problem is that they just don't make many of them.

Yeah I had a really hard time finding one now that I think about it.

^^^^^this. it gets shit canned in the car press bc they haven't really updated anything about it in ten years. biggest problem is that they just don't make many of them.
    Same problem with the 200 series Land Cruiser. Used market is going to be pretty damn tough in 10 years.

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...-land-cruiser/

I drove a 5.7 sequoia and seemed like a nice rig. The length of the hood is short like a van which means more interior space, but harder to work on. The fan belt is buried beneath a ton of stuff. Not that RT will worry about that
    Kidding Congrats on the kids dude. It looks like a good people mover, the bed height is a fair bit taller than a truck though, which saps up a lot of interior room for cargo payload. Turrning radius seemed nice and sharp. the one I looked at was 2008 80k miles $19,000