Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Duratracs.

Studs would have helped, but even the guys with Blizzaks were commenting on how gnarly it was this morning.

Not stopping would have been fine, but I'm either too stupid or too nice to leave people on the side of the road at that hour.

Whats the consensus of the GX470 like an 08 or 09. My earlier posts had me bringing an 03 regular cab taco up from the dead. i love owning it for farting around/hunting season, buts its a glorified polaris ranger at speeds above 50 or so. I use it on the farm and for general duties, but to be honest I have the 17 superduty for real towing duties and pick up use.
    I had a friend in colorado pick up a gx470 and while I know its a 4runner in a suit jacket, I see plenty for sale around me for mid teens with maybe 100-125k miles. Most look like former MILF mobiles.
    Are there lifts, were there packages I should look out for. I'm thinking I could use it more as a daily driver and not worry about trashing it either. Plus the added benefit of covered area for gear, guns etc. I had the 4.7 in a sequoia which I wish I never sold and an 03 4runner which I wish I never sold either.
    Are they stout rigs, poser mobiles. Stick with same vintage cruiser and be done with it.

wow. Ok defies my thoughts of a mall crawler for sure

I bought 2006 GX470 off craigslist last year, it's been great. Haven't done anything to it but change the oil and replace a worn out key cylinder. $14k for 130,000 miles. We test drove a few and they ALL had the same story: it's my wife's car, never been off road, never towed, only selling for a brand new one. Different story than most used Tacos or 4runners!

It drives like a dream, cheaper than similar 4runners and way nicer. The high roof is nice for the platform bed I built in the back. Wife, dog and I camped in the back on our week long 1st anniversary trip to Park City and Tahoe. Air bags in the rear still work well and I play with them pretty often. Came with nearly new generic AT tires that have been good so far. My dream is a lift and bigger tires in the future, but as is, it drives great. The navigation system is so outdated now by google maps on cellphones. The climate control is run through the same touch screen, which sucks. But heated leather seats, sunroof and upgraded speakers make up for it. I do feel like an asshole for driving a Lexus, but the car's got chops and will probably run for another 200k. Before I bought it, called 3 different mechanics and dealerships. They all said that it's 90% Toyota, just don't bust up body panels and maintenance costs will be non-existent.

The GX is another land cruiser, aka land cruiser Prada in most of the world. The overland guy ("4xoverland") from South Africa (and now Perth) claims that they are the closest new Toyota available in the US that follows along the 80-series lineage.

The GX is a hybrid of a Landcruiser (Prado elsewhere) and a V8 4Runner in the states. Other than if we could import newer 70 series, nothing really follows the 80 series lineage. All the newer stuff here is a softer version of the LCs. '97 is the last year of full floater rear, sold front axles. Don't get me wrong, I've considered selling my 80 and buying a 100 series many times. Pretty much any LC will outperform their domestic counterparts off the beaten path. GX's are often overlooked and are nicer than same year 4Runners in a lot of ways but "cool" dudes don't want to be seen driving a Lexus. My 80 is a Lexus but it's all just badging with an 80 series bones. Plus, the Lexus's are usually dealer serviced, perfect maintenance, mall runners owned by wealthy soccer moms. And if it was dealer serviced, any Lexus dealer can print off all service records for you with a vin #. I would absolutely consider a GX. Save a few parts, Lexus parts are actual Toyota parts in a different box that costs you 20% more.

If you want to spend some coin, this one is for sale:

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...s-GX470-V8-4WD

Gx and 4runner are nice, but the land cruiser and Lexus lx have more space and more tough. Even the 100 series. If only you knew of a good deal on a 100 series.... Hmmm...
    Ahem....
    2002 Lexus LX 470 http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/4362369

But yeah, in the US nothing really compares to the 80 series. Get one while you can.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Gx and 4runner are nice, but the land cruiser and Lexus lx have more space and more tough. Even the 100 series. If only you knew of a good deal on a 100 series.... Hmmm...
    Ahem....
    2002 Lexus LX 470 http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/4362369

But yeah, in the US nothing really compares to the 80 series. Get one while you can.
    For the amount of money I’ve spent on 4x4 rentals at Slc, I could purchase and leave it out it Utah. Just how reliable is this fine machine?

I haven't had it that long but after changing the timing belt, water pump, we have put a couple thousand miles on it, and it has been uneventful. Just runs. Ready to drive cross country tomorrow. If you do a little research on used ones, there are tons of them out there with 250k on them, and many with 300k+. To say they are reliable would be an understatement.
    sigless.

My 1999 100-series has a hair under 235k. Bought it with about 215k. It was in great baseline shape. Had some standard known issues like the metal in ignition column fail, soiliniod for a window switch fail (not dealing with atm), coil pack fail, and the rack is starting to leak. The ignition column failure kinda sucked, but i was luckily in a place that was cool to park at and was walking distance from home. It's not a daily driver, but is a pleasure to drive. We're hoping to be driving it for a long time.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

Damn you guys have me really considering getting rid of my 00 tundra and finding a nice 80 series. It would compliment the wives geared, locked,and armored 4runner. I just have a real hard time losing the bed (gear and sleeping). Been seeing a lot of the Lexus rolling around Bozeman so word is definitely out around here. Hell we bought the 4runner from Cali because of the ridiculous Toyota tax around here.

Here is my old one, sold to my buddy so now we can go adventurin together. His element didn't cut it.
    sigless.

So is the GX the same size as the Sequoia? We are in the mkt for a fullsize SUV with a third row and just deciding between a Sequoia, Land Cruiser or their Lexus bretheren. Will buy used and willing to look nationwide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

I like the 460s

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    So is the GX the same size as the Sequoia? We are in the mkt for a fullsize SUV with a third row and just deciding between a Sequoia, Land Cruiser or their Lexus bretheren. Will buy used and willing to look nationwide.
    Gx is the same size as a 4runner

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Gx is the same size as a 4runner
    Thanks. So it really then comes down to a Sequoia, Land Cruiser or LX.

Nope. The LX570 is the LC equivalent, and the largest Lexus SUV.

GX460 is the same size as a 4Runner. The GX470 is a little bigger and based on a different chassis I believe.

Sequoia is basically the SUV version of a Tundra truck.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Thanks. So is there a Lexus version of the Sequoia?
    No. If I were you I'd go buy the newest lx470 or 100 series Land Cruiser you can find.

This one might not be the cleanest one out there, but it's one of them.

https://www.sonicautomotive.com/used/LEXUS/2007-LEXUS-LX+470-9ec45e5f0a0e0a17043df2c2b6c66ca2.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    This one might not be the cleanest one out there, but it's one of them.

https://www.sonicautomotive.com/used/LEXUS/2007-LEXUS-LX+470-9ec45e5f0a0e0a17043df2c2b6c66ca2.htm
    I know that everybody thinks the 100 is a better than the 200s, but what if I was willing to spend a bit more for a newer car with lower mileage?

Was in one of these recently, and it was ridiculously roomy and tech. Over the top really:

https://www.volvocars.com/us/cars/new-models/xc90
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I know that everybody thinks the 100 is a better than the 200s, but what if I was willing to spend a bit more for a newer car with lower mileage?
    Id get a 200 over a 100 every time.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Was in one of these recently, and it was ridiculously roomy and tech. Over the top really:

https://www.volvocars.com/us/cars/new-models/xc90
    the mrs. drives a 2017. Not big enough for what we need. We have two little kids, a third on the way, all of our gear and live at the top of an unpaved steep, icy and muddy hill.

Cruisers aren't really that big at all. Do you have any seat time in them?

Congrats, BTW! Steauxed for you.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague