Page 29 of 45 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    What does it cost to replace the air suspension in the GX470 with conventional?

OME 3" lift is like a grand. There are a couple other parts youll need for the spring conversion that run like 100 bucks. You can run 285's on FJ Cruiser wheels with no spacers.

So 2k all in for parts and new kicks, tack on another grand (at most) if you want someone else to install.

I priced out just doing a spring conversion and you only save a couple hundred. Might as well lift the bitch.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Who here wants to break cover and talk about their 200 ownership experience.
    I went from a 100 to a 200 this year, both LX's. A 2001 and a 2011. I was planning on keeping the 100 forever and wasn't ever shopping for a 200, but an unbeatable deal fell in my lap so I jumped on it.

The 200 is better in basically every way. Having coils in the front vs the torsion bars of the 100 makes it way smoother on and off road plus way more travel. The 3UR is a big step into the 21st century from the 2UZ. Having six gears is a big upgrade too. Fuel economy is better in the 200 vs the 100, but that also depends what kind of speeds you see on the highway. There are only a couple issues with the UR series to look out for - coolant leak in the intake valley and oil leak at cam towers. Mine has neither and I can't find any record of a repair, so I keep an eye out.

It's comfortable but drives like a body-on-frame SUV for sure, especially since I have load range E tires on mine. It feels big but plenty manageable. Visibility out the back isn't as good as a 100, but between the rear window, mirrors, and backup camera I never feel like I'm backing up blind.

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    I did but the answers come quicker and easier to understand here.

Salvage, buy back, then resell as-is for $5-6k and call it done.

80 series land cruiser futures

“The truck you see here is the greatest sport-utility vehicle ever made. I am not talking about Toyotas in general, or even Land Cruisers in particular. I am talking about this Toyota Land Cruiser, which I just built for my wife. Allow me to explain. “

https://www.outsideonline.com/241612...0T4qAWcI#close

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post

“The truck you see here is the greatest sport-utility vehicle ever made. I am not talking about Toyotas in general, or even Land Cruisers in particular. I am talking about this Toyota Land Cruiser, which I just built for my wife. Allow me to explain. “

https://www.outsideonline.com/241612...0T4qAWcI#close
    I’ll summarize that article for y’all quick. Dude buys a $100k vehicle, says he built it but really paid others to do it and figure it out, for the stuff he decided on picked the only rear bumper that actually decreases departure angle and bought the wrong wheels, a mag is mentioned, he justifies the emissions like any good outside writer would, and his wife isn’t wearing a bra in the last pic. Scroll to the end.

It is a sweet vehicle though.

The tone of that article is really odd. He's not an expert reporting on how to do things right, he's reporting on what he found out after googling what to do, then wrote about it. It's like a really long stale forum post on his build but without the personality and connection of a professional writer.

And I don't get the impression he actually needs a vehicle that can go anywhere for one, he just likes the idea of it and looking good. It's also odd he built this for his wife, who is never involved in the build but just has a pic at the end with no bra. And is in the passenger seat instead of driving in another pic, why isn't she driving it or caring about it? Again, just an oddly disconnected written story.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    And is in the passenger seat instead of driving in another pic, why isn't she driving it or caring about it?

My almost wife is in the passenger seat of the 80 I built for me most of the time if she even goes on the trips. I guarantee she gives no fucks about what I've done to it and really just likes car camping in cool places...sorry...overlanding. She also wears and does not wear a bra.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6563.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	344000

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I’ll summarize that article for y’all quick. Dude buys a $100k vehicle, says he built it but really paid others to do it and figure it out, for the stuff he decided on picked the only rear bumper that actually decreases departure angle and bought the wrong wheels, a mag is mentioned, he justifies the emissions like any good outside writer would, and his wife isn’t wearing a bra in the last pic. Scroll to the end.

It is a sweet vehicle though.
    The tone of that article is really odd. He's not an expert reporting on how to do things right, he's reporting on what he found out after googling what to do, then wrote about it. It's like a really long stale forum post on his build but without the personality and connection of a professional writer.

And I don't get the impression he actually needs a vehicle that can go anywhere for one, he just likes the idea of it and looking good. It's also odd he built this for his wife, who is never involved in the build but just has a pic at the end with no bra. And is in the passenger seat instead of driving in another pic, why isn't she driving it or caring about it? Again, just an oddly disconnected written story.
    Wes Siler is a turstafarian douche that invaded Bozeman. That article is trash.

My almost wife is in the passenger seat of the 80 I built for me most of the time if she even goes on the trips. I guarantee she gives no fucks about what I've done to it and really just likes car camping in cool places...sorry...overlanding. She also wears and does not wear a bra.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6563.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	344000
    I think you are missing my point, unless you are saying that's her 80 that you built up and drive for yourself, which again is really bizarre. I bet that's yer vehicle though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Wes Siler is a turstafarian douche that invaded Bozeman. That article is trash.
    There's no way I'm gonna read an article that long about a brand new vehicle, but they did have this guy on the Go Fast Campers podcast (I drive a lot by myself). At one point he told people to cone to the west, go camp on public land, have a fire, and shoot off some fireworks. Of course I was listening to this as I drove through some of the most widespread smoke I've ever seen. Pegged him as a douchenozzle pretty quicj.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    There's no way I'm gonna read an article that long about a brand new vehicle, but they did have this guy on the Go Fast Campers podcast (I drive a lot by myself). At one point he told people to cone to the west, go camp on public land, have a fire, and shoot off some fireworks. Of course I was listening to this as I drove through some of the most widespread smoke I've ever seen. Pegged him as a douchenozzle pretty quicj.
    He paid to build out a 200, tried to rep Montana, name dropped Graeme @ GFC, and probably pays to camp at Koa camp grounds.
    Doesn't sound like he even knows how to change a spare.

Putting 0 offset wheels on and not understanding what that means after someone told him on a forum it'd work.

Also trying to justify emissions of a flight vs driving doesn't make sense, unless you're flying that 747 yourself with no one else on board.

Just a lot of facepalming and I skimmed it.

Quote Originally Posted by pyromaniacman129 View Post
    He paid to build out a 200, tried to rep Montana, name dropped Graeme @ GFC, and probably pays to camp at Koa camp grounds.
    Doesn't sound like he even knows how to change a spare.

Putting 0 offset wheels on and not understanding what that means after someone told him on a forum it'd work.

Also trying to justify emissions of a flight vs driving doesn't make sense, unless you're flying that 747 yourself with no one else on board.

Just a lot of facepalming and I skimmed it.
    Lol I skimmed the environmental impact section and was just thinking dude, just own it. You won't hear me trying to justify the fact that I drive a gas guzzling lifted full size truck everywhere. But its cool actually, cause I hardly ever fly!

I think you are missing my point, unless you are saying that's her 80 that you built up and drive for yourself, which again is really bizarre. I bet that's yer vehicle though.
    I'm totally supporting your point but maybe didn't come across that way. I was just being me and said I personally did a lot of the labor on my vehicle (only farmed out stuff I didn't have the right tools for) and I don't need to say it's for my wife. I built it for me just like I bet the author did for him. Not sure why he can't say that.

If I were that guy, I would have said something like "I wanted this 200 because it's cool, I can afford the car and to pay people to build it, and I don't give a shit what you think about me, my money, or the shitty mileage or emissions." But I'm not that guy that is buying $100k cars on a magazine writer salary.

I mean seriously, who wouldn't want to hear about the greatest suv ever built from a guy who also gives advice on how to layer properly for outdoor dining?

https://www.outsideonline.com/241741...all-and-winter

I'm totally supporting your point but maybe didn't come across that way. I was just being me and said I personally did a lot of the labor on my vehicle (only farmed out stuff I didn't have the right tools for) and I don't need to say it's for my wife. I built it for me just like I bet the author did for him. Not sure why he can't say that.

If I were that guy, I would have said something like "I wanted this 200 because it's cool, I can afford the car and to pay people to build it, and I don't give a shit what you think about me, my money, or the shitty mileage or emissions." But I'm not that guy that is buying $100k cars on a magazine writer salary.

I mean seriously, who wouldn't want to hear about the greatest suv ever built from a guy who also gives advice on how to layer properly for outdoor dining?

https://www.outsideonline.com/241741...all-and-winter
    This is the same dude that lived off his trust fund in Manhattan (I think?), only later to move out to California to live the dream around motorcycles. Then got all outdoorsy and went to work for Gawker, and later it's remains, then Ouside - all the while putting himself forth as an expert. Once I learned he landed with Outside <vomit> and was in Bozeman, that was it. No more.

I just scrolled to see the wife. She should probably wear a bra. Too bad, I was hoping those babies could save the article.
    Nice looking dogs though, poor bastards.

I saw a land cruiser with an ecoboost badge the other day, is that a common setup?

Doubt it but that 3.5 twin turbo would be sweet in one. 385 hp out of an engine a lot light than the stock 4.5 would be rad.

Prior owner on mine put a hybrid badge on mine. I never took it off as when people ask me if it’s really a hybrid I know how much energy I need to put into the conversation.

Name:  122069755_10112366771931760_8115772960620474643_n.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  46.2 KB
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Saved to phone for sharing.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

I didn't really know who this guy was until recently, but it didn't take much effort to see that he's basically a golem made from the worst aspects of Bozeman.

I’m just glad that giant douche moved to bozeman and not Jackson
    Tried to check out the article but holy moly TLDR is an understatement.
    They also must have gotten backlash bc there is no longer a wife pic at the end. doh!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    skid luxury

And for the record the hardcore outdoorsman was wearing a tux with high water pants, no socks, and loafers in that pic.