Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Can this thread drift back to minivans, please, because my automatic sliding door just stopped working....

Kidding....

I keep seeing a beautifully armored 80 around town. It looks brand new, every time I see it. It's always spotless. It's amazing. I figure that it's gotta drive on some dirt. There are mud/dirt/gravel roads everywhere.

This might be worth looking into.

https://eastidaho.craigslist.org/cto...450273585.html

Rebuilt title but who cares, as long as it tracks straight. I got a hunch it has a ton of miles.
    sigless.

I just picked up a couple fender flares from a dude in west Jordan (what a bad place to go around rush hour.) and he had a badass lookin rig that was rebuilt title, high miles, thing looked great. I should have taken a pic for the boys.
    sigless.

Sold my 80 a year ago for $3,500. It was in pretty cherry condition (no lockers though), but given the high price of gas and taxes in CA, I was tired of the poor fuel economy...and then the head gasket started to go and I didn't feel like fixing it. Or overhauling the front axle for a third time. Friend of a friend was thrilled to get it for that price, and directed his new 80 enthusiasm in rebuilding the engine. He later tricked it out with a lift/tires and a bunch of overland stuff, and sold it for $17k. Good for him, gotta say I'm real happy with the 3rd gen 4Runner I have now. Yeah it's no beast like the 80, but it's a sports car by comparison and gets 15 around town and almost 20mpg on the freeway. Big improvement over 10/15.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    There is no Gen3. The sequoia has remained unchanged since its redesign in 2007/2008 or so. Same engine same transmission same interior for a decade at least.
    Yeah, you can pick up a low mileage 2008-2012 for cheap yet it looks identical to a 2018. Not sure why anyone would take the massive deprecation hit by buying a brand new one ($65k+) before the next redesign. Great alternative to a minivan. Perfect size for 3 kids (as long as it's not the plat version), dog and gear (we also have a rocket box).

BasinBeater, is your 2002 still for sale? I am so tempted by one of these vehicles, but it would be hard to give up a 2016. However, that 2002 looks like it's in nice shape.

Yes sir.
    sigless.

when i do relatively quick searches online, i see 80-series in my area (western sierra) selling for less then $5k or more than $15k. some of the $5k ones look stock and have less than 200k miles. what's the chance that they are in pretty good baseline condition at that price? the ones for over $15k are all built. i'm looking for a friend who just had their truck totaled by a deer.

Imo it really depends on what you are looking to do with the vehicle. If you have any plans on building it then finding a built one in good shape then you're probably going to come out better then building it yourself. Aftermarket armor etc is spendy and sometimes you can benefit from someone who already has it and isn't going to be able to necessarily recoup that cost in a sale. However if you are mechanically inclined you can come out pretty good with some of the cheaper "deals". I was always a build/maintain it myself guy but it really comes down to time energy etc.

And I think someone posted a link before but slee off-road and ih8mud have tons of good info for what typical issues are.

Many of the inexpensive ones have a lot of deferred maintenance. Front axles need to be rebuilt, or head gasket issues, interior can be crap, and paint is often bad on cheap ones. All stuff that can be fixed, but if I was less than mechanically inclined, I would stay away from one with engine trouble.
    Armor is expensive, and also hard to come by used unless on a truck that is for sale.
    But yeah, what do you want to use it for? For an occasional driver that can take the family to remote places, they are tough to beat. There are better rock crawling platforms out there, but people certainly build them for that too. Mildly built ones can fetch decent money, heavily modified ones tend to suffer price wise.
    sigless.

Thanks for the input!

Rebuilding the front axle is annoying.

Yeah, messy.
    sigless.

Anybody shopping in Utah? VIN lookup indicates factory lockers on this 40th https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/4346234?ad_cid=4

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Anybody shopping in Utah? VIN lookup indicates factory lockers on this 40th https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/4346234?ad_cid=4
    I'm dreaming but seems.like a decent price if the regular maintenance has been done as mentioned above. There is a pic with the diff lock switch so VIN search seems correct.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Ignored that ad due to the fender rust in the second picture initially. Sounds like it could be a good deal though.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Ignored that ad due to the fender rust in the second picture initially. Sounds like it could be a good deal though.
    That's not a horrible amount of rust. Seems pretty easily mitigated then paint her with rhino lining/linex

My leather tundra seat split in that same spot. Costco sheepskin seat cover to rescue

When i click that link, I see a 1999 100 series. I bought my 1999 100-series in 2015 with same miles. paid more. What I bought was stock and very well maintained. At that time, rust free and well maintained stock rigs of that vintage were in the $10k range.

80 series land cruiser futures

I must have pasted the wrong link. But there was a 40th that has since been sold, no surprise. I think it was listed for $7k. (Here’s the dead link I sent to my brother. https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/4325661?ad_cid=23)

Not a bad looking 99, really clean Interior. My kids would love to ruin it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Fiedler View Post
    That cost is low enough that I'd be curious about some of the typical maintenance stuff:
    status of TB/water pump, front rack, control arms, wheel bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    That's not a horrible amount of rust. Seems pretty easily mitigated then paint her with rhino lining/linex

My leather tundra seat split in that same spot. Costco sheepskin seat cover to rescue

I should clarify, the first time I read the text of the ad was yesterday. Before I simply looked at that pic and assumed the whole rig was a rust bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn Felman View Post
    Your kids would probably love to let you fill the gas tank too.

Are we allowed to talk about 100 series in here? Because I'm about to grab a minty LX.

Educate me...
    Locker Options? Just want a rear i think... but 3x locked is cool.
    Front Bumpers?
    Thinking 2" lift and 275/70r18.. stock gears gonna be okay on passes? keep or ditch the AHC? Prior owner (a mag on here) had the AHC fully flushed/serviced by the Lexus stealership. Can you lift and retain the AHC?

Basically will mostly be a highway driver but my road/driveway gets gnarly in the winter. Have had to lock our 80s a couple times already this year to make it up the road when it hasn't been plowed. Steep gravel with a couple tight corners that kill your momentum. Sold the wifes locked 80 to Kopi_red, basically want the same capability in a 100 with better highway manners.