Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

80 series land cruiser futures

Anyone else notice how expensive these things are getting? FZJ80's specifically. A decent one with under 200k is pushing ten grand. Moderately built ones with recovered seats and good paint are like 15k plus. Are they on the rise?

Most SUVs now are unibody front wheel drive cars with AWD thrown in. Anything older with a frame and 4WD will keep going up in value.

Quote Originally Posted by single View Post
    Anyone else notice how expensive these things are getting? FZJ80's specifically. A decent one with under 200k is pushing ten grand.
    "Pushing ten grand!?" I paid north of that for my little boo-boo back in late November (posted a pic in some thread or another here). Of course, that was in Kalifornia, where prices tend to be higher. Anywho, few thousand dollars of necessary repairs/work, and the bitch drives beautifully. Very happy.

My other option was to have bought a new (full-sized) Taco for over $30K.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

They've been steadily increasing for ten years. 100s are all but impossible to find with decent miles, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post

My other option was to have bought a new (full-sized) Taco for over $30K.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    I bought one new in 2014 and it worth in the mid 20's resale value
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Anyone else notice how expensive these things are getting? FZJ80's specifically. A decent one with under 200k is pushing ten grand. Moderately built ones with recovered seats and good paint are like 15k plus. Are they on the rise?
    They are fairly cheap here in Washington still - around $5000 for something pretty decent. Just saw a built LX450 with ARB bumpers, triple locker, Slee Lift, 35s", Roof Rack, under 200k for $7000. Passed on a beater for around $2500.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    They've been steadily increasing for ten years. 100s are all but impossible to find with decent miles, too.
    Lots of 98-02 100 series and lx470s for around $9000 around here with around 100k miles.

The 80s are burly, but in my opinion fairly high maintenance. The front axle has a lot failure points. And the parts are never in stock at my local auto parts stores. A front axle is big greasy job. See my "Leavenworth Skier Is...." thread

I have an 80, and it is pretty easy to maintain. Go through the cooling system (phh), reseal front end of engine, rebuild front axle, takes a couple hours per side, and yeah its messy, but it's pretty easy. Put some new springs and shock on it, change the fluids and you are good to go. Mine has 163k on it, I paid $5k for it and it had 148k on it when I bought it. There are still good deals out there but they are getting tougher to find. My wife's boss just bought a built one, and I am sure paid a premium for one with 220k on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app
    sigless.

An LX450/470 is the buy to make. For some stupid but amazing reason they are slightly cheaper than the Toyota version and most likely only used as a grocery getter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

^^^true.

sigless.

With this crazy little market thing and the popularity of those Brazilian 70-series-ish. Maybe Toyota will come out with some 70-series trucks in North America or maybe the 105-series.... or maybe both. Wishful thinking?

When we bought our 100-series, good maintenance, zero to minimal abuse, and no rust within our price range were priority. We turned down a few lx470's because they were in the range for the air suspension to fail and cost for new suspension made them out of budget.

A friend has an lx450 that he still gets dealer serviced. The shop crew are supposedly pretty excited to see it and work on it because his rig often leaves the payment.

I want a FJ60. Simple, tough, 4 spd, manual locking hubs and simple. You can keep everything newer.

I've been looking for a 100 series lx470/Land cruiser for a few months now. I haven't found one that checks the boxes (full service records, low(ish) miles) within justifiable driving distance, but work is slowing down so I should have more to look. IMO the Land Cruiser looks much nicer than the lx470 but the lx470's prices are lower so that makes them more attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I want a FJ60. Simple, tough, 4 spd, manual locking hubs and simple. You can keep everything newer.
    Staying in the car to put it in 4wd: how bourgeois.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    They are fairly cheap here in Washington still - around $5000 for something pretty decent. Just saw a built LX450 with ARB bumpers, triple locker, Slee Lift, 35s", Roof Rack, under 200k for $7000. Passed on a beater for around $2500.
    Maybe this should turn into the good deals on 80's/100's thread. That LX sounds silly cheap, but was it that rhinolined one on expo down in flag?

Yesterday. Coming down off Boulder mountain outside of Torrey UT...

sigless.

80 series land cruiser futures

20k in mn for a defender

Better rides for 20k

Tacoma?
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Sonata.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

F150 by ford
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    nice. boulder mtn is one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post

Was this picture taken as one of those 'look at mah articulation man' pics or was that the line choice? Whoever the driver was picked a shitty line from looking at the picture. Looks posed to me.

This has single's name written all over it: https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/6201124469.html

Ready for an LS or Cummins swap.

Maybe this should turn into the good deals on 80's/100's thread. That LX sounds silly cheap, but was it that rhinolined one on expo down in flag?
    Nope, just the local Criagslist, went in about 3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    I've been looking for a 100 series lx470/Land cruiser for a few months now. I haven't found one that checks the boxes (full service records, low(ish) miles) within justifiable driving distance, but work is slowing down so I should have more to look. IMO the Land Cruiser looks much nicer than the lx470 but the lx470's prices are lower so that makes them more attractive.
    I haven't noticed a big price difference between the two, and depending on the age you might be buying something that potentially could have the active suspension go out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    An LX450/470 is the buy to make. For some stupid but amazing reason they are slightly cheaper than the Toyota version and most likely only used as a grocery getter.
    Agreed, although lately I've been seeing good deals on the UZJ100s also.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Was this picture taken as one of those 'look at mah articulation man' pics or was that the line choice? Whoever the driver was picked a shitty line from looking at the picture. Looks posed to me.
    Looking at people's lines without seeing the bigger picture isn't the easiest thing to do. I don't think it's that terrible nor do I think it's good because we don't know anything about the situation...dude doesn't have sliders so he might be swinging wide to miss the rocks in the foreground. We don't know what the rocks under his rear axle look like. We don't know if he had to do a multipoint turn to get his angle right for the next move-maybe he stopped and is now going to back up. Maybe the move above put him in that spot and he's now correcting it. Maybe the rock under his front pass tire would crush his pumpkin and he couldn't fit to the inside because of width or the prior move. I'm not sure what line I'd pick because I've never been there but I wouldn't call this guy a shitty driver because of one pic.

Just posting to say that I am still a bit bitter my mom donated her perfectly good 1986 FJ60 to charity. That thing was mint and could have been fixed up real nice.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying