Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    i don't think the 2000 LX470 had ATRAC, and i'm pretty sure that particular LX470 only has center diff lock. we could look at the slee site to verify. when i was shopping, we threw in the cost for us of replacing the air suspension if we bought an LX470 or tlc with air suspension. for us, that changed some of the metrics since we couldn't afford a cash purchase.
    I was wrong. Looks like atrac was rolled out in 2000 model year http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbieUZJ100.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Even then, I doubt my wife needs anything beyond AWD.
    Doesn't she have a Forester?

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Doesn't she have a Forester?
    We're selling it

We're selling it
    you gonna post it up here?

The 100s are nice, but not as tough or unique as the 80s, the later ones basically use 4runner running gear, transmission, engine, (well they put that 4.7 in everything) and had weaker 2 pinion front diff. They also were semi floating axles the 80 is the last of the breed, straight 6, solid front axle, the later ones had full floating rear axles (tough!)
    Not saying the hundreds are bad, they are not, and are more suv than 99% of the people need. But 80s are badass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app
    sigless.

Agree^^^

Toyota still makes similar-ish suvs/trucks to the 80-series. I wish they imported them here. It'd love to be a second owner of one that's gently used.

The new 70 series landcruisers are super expensive for such a basic truck. They changed the front axle width to accommodate the new motor, but left the rear end at the original width. So you have to break trail/mud/sand twice every time you roll through, and apparently its really squirrelly in loose stuff. They are pretty cool trucks still, I just dont think I would spend >60k US for a leaf sprung truck designed in the 80s.

The 105's are pretty cool though, basically a stripped down 100 series with a solid axle.

I would rather just have a restored 80 series because parts are actually available in this country and RHD cars are a pain over here.

80 series land cruiser futures

Understood.

My wanting is for lhd versions. Converted to usd, the most expensive is $55k (i know you can't necessarily do a direct conversion, but if I moved to Australia and bought a new glx wagon, I would not be spending $70k USD out the door pre mods). It seems that users spend a lot on them, after initial purchase to do things like address wheel offset, chip the turbos, etc.

Just dreaming....
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 07-15-2017 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    you gonna post it up here?
    https://wenatchee.craigslist.org/cto...206552052.html

Here you go.

"Works all the time. Too reliable. Trade for shitbox needing thousands in repairs."

Saw a few FJ80s on the trail today. Truly an awesome vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    "Works all the time. Too reliable. Trade for shitbox needing thousands in repairs."

Saw a few FJ80s on the trail today. Truly an awesome vehicle.
    No joke. I'm not sure why we're selling it, probably the blandness of it.

No joke. I'm not sure why we're selling it, probably the blandness of it.
    This what it comes down to, vanity.

Can't decide if I'd rather be vane or judgmental....or just have a need to tell people how to spend their own money.

Not meant to be a thread hijack, but what do you all think is a reasonable price for a WA legal '90 4runner with 150k on the body and '83 mercedes turbodiesel(220k mi)/toyota 5spd 4x4 powering it? Thinking of listing it in SEA/PDX/DEN/SF

Thats like saying you own a house in washington and asking what its worth.

Given the information, I would say between 1,500 and 15,000.

You should start a new thread and post photos.

What single said.
    But I may be interested...does the title say gas or diesel? Have to deal with emissions here unfortunately.
    Also does it have working ac?

All this 80 series talk has made me dust off my 96 with the locking diffs. Getting the ac charged right now. Only 166k on it, been a mostly inactive third car but thinking about putting some $ into it and using as a dd. It's a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    the later ones basically use 4runner running gear, transmission, engine, (well they put that 4.7 in everything) and had weaker 2 pinion front diff.
    For what it's worth, only the first couple years of the 100s had a 2 pinion front. 2000+ were all 4 pinion. The 2uz started in the 100s and later ended up in the Tundra and Sequoia. It made it to the 4Runner/GX last. The A343F (early 100 series) is the same trans that was in the 95+ 80 series. You might say the 100s are not bad, but you're still short-changing em.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Can't decide if I'd rather be vane or judgmental....or just have a need to tell people how to spend their own money.
    Aaron's just grouchy because it's hot out right now.

Beyond vanity we want something with more ground clearance and lower gearing than the Subaru. New driveway is going to be gnarly in the winter. Yes, there are any number of SUVs we could buy that check that box, but the low depreciation rate and relative low-term durability compared to anything else is appealing. Plus everyone will know that we're a big deal because we have a 20 year old SUV?

^^venza^^ :P

I guess what I was saying is that they are not as unique or as tough as the 80s, because the parts that were designed to go I to them, the later transmission, the engine, were designed to fit into multiple vehicles with lower duty requirements.
    Or you could say that Toyota overbuilt all trucks and suvs. I did beat the crap out of my past 4runners with no breakages.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by unitofstuff View Post
    For what it's worth, only the first couple years of the 100s had a 2 pinion front. 2000+ were all 4 pinion. The 2uz started in the 100s and later ended up in the Tundra and Sequoia. It made it to the 4Runner/GX last. The A343F (early 100 series) is the same trans that was in the 95+ 80 series. You might say the 100s are not bad, but you're still short-changing em.
    I don't know shit about various vintages or 2 v 4 pinion, but I have an 06 tundra limited 4.7l and love it. I bought it with 106k had them do timing belt, etc before purchase. I just put in leaf springs and shocks all around that was like 1700, but other than tires, brakes, and oil changes she's been a dream.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

I sold the 88 FJ62 I owned for over a decade last Fall. I loved it but the love affair started to fade when I could see rust in the quarter panels, couldn't talk to my kid due to the noise and, worst of all, the engine was just so underpowered going up the hills to go skiing. Contemplated Vortec but couldn't stomach the swap price and the fact that my wife would still hate going on long drives. Looked at the 80s series as I know a ton of folks who love them but ended up getting a LX470 for less than I sold the FJ62 for. Couldn't be happier.

I baselined it and am slowly modifying it. It's way more complicated than the 60 or even 80 series, but I love that V8. As much as I think of myself as an overlander or serious offroad guy, 90% of my driving is either around town, on a forest service road or to go skiing. That's when the V8 is welcomed. I can haul stuff, I can pass cars going up 90, fully loaded, etc. I even like the AHC ride - I was going to rip it out but now I'll just drive it into the ground and replace later. I still miss the FJ62 style and I miss being able to wave to fellow LC owners and having them wave back (no one waves to you in a soccer mom LX470... first world problems, I know), but maybe with enough mods that will change.

That said, with the 40 series going for big bucks, the 60 series rising quickly in prices, the 80 series is probably the next better investment. I'm just digging on my 100 series.

So all 40 series that are not rust buckets are high $$? More so if they have a v8? Collector's items types of things? How about if they actually get driven and used, but by a little old lady who lives in the woods?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    So all 40 series that are not rust buckets are high $$? More so if they have a v8? Collector's items types of things? How about if they actually get driven and used, but by a little old lady who lives in the woods?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app
    answering my own question, only shit snacks!
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/...query=fj40&s=0

though here's a fj55 that just needs some love. https://goldcountry.craigslist.org/c...218342099.html