Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Check the knuckle studs??

Seems good. Axles seals look to have been recently redone. Pesky heater hose was also addressed.

sigless.

Elko. I paid 4900, it's got 164k on the odometer. Ac did not work when the guy picked me up, jiffy lube did a quick oil change and purge, vacuum test, and charge on the system, and I have been freezing my ass off the whole way since. Truck cruises at 80 just fine. Needs shocks. But it's fine on the freeway. Some paint and new leather up front, and it should look pretty nice.

sigless.

As for only the locker or 40th versions being the only ones, when I threw my black one (no lockers) on ksl for kicks at $12k, within a day I had 3 guys who all wanted to come see it right away. I pulled the listing. I don't think it is a 12k truck, but 10 maybe. I am going to set this one up similarly.

sigless.

You going to flip it? What are you doing for new leather? metric?
    Last edited by single; 07-08-2017 at 07:46 PM.

I'll have to sell one of them. I don't need two. Just started researching the leather. Any tips?

sigless.

I'll have to sell one of them. I don't need two. Just started researching the leather. Any tips?

I would start by talking to Read Summerill Upholstery in Ogden. I think they do a lot of custom auto and boat upholstery repairs.

school me on the 1) LX air shocks thingy, 2) the front hubs, 3) mpg really that bad?, and 4) whatever lockers are ?? costs

also is 250K bad?
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

The air suspension is on the hundred series Lexus, and some of the land cruiser models. It can be removed and a spring and shock put in its place. It can also be refurbed, there is a compressor, a distributor doohickey and a bunch of lines, and some level sensors.
    The 4.7 v8 in the 100 series is known to run forever. Just change that timing belt every 90k or something like that.
    I've never owned a 100 series before, but I did drive in an 80 series all goddamn day today.

Thanks shred. I'll check him out.

sigless.

I'd consider the leather kit from Metric TLC. The guy who shred is talking about can probably install it for you for a few hundred bucks. Its not going to be cheap though, at least 2k parts and labor to do the front and middle seats (I wouldn't do the rears since noone uses them anyway). Plus while you're in there the center console, shifter boot and arm rests would be nice to recover. That brown with tan stitching is gorgeous. If thats too much money, there are a bunch of cordura seat covers out there.

If I had the cash right now, I would probably do the following. Recover the seats, paint and bodywork on the outside to make it look killer, maybe a new carpet kit if it needs it and clean the headliner if its in good shape. Go through the engine and make sure everything is sorted and baseline/flush all fluids. I think it would be pretty easy to be 6 grand into the restoration at that point, but you'd end up with a cruiser worth ~12. Its one of the few cars right now where light restoration makes sense IMHO, because you probably wouldn't lose money.

Plus I think these things are going to continue to increase in value, but thats just me.

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    school me on the 1) LX air shocks thingy, 2) the front hubs, 3) mpg really that bad?, and 4) whatever lockers are ?? costs
    also is 250K bad?
    1) Basin covered the air shocks thing, 80 series/LX450 never had air shocks (80's were made til '97). Only difference in suspension between LX450 and 80 series landcruiser is that the LX uses a softer spring rate which results in a more compliant ride, but has more body roll. Replacement suspension is not brand specific.

The LX470 and 100 series landcruiser (lx470=100series landcruiser, both started in '98) is a totally different animal. This era of landcruiser is significantly less "truckish" than the 80. Apart from the new engine in the 100, the most notable difference is that the 80 has a solid front axle where the 100 has independent front suspension.

2) 80 series is all time 4wd which is a driver for the lower fuel economy. Converting it to locking hubs is possible, but most folks don't think its worth the trouble for the minor gains in fuel economy and on road handling.

3) If this is a major concern, a subaru is probably in your future.

4) Lockers are a way to send traction to both wheels on an axle, regardless of the situation. Needing them is typically very seldom for most folks that go off-road, unless you are really wheeling hard. They usually add ~3k to the value of the vehicle.

These trucks are known to do 400k quite frequently, but everything needs to be well maintained or else your'e in for a lot of work. Assuming that is has been well maintained, you will still run into issues with electric window motors, UV damage to exterior parts, worn out interior foam, replacing driveline and front end components simply because the car has a lot of miles.

I would rather buy a car with 250k from someone who has dealership records and was meticulous about maintenance than from some kid who inherited the truck from their mom and beat on it that had 175k.
    Last edited by single; 07-09-2017 at 12:17 AM.

^^thanks guys both of you helped a lot ! ....i had an old 85 4 door a long long time ago 4 speed manual as i remember....it was brown and then rusted , so double brown, kind of stiff driving, but could go anywhere

as for #3 subies, been there, done that (92 wagon, 97 sedan, 08 sedan).....over them...plus they seem to currently be calling cards for obnoxious drivers where i live. I have had to add a "back off" sign to my trailer hitch on an f250 to ward both them and audis off and away from tailgating and other assorted acts....terrible, terrible drivers around here with those brands right now

by the way there are some 3rd row seats on denver craigslist for $100 total if this helps anyone. https://denver.craigslist.org/pts/6205812978.html

are these the air shocks you speak of ? https://denver.craigslist.org/pts/6208442534.html
    www.freeridesystems.com

Here is my use.... what is best year/model?

i am looking at getting a cheap parcel of land from 35-80ac in the sticks...it is relatively flat, but may have some hills that get somewhat plowed to get to front gate from main road on a joint easement. from gate property line I need to drive a ways to access a metal building/shop further into property....there will be no regular plowing done from my gate to building....i will have a skid steer parked in metal building but will need to get to it to clear from gate to building. blowing snow accumulation across un tree'd flat land is what I'm up against....

I am thinking of keeping a cheap LC in a small enclosed shed next to gate....and use it to get back and forth from gate to building,skid steer cannot stay at gate because there will be no power there and skid steer needs to stay in warm or plugged in for diesel....

Between gate and building could have fairly high accumulated drifts....I will be erecting snow fence to deflect what i can but it could be deep, i guess a snowmobile or even skis/skins might be more economical now that i think about it....but i also would want LC for cruising around on property during spring/summer/fall so that could not be done with snowmobile , skis/skins and i don't want a dirt bike

what do you think?
    www.freeridesystems.com

You should buy a 91-92 fj80. Slow, but truly bulletproof drive train. More basic interior as well.

sigless.

Here is a great '97 LX-450 with some great TGR lore. I won't put how on here but if you're really interested, I'll tell you over the phone. My buddy is selling it for $9k. It used to be mine and I sold it to him about three years ago. I baselined it, took care of the PHH and other problem hoses. It's got 222k on the clock. He doesn't want to sell but is leaving for some extended med-school for a couple years in TN. Here's what I know has been done by either me or the current owner:

-ARB bumper with 9k winch w/ synthetic line. I'll have to get the model.
    -Snorkel and extended breather lines.
    -Rear homemade bumper wings with tire swing out.
    -All maintenance records since 160k.
    -Center diff button and 7-pin mod.
    -Front axle and birfs either new or rebuilt...not sure which. My buddy had it done.
    -Buddy did new brakes recently.
    -New battery.
    -Not sure if the box comes with it.
    -New tires this year including spare.
    -Sliders.
    -Exhaust work.
    -Starter rebuild.
    -OME heavy springs (850/863) which gives about 3" lift.
    -Slee HD drag link and tie rod plus new ends.
    -No lockers.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Looks like a nice rig in the pics. Zombies on the other side of that wall?

Life Flight and airport stuff

what do you think?
    I would opt for an atv with good trailer capabilities for scouring the property doing whatever unless you need another DD on the payroll.

Park the (covered) SS at the driveway entrance. Put a deep cycle marine battery inside and get youself one of these for 50$:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170709_101237.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	209220
    https://www.amazon.com/FlyHi-13600mA.../dp/B01LX6J20I

You can have this for maggot money if you can persuade me to borrow a strapper and palletize for an LTL pickup.

Name:	20170709_114155.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	209221

Name:	20170619_112800.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	209222
    Needs a planetary gear. Best I can tell, you have to cut the 2nd stage impeller off a simple spline drive to enable replacement through an ample access cover. fires high water content snow some 45' with ordinary hydraulic pressures. Need to keep the shoot slippery with silicone for the stickier stuff. Pretty good on up to 2" rock if that's what you're up against.

I'll edit if the stupid pics flop

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    I would opt for an atv with good trailer capabilities for scouring the property doing whatever unless you need another DD on the payroll.

Park the (covered) SS at the driveway entrance. Put a deep cycle marine battery inside and get youself one of these for 50$:

Name:	20170709_101237.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	209220
    https://www.amazon.com/FlyHi-13600mA.../dp/B01LX6J20I

You can have this for maggot money if you can persuade me to borrow a strapper and palletize for an LTL pickup.

Name:	20170709_114155.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	209221

Name:	20170619_112800.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	209222
    Needs a planetary gear. Best I can tell, you have to cut the 2nd stage impeller off a simple spline drive to enable replacement through an ample access cover. fires high water content snow some 45' with ordinary hydraulic pressures. Need to keep the shoot slippery with silicone for the stickier stuff. Pretty good on up to 2" rock if that's what you're up against.

I'll edit if the stupid pics flop
    Holy shit that is the holy grail for snow blowing

and damn my machine is a New Holland LS 180 ! looks like those attachments are made for it

where are you located?

and what be maggot money for this thing, pm me if possible
    www.freeridesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Here is a great '97 LX-450 with some great TGR lore. I won't put how on here but if you're really interested, I'll tell you over the phone. My buddy is selling it for $9k. It used to be mine and I sold it to him about three years ago. I baselined it, took care of the PHH and other problem hoses. It's got 222k on the clock. He doesn't want to sell but is leaving for some extended med-school for a couple years in TN. Here's what I know has been done by either me or the current owner:

-ARB bumper with 9k winch w/ synthetic line. I'll have to get the model.
    -Snorkel and extended breather lines.
    -Rear homemade bumper wings with tire swing out.
    -All maintenance records since 160k.
    -Center diff button and 7-pin mod.
    -Front axle and birfs either new or rebuilt...not sure which. My buddy had it done.
    -Buddy did new brakes recently.
    -New battery.
    -Not sure if the box comes with it.
    -New tires this year including spare.
    -Sliders.
    -Exhaust work.
    -Starter rebuild.
    -OME heavy springs (850/863) which gives about 3" lift.
    -Slee HD drag link and tie rod plus new ends.
    -No lockers.
    damn that thing is pretty rad !!

checkin into this snow blower option from gepeto 1st
    www.freeridesystems.com

You should buy a 91-92 fj80. Slow, but truly bulletproof drive train. More basic interior as well.

i bet that is the model/code number for the 1985 i once had...i guess i should know that but i have to purge my brain periodically to make room for new data
    www.freeridesystems.com

i bet that is the model/code number for the 1985 i once had...i guess i should know that but i have to purge my brain periodically to make room for new data
    '85 would be an FJ60

That is fj60

sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    '85 would be an FJ60
    That is fj60

i think i always new it was a 40 or 60 something
    only took 25 years for me to get this straight
    www.freeridesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    Needs a planetary gear. Best I can tell, you have to cut the 2nd stage impeller off a simple spline drive to enable replacement through an ample access cover.
    sounds above my pay grade

but hoping to gain a neighbor that's a retired mechanic who wants to transfer his knowledge...

yet another education to gain...

i've got two of those PODs for my truck looks like same kit as that flyhi
    www.freeridesystems.com

sounds above my pay grade
    Nothing a socket set and a torch or cutting wheel won't fix.
    Oh, and the lube! Don't forget the LUBE

yet another education to gain...
    nothing lost here.

i've got two of those PODs for my truck looks like same kit as that flyhi
    Then, you know how kickass they are. Turns the 4cyl over crisper than a hardwired 200amp car starter every time. Damn thing is like a get out of jail free card.

I was thinkin 420,000 Magtoneons. Like the Rupee, only worth a little less.

Or maybe I hold (the blower) for ransom until you build a salable version of bibs so we can all throw the rest of this shit away.

One better - where's my Anorak with the kangaroo pouch so that I can carry my personal shape charges and indiscriminately blast my chosen fall line. Huh! When will that be available?