Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    What's the deal for long-term storage of the Sawyer filters? Mine's about 5yrs old now and has been sitting (completely dry) for about a year without use. Looking to use it for an upcoming trip but not sure A) it's safe to use, and B) if so, is it simple as flushing some sink water through it before? I read mixed things on this online. Thanks!

My Katadyn befree bottle is ridiculously easy to use, end up using mine over everyone else's straws and stuff. Take off lid, hold bottle in stream, put lid back on, pour it into bladder or water bottles. From what I've read just a filter is good for the sources I use (creeks in the mountains)

Not sure if this was covered, but just saw the headline of this thread and read the first page. We do a good bit of elk hunting in the back country here in Colorado. 4 or 5 day trips, not possible to bring enough water. We have had awesome luck with the aquamira drops and in many seasons have never gotten sick. Only issue, you need to find clear running water. Water out of a mudhole probably would taste like shit no matter what you used to filter it.

Taste waaaaay better then iodine tablets.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    What's the deal for long-term storage of the Sawyer filters? Mine's about 5yrs old now and has been sitting (completely dry) for about a year without use. Looking to use it for an upcoming trip but not sure A) it's safe to use, and B) if so, is it simple as flushing some sink water through it before? I read mixed things on this online. Thanks!
    I'm not at all qualified to answer this, but when I'm done using it, I typically back flush, then push some water with a few drops of bleach through it, then blow the water out and set it upright to drain. I imagine it's fine to sit indefinitely after that. I typically push a few ounces of water onto the ground before I start drinking just in case, but I've not noticed any funky tastes or issues. If you're concerned, you could do the bleach water thing before using it.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.