Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Treating water on long rides

I loathe my camelback. I can carry everything I need in two feed-bags and jersey pockets.

On longggg rides I typically carry 2-3 bottles and iodine tabs, but thinking of getting a steri-pen.

Anyone use one? Better solutions?

Not really what you're looking for but, I started using a Source Hipster early last year because regular packs were impeding my breathing and I always felt restricted and sweaty. I really like it because the weight is all down low and supported by my hip bones. The only issue I have is that as the water level goes down it seems to loosen so I need to stop and snug it up. I don't use the harness that comes with it so I put a clip on it and just clip it to my shirt to hold the hose so it's easily accessible. I want to try the similar one from Dakine because it actually has reasonable storage.

There are new water bottles that filter in the spout and you can fill from any source. I'd rather just have a huge camelback of tap, but check it out if it's your cup.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I'm in a similar boat. Even a 100 oz camelbak is insufficient on long rides during the hot months. I was thinking a squeeze filter, but that could get tedious? Running friends typically carry a steripen and an emergency stash of iodine pills in case the pen dies.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    There are new water bottles that filter in the spout and you can fill from any source. I'd rather just have a huge camelback of tap, but check it out if it's your cup.
    I have a steripen for traveling, works well (haven't gotten sick), but I'd probably use one of those bottles with filter built in instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Get a sawyer squeeze or mini. Smaller and less weight than a steri pen and no batteries.

I have a steri pen. It works ok but can be a little tempermental and I don't like relying on or carrying extra batteries.

I can sell it to you if you'd like

http://lifestraw.com/products/lifestraw/
    Drink directly from the creek, or fill your bottle and drink through the straw later on.

I pick a nice, fast flowing part of a little creek, and then make sure to drink a bunch of alcohol later.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I use a steri pen for backpacking and some rides I think it works great. If I am doing a ride long enough to need steri pen I have my emergency kit that always has extra set of batteries so the battery issue is not a big deal to me. Above treeline I will drink straight from creek in areas I know there are not cattle or sheep up stream or a lot of human traffic.

I use a steripen, it's worked well for me. But you need to be sure that it fits in the neck of whatever bottle you're using. Wouldn't trust it in a bladder.

Lifestraw. I've seen too many steri-pens fail when you really need them.

Just drink whatever water you come upon. Once you endure one or two episodes of a couple days of projectile vomiting and pissing out your ass, you should be good to go. Or so I've heard.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Get a sawyer squeeze or mini. Smaller and less weight than a steri pen and no batteries.

I have a steri pen. It works ok but can be a little tempermental and I don't like relying on or carrying extra batteries.

I can sell it to you if you'd like
    PM me

it might seem obvious but I thot I should mention drinking a bunch of water before you go
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Sawyer. Lifestraw is handy, but not ideal for carrying water, and drinking on the go.

TT, you using the feedbags that hang on the bar? I tried one, and it wasn't for me. Trying to figure out a way to carry tools and food without a full pack. Anybody using a fanny pack type thing? One of those for food and a bottle, a small frame bag for tools, and a couple water bottles on the frame seems like a good setup for single-day rides. Maybe even trim it down to two bottles if I'm carrying a filter.

I carry about four of these in my pack. Never had to use them until a week ago on a hot day that turned out to be more hike a bike than I anticipated.

https://www.backcountry.com/katadyn-...ts-30-pack?s=a

If you were willing to go hydratioon pack way, some have in-line filters like Geigerrig

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    http://lifestraw.com/products/lifestraw/
    Drink directly from the creek, or fill your bottle and drink through the straw later on.
    I had to do close to 100 km with only a lifestraw when a re-supply store was not open as planned. It worked but man do you have to suck hard for your water. The roof of my mouth was all cut up and took almost 2 weeks to recover.
    Just an FYI as it was not pleasant. Iodine for me next time.

I'll vouch for the Sawyer. I have the larger one than the mini and I *still* carry it on rides over a couple hours. The "big" unit weighs something like 3oz.

Just don't let it freeze.

Katadyn too big and heavy?

I love the Steripen but like others have had reliability/battery issues on my friend's unit. Now I just use a Katadyn. Haven't looked into the Sawyer options.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Returning from the rabbit hole to present some more options.

MSR Trailshot
    https://www.msrgear.com/water/trailshot

Katadyn BeFree
    https://www.katadyn.com/us/us/14946-...ion-system_usa

Grayl
    https://www.thegrayl.com/

Grayl filters more stuff, but the filter has limited uses, and it's more expensive than some other options. BeFree looks like a Sawyer Squeeze clone. My right hand is strong-like-bull, but I could see the MSR getting tiring.
    Last edited by bagtagley; 07-05-2017 at 01:04 PM.

Those with Steripen problems -- what issues have you had?

I haven't used mine that much, but so far, so good. Wondering what kind of problems to expect.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

^^^ I was on a long hike with some friends; we had two Steripens (one brand new) and a Lifestraw among about six guys, and figured we were covered. At the end of a hellish long hike, we were out of water when we finally hit a stream. Both pens failed; just wouldn't work. Change of batteries didn't help. They simply would not turn on. I would never use one without a backup filter that doesn't require power to work.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Katadyn too big and heavy?
    Short answer - yes.

The Sawyer, for me, is a no-brainer on rides more than one water-bottle big (that I know will have available water). I no longer even carry a bladder in my pack.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post

Grayl
    https://www.thegrayl.com/

Grayl filters more stuff, but the filter has limited uses, and it's more expensive than some other options. BeFree looks like a Sawyer Squeeze clone. My right hand is strong-like-bull, but I could see the MSR getting tiring.
    This seems pretty rad and you get 300 uses of the filter before it needs replacing. The replacement filters are also $25, not bad. Kinda bulky to take on a ride, but for backpacking it seems titsy.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.