Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Just throwing this in here to spread the off-topic post load for XXX.

I've found I do fine with no water for up to about two hours. When it's really hot and humid, it's prudent to load up on water before and after, but I haven't really noticed any detriment to going waterless during shorter rides. This all stems from laziness and forgetfulness, not from any desire to push my limits or anything like that. It's liberating, though. Keep a small kit strapped to the bike for flats and minor repairs. Ready to roll any time.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Sawyer. Lifestraw is handy, but not ideal for carrying water, and drinking on the go.

TT, you using the feedbags that hang on the bar? I tried one, and it wasn't for me. Trying to figure out a way to carry tools and food without a full pack. Anybody using a fanny pack type thing? One of those for food and a bottle, a small frame bag for tools, and a couple water bottles on the frame seems like a good setup for single-day rides. Maybe even trim it down to two bottles if I'm carrying a filter.
    I have one of the camelback low-rider packs and have been pretty happy with it.

Center of gravity was my biggest issue biking with a full size pack, and this solved that problem. The bladder is shaped so it hugs across my lower back, and the straps are a solid enough design to keep everything in place.

https://www.camelbak.com/en/packs/mo...5c66eb16b7fbfd

Another vote for the Sawyer Mini. Cheap, light and easy to use.

Wow, is there a way to keep water this way? Did it really work?

I've ditched riding with a pack for a hip pack and two bottles. Put a wolftooth adapter on my bike so I can carry a bottle and then strap down tube and tire repair kit. Definitely was thinking about emergency water treatment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Anybody using a fanny pack type thing?
    People have been giving me shit for riding with a butt pack for years now. Now that it's set up properly I refuse to ride with a backpack anymore. Hot, sweaty, always pulling at your shoulders.

The main reason to not use a butt pack was before dropper posts, when you had to work around a raised seat to move your COG and the butt pack would catch on things and limit your motion. Now that droppers are a thing I've had no issues.

I use a Dajo Burro. It came with two 1L stainless water bottles, and it has just enough room to hold the water bottles, a spare tube and pump and fixit stuff, my wallet/keys/phone, and any two of the following: elbow pads, jacket, lunch. (I can cram a snack in there, but not lunch unless I ditch either the elbow pads or jacket.)

Unfortunately they're not made anymore, so I guess I'll have to find another option once the last one I have wears out.

As far as water treatment on really long rides, if I think it'll be a problem I bring the water filter I hike with (forgot the name/manufacturer). But here in Tahoe there are several reliable and safe water sources, and the longest stretches without water are very doable on 2L.

Have been using the Sawyer Mini Squeeze and stoked on it! Thanks for the idea!!

Sawyer Squeeze or Mini for the win. Be sure to frequently backflush after use. Don't let if freeze.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Katadyn too big and heavy?
    Yes, and also slower than the Sawyer Squeeze or Mini, which IMO have rendered obsolete expensive heavier pump filters.

Steripen was a flop for us. It doesn't work with silty water, weighs more than a Squeeze and fails too often.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    I've ditched riding with a pack for a hip pack and two bottles. Put a wolftooth adapter on my bike so I can carry a bottle and then strap down tube and tire repair kit. Definitely was thinking about emergency water treatment.
    Which fanny pack are you rocking?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    I have one of the camelback low-rider packs and have been pretty happy with it.

Center of gravity was my biggest issue biking with a full size pack, and this solved that problem. The bladder is shaped so it hugs across my lower back, and the straps are a solid enough design to keep everything in place.

https://www.camelbak.com/en/packs/mo...5c66eb16b7fbfd
    I like the looks of that one. I don't have a big issue with wearing a pack since I've been (we all have) wearing one forever whether hiking, biking, or skinning, but that one appears to be more breathable...which is nice. I suppose if I rode without one I would realize what I'm missing.

I'm really leaning towards the Trailshot. I like that it's a single unit, and can be backflushed without any additional tools. If there are pieces to lose, I'll lose them.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Which fanny pack are you rocking?
    High Above out of Bellingham.

That's a mag's company isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    That's a mag's company isn't it?
    is it? even better. Love the pack.

Love the Sawyer mini. Its quite versatile with the way it can either screw on or be used with a tube on both sides. Edit, oh yeah, or as a straw straight from the source. Light. I got a Platypus 2L (i think) and set it up as a gravity filter.

I forget where I saw this, I may have gotten the idea here many moons ago but anyway: I cut the top off of an aquafina bottle. You can fit the filter, the small vessel it comes with (16oz, maybe? 8? I forget ATM) and the flushing syringe (probably not necessary for outings of only a day or two, I'd suspect but depends on the source) plus the emergency straw attachment all inside the water bottle. The bottle can be used to scoop water from the source and poured into the bladder much more easily than trying to fill the it directly in many instances, like where you have still or slow moving source, stirs up less sediment IME. Done right, you might find something like that which snugly fits into a bottle cage. If people use cages anymore.
    Last edited by Jong Lafitte; 07-18-2017 at 10:24 AM.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    <snip>Done right, you might find something like that which snugly fits into a bottle cage. If people use cages anymore.
    I use a bottle cage... but it's for holding a bottle full of water.

Saw this on Pinbike:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/msrs-t...view-2017.html

I'd assume you could pull the pre-filter off and hook it up to a bladder filled with un-filtered and use it in gravity mode. "only" 159grams? is that right?

^^ edit - I see that was mentioned on pg. one, guess I missed it. Kinda cool.
    Last edited by Jong Lafitte; 07-26-2017 at 01:27 PM.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Been using a Sawyer Mini. For the price, it's hard to beat. It's nice not having to worry about hauling all the water I need for a ride, and it's awesome having an option when water gets low.

It's biggest strength is the ability to use it inline with a bladder. I also think it would be good for short hikes with the kids. Could just stop, drink and get moving and not have to carry water for everyone.

For transferring to bottles, it's a little clunky. Avoiding contaminating the clean water takes some finesse, and I'm really good at setting down small parts and forgetting where I put them. The bags likes to stay folded, which makes filling in shallow water difficult. You have to scoop, which stirs up sediment, which slows the flow.

I'll probably grab trailshot if a good deal pops up. No parts, shake to back flush, hose makes pulling from shallow water easy, and basically eliminates the contamination issue. Trailshot in the pack with the Sawyer attached to the bladder hose may be overkill perfection. Also gives me a gravity system if I'm camping.

Another vote for the Sawyer Mini.
    I plumb it in between a clean Platypus bladder and an old zip top Platypus bladder I use for dirty water.
    You can either let it gravity filter, or give the dirty bladder a squeeze.

Treating water on long rides

Buddy got an MSR Trailshot water filter. Huge improvement over the Sawyer squeeze I’m carrying. Virtually no chance of cross contamination, and so much easier and faster. It was quicker to fill all the bottles with the trailshot than if we used our separate filters.

Buddy got an MSR Trailshot water filter. Huge improvement over the Sawyer squeeze I’m carrying. Virtually no chance of cross contamination, and so much easier and faster. It was quicker to fill all the bottles with the trailshot than if we used our separate filters.
    Second for tge trailshot. Use mine for bikepacking w/ a bladder and all quick and easy to refill. Easy to clean filter too.
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

2 drops of bleach per water bottle. Costs a few cents, effective, strain with filter as needed. 8 years in the water treatment industry tells my there are a lot of suckers out there with more money than sense. I do get that instant drinking (as opposed to contact time) can be nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    2 drops of bleach per water bottle. Costs a few cents, effective, strain with filter as needed. 8 years in the water treatment industry tells my there are a lot of suckers out there with more money than sense. I do get that instant drinking (as opposed to contact time) can be nice though.
    How long do you have to wait before drinking?
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    All most "treatment" is is bleach with a 2nd step to remove the bleachy taste and smell.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Laps View Post
    How long do you have to wait before drinking?
    ~ 1/2 hour dependent on water temperature, a little longer if it's really cold water. Use only plain unscented bleach, at least 6% sodium hypochlorite.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy
    All most "treatment" is is bleach with a 2nd step to remove the bleachy taste and smell.
    Well, it can be with iodine, sodium hypochlorite, or a number of other chemicals if you are talking chemical treatment. But yes, some include polishing options. Portable filters often use physical filtration down to a specified porosity, not chemicals, but some historically incorporated iodine resin or other chemical treatment with carbon polishing. I haven't read up on the new filters in years to see what changes have occurred.

I just looked up Aquatab, and they look pretty cheap and straightforward so not a bad option, bleach is way cheap though. I used to use the old iodine pills before switching to bleach and I filter if backpacking. Chemical treatment is great for the clear water I am usually dealing with, for turbid water filtration can be a better option though assuming the filter doesn't plug prematurely.

Also, re: my earlier post, I had to chuckle re-reading that and then thinking how many times I have exhibited the "money > sense" approach to things on much more expensive items than water treatment, 4 fingers pointing back at me!