Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Adult ADHD

Adult ADHD

Who has it? Who has a partner that has it?
    How do you deal with it?
    How does your spouse deal with it?

I see something shiney brb

I heard vaccines cause ADHD.

Aren't drugs the answer to everything?

There's a pill for that.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverSurfer View Post
    Who has it? Who has a partner that has it?
    How do you deal with it?
    How does your spouse deal with it?
    Last edited by riser3; 07-02-2017 at 10:28 AM.

I'm the poster child. Smarter than you. For 30 seconds at a time. The rest of the time, not so much.

I've never sought a diagnosis -it wasn't a thing when I was a young man and what's the point now?- but it's super clear that it has messed me up my whole life. Either that, or it has enabled my whole life. Hard to sort that out.

I'd hesitate to treat it because, like bipolar, it has its upside.

That's a joke, kinda, but it's partly true too, you decide if that upsets you.

I have it. Diagnosed twice as an adult. Tried a few meds, but the side affects were unacceptable. How one deals with it depends on one's overall psyche. Don't make the mistake that idiots (including many physicians) do, that ADHD defines the personality. ADHD simply complements it, for better or worse, depending on one's point of view.

I'm happy to discuss this further.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Adult ADHD

I tried the boy's ADHD meds the other day...I did not enjoy them

(They do seem to help him tho)

[raises hand] so what?[ /raises hand]
    I do what I can, trying to limit the scope, seek smaller focus.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    I have it. Diagnosed twice as an adult. Tried a few meds, but the side affects were unacceptable. How one deals with it depends on one's overall psyche. Don't make the mistake that idiots (including many physicians) do, that ADHD defines the personality. ADHD simply complements it, for better or worse, depending on one's point of view.

I'm happy to discuss this further.
    What were the side effects?

Lethargy.

Last time was a while ago, but that is what I remember feeling. There may have been an "anti-ADHD" effect to some extent, but a part of "me" went AWOL during that time. Not worth it,

As I posted earlier (vide supra), ADHD complements who you are. But it ain't the real you, so don't let it define you.
    Last edited by Viva; 07-02-2017 at 12:18 PM.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

One side effect I see is loss of appetite

Let me scroll back up to read the title again...
    But yeah.

Pot, alcohol and aphetamines. Now it makes so much sense, as a young hyperactive spaz, that when I did coke I got real quiet and just sat around.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Pot, alcohol and aphetamines. .
    My magic trifecta.

Like I said, there's a pill for that.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

ADHD is a blessing and a curse.

Meds: Strattera FTW
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Here is a YouTube live feed where you can just watch Kittens. And some woman's feet.

This seems as good a place as any.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Doesn't surprise me at all that you'd find a bunch of people here afflicted by ADD/ADHD.

I have a friend that's a contractor and he seems to focus pretty well most of the time but when he's on ladders or using power tools I worry. I think it had a lot to do with a life altering wreck he had on his road bike a few years ago.

Hand raised. I find my indica habit helps personally. I was diagnosed as a kid, took Ritalin for a handful of years in grade school. Still never seemed to pay attention though I think that was boredom partially. The affliction keeps me busy. Makes it hard to sleep sometimes though mind never stops. I don't mind it or let it bother me. Never officially diagnosed as an adult, but.....

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Thanks for all the honest responses.

I was diagnosed recently and that diagnosis had helped explain so much of my life. For the most part though I have learned how to deal with the downsides and am not to bothered by them, and I do actually enjoy when I become laser focused on something and am able to accomplish things that would be more difficult for Neuro typical people.

My extreme inattentiveness is causing a lot of problems for my marriage though. Adults with ADHD have double the divorce rate of non ADHD couples and I definitely see why.

Wife comes in with paperwork for me to sign the other day. Points to the line and says twice "print here, sign here". "Yeah, okay", as I reach for the pen and sign where I was supposed to print.

That sort of stuff constantly. She's at her limit. Especially, because she tries to control my ADHD , which of course is not possible.

I have been trying to control it with meditation and homeopathic remedies, as well as vitamins, which all seemed helpful initially. But, is not enough.

At this point I think it's gotten to where I need the medication to save my marriage.

Thanks for the Strattera recommendation, that actually looks like what I need.

Appreciate all of you.

Strattera changed (saved?) my life. Well not my life, but my career. 40 mg 1x day. Order it through Canada Pharmacy. 1/3rd the price. Have been taking it everyday for 15 years.

I'll never forget the first time I took it, literally the outside noise just stopped and I went into the "zone." Not so different from from that moment where everything suddenly becomes crystal clear while on psychopsilocybin; sans the hallucinations of course...

Other free advice: Do not take any stimulants such as caffeine, energy drinks, etc, unless you want your ADHD to go into hyperdrive. Think Beavis/Cornholio after 3 cappachinos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXBI-0jLbbc
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    One side effect I see is loss of appetite
    Adderall/Ritalin are well known appetite suppressants. One reason they are so overused.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post

I'll never forget the first time I took it, literally the outside noise just stopped and I went into the "zone."
    Wait! I've seen that movie.

A good friend of mine has it and is also a psychologist. It causes a lot of the same issues in his marriage that you describe. PM me for contact info if you want.