Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I only bike so I can stay in shape to ski.

I've just been more into bikes than skiing the last few years. This ski season had some really good days up at the local place though. Still, I don't think I even was up there 10 times. Strava says I've done 114 rides this year. 194 last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    The best ski day beats the pants off the best bike day.

But an average bike day beats the pants off an average ski day.
    Meh. A great day on the bike is roughly equivalent to the WROD in my book. It's just something to do until it snows again.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Meh. A great day on the bike is roughly equivalent to the WROD in my book. It's just something to do until it snows again.
    Seriously? You'd take WROD over, say, blasting down Doctors on hero dirt and peaking fall aspens? That's insane.

So many words. Bottom line = both are good for the soul.
    That Don't Make No Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Seriously? You'd take WROD over, say, blasting down Doctors on hero dirt and peaking fall aspens? That's insane.
    Yeah, pretty even comparison. No matter how fast I go on Doctor's, I can easily go faster on the WROD. No matter how much air I get on Doctor's, I could get more off a 1' bump on the WROD. And I can go anywhere I want, instead of following where deer/elk/cows/people decided to make a dirt path in the woods. That said, I probably have more fun on random adventure alpine rides than something like Doctor's, even when the ride quality is obviously much higher on Doctor's

As for the OP question, I'm probably even on ski vs bike days. But I can also get on the lift in about 5 minutes, so I can ski for an hour as easily as I can bike for an hour.

I'm riding singletrack to day care pickup today. It feels nice to say that.

I prefer skiing, but like both, a whole lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I'm riding singletrack to day care pickup today. It feels nice to say that.
    What type of conveyance for the kido?
    I pretty much took my kids to elementary school everyday via bike. First a Burley and then a tandem trail a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I prefer skiing, but like both, a whole lot.

What type of conveyance for the kido?
    I pretty much took my kids to elementary school everyday via bike. First a Burley and then a tandem trail a bike.
    I've got a chariot trailer. It is parked at day care now. I can ride a little bit of singletrack there and then pull it home via the paved hiker-biker path.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    I've just been more into bikes than skiing the last few years. This ski season had some really good days up at the local place though. Still, I don't think I even was up there 10 times. Strava says I've done 114 rides this year. 194 last year.
    Same here. I live in Helena and consider Disco my local hill, so a 2-hour drive to ski just means that I'm not racking up as many days as I am biking on trails 200 yards from my door. But Disco has kinda sucked the last few winters, so I just haven't gotten out much more than a few Targhee weekends.

The heat and smoke of the last 6-8 weeks has put a damper on this summer's riding though.

I get more tired mountain biking than skiing. Hard to ride more than four days a week, while I can easily ski more than that.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Yeah, pretty even comparison. No matter how fast I go on Doctor's, I can easily go faster on the WROD. No matter how much air I get on Doctor's, I could get more off a 1' bump on the WROD. And I can go anywhere I want, instead of following where deer/elk/cows/people decided to make a dirt path in the woods. That said, I probably have more fun on random adventure alpine rides than something like Doctor's, even when the ride quality is obviously much higher on Doctor's

As for the OP question, I'm probably even on ski vs bike days. But I can also get on the lift in about 5 minutes, so I can ski for an hour as easily as I can bike for an hour.
    What's WROD?

There are some trails, usually jump trails, that make you hoot, holler, and high five at the end, just like a good pow run. I don't think a lot of bikers realize how fun biking can be, and it took me maybe 15 years of biking to get this revelation. I only did XC for 15 years though, that's why. Still fun, but more like going on a long ski tour. It puts a big grin on my face but I don't get ecstatic about it...presuming it's not waist deep, ha.

But yes a great day of skiing will always beat a great day of biking overall, dirt paths are limiting, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post

But yes a great day of skiing will always beat a great day of biking overall, dirt paths are limiting, I agree.
    This. Biking is a sh*t ton of fun but who's kidding who, skiing is transcendent. End of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    What's WROD?
    White ribbon of death.

As corny as it sounds; I really love to ride bikes, but I AM a skier.

Skiing is better than biking. Is there really any discussion to be had?

Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Pow days are unbeatable. Here in Maine good riding days are more plentiful than good ski days

Usually hurts a lot less when you fall in powder, or so I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    As corny as it sounds; I really love to ride bikes, but I AM a skier.
    I totally get that dude and I would say the same thing about myself.

Same boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    This. Biking is a sh*t ton of fun but who's kidding who, skiing is transcendent. End of discussion.
    This.

I like the 6 month split. Milk the fall rides until I can ski and then milk the spring tours until the trails clear enough. At my age just try to minimize the shoulder season downtime. Almost twice the bike days/yr but probably even time wise. Touch more lift time in the winter and a touch less lifts/shuttles in the summer usually. Full year hack

I recently moved to a neighborhood with 500 acres of private singletrack. Most of it is pretty flowy, and not too technical.

First few weeks I was going almost every day, but now I've kinda gotten bored with it. The big problem with biking (to me) is that you can only do the same trails so many times before it gets boring.

I went to Breck last weekend and rode the bike trails up there on the mountain. Got boring pretty quickly once I started repeating trails. The repeatability factor is just not there with biking. With skiing every run is differentb

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    I recently moved to a neighborhood with 500 acres of private singletrack. Most of it is pretty flowy, and not too technical.

First few weeks I was going almost every day, but now I've kinda gotten bored with it. The big problem with biking (to me) is that you can only do the same trails so many times before it gets boring.

I went to Breck last weekend and rode the bike trails up there on the mountain. Got boring pretty quickly once I started repeating trails. The repeatability factor is just not there with biking. With skiing every run is differentb
    Like skiing , I find it depends on the trails. Ski touring I aim for minimum 800ft of vert for runs(preferably more) , biking 500ft or more. The up and down with little vert gets boring. Nice to get into the downs for a bit. Also nice to have differing terrain rather than smooth boring singletrack. I don't need to be hitting huge jump after huge jump just varying terrain. Our xc area are mostly blue trails(just different shades of blue) but they're constantly rolling and twisting with little bump after little bump. Always different little line choices to play constantly. Never boring. Same with the latest alpine zone up at sol mt. climbs are almost as fun as the downs. Shortish climbing challenge after challenge with nice little recovery spots before the next challenge. Just up and overs, find your traction and a good line then slow recovery spin before the next. Constant.. Downs are not real fast but again constant differing obstacles. Nothing crazy just constant fun. Will they let you dig in that area? Inject a few berms and pump bumps and little mounds to spice up the boring bits. Link a few challenging climbs to some fun downs. A little shape to a few sections. Something to aim for

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post

So much riding in Breck and the best stuff isn't on the resort.....if you are going to ride lifts Keystone or Winter Park are much better.