Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    i don't count my days skiing or biking. I do try to get out for a run, bike ride or ski tour 4-7x a week though.

and I'm with goldenboy, skiing>biking any day of the week. biking restricts one to the trail. Skiing allows for true freedom to roam. It is the best way I have found to travel in the mountains.

skiing just has something more to it than biking. don't get me wrong, I love to bike, but biking falls into two categories for me: exercise and transportation. Whereas skiing is a transcendental experience. I would bunch skiing and climbing together because I can daydream about both, get lost in my thoughts about a ski run or a sequence up the crag. I would bunch biking together with running and hiking, these activities are great but I rarely daydream about biking/running down a trail. There is one thing I like about all these activities is the chance for exploration, creating long 'sufferfests' where you link multiple descents/peaks/routes/trails/ridges together. I love looking over maps, whether its a topographic map, trail map or city map, and figuring out new routes.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    I went to Breck last weekend and rode the bike trails up there on the mountain. Got boring pretty quickly once I started repeating trails. The repeatability factor is just not there with biking. With skiing every run is differentb
    I rode breck for the first time this summer and I was blow away with their trail system and find it hard to believe one could get bored up there. You can basically link trails from Breck to Frisco to Silverthorne to Keystone and back, with everything from flowy buffed out trails to techy rocks and roots to full blown DH at keystone. Maybe you need to spend more time going up than down? that basically created a revitalization for skiing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mrburns View Post
    Not sure what this means, but it's summer so I figure it's worthy of a discussion.
    It's about even for me unless ski season extends into July, as that has happened a few times in the last ten years or so.

Given my location, there isn't much overlap however...
    Once there is snow on the ground the bikes get put away and I'm pretty much dedicated to skiing.

Once the snow melts though it's wheels on the ground and game on.
    I am fortunate that I have ski lifts, touring access and single track near by so that makes it easy and convenient to get out without the need to pack, load up and drive.

With access to decent trails, biking is always fun and it's a lot less condition dependent. But the maximum fun quotient achievable on skis is higher, it's just a lot more dependent on factors that are outside of my control.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    With access to decent trails, biking is always fun and it's a lot less condition dependent. But the maximum fun quotient achievable on skis is higher, it's just a lot more dependent on factors that are outside of my control.
    That's the answer.

Over 30 days with a new baby is not bad...

I don't bike, but ski season goes form November to July, so do you really need to bike? You can spend the off months drinking, fishing, camping and backpacking... Also getting stoked about the ski season!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1843.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	262.5 KB 
ID:	212201I've added more bikes to open more trails, gravel grinders are a blast. Finding long gravel down hills, forest service roads to ridge tops. I also ride pavement so there's that. I also manage to hit 3-4 fondo's each year, a MTB series and maybe a few CX races in the fall so when it snows my legs are up to it. Also, we ride all winter, at least 1 /2 rides a week until snow gets to deep, 1 MTB, 1 gravel usually 40-60 miles. So far this year, 130+ days on my bikes, last year was a 45 day ski season. My bike quiver stands at 6, same as my ski quiver.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    I've had a lot of years like that in the past but this is Arizona so it often just works out that way. The last three years though have been more about the skiing, I kind of burnt out on riding but being in school and broke has been the biggest influencing factor with that. Any bike that's a few years old becomes a money hole.
    Biking is a lot upfront, but at least to me, seems more practical. I agree that bike maintenance costs can get insane, hence why I don't fuck with suspension.

Skiing the past 4 years combined - 5 days

Biking the past year - almost everyday commuting, getting groceries, random trips around town (I barely use my car locally). Last year, I averaged about three 30-40mile rides throughout the work week and then a 50-100mi ride on the weekend. Cross bike is great for commuting, road riding, and light offroad dirt and gravel. This year, less road rides since moving out west but I go on a few mtb rides on local 1-track or FS roads a week.

Living on the east coast I pretty much gave up on skiing... seasons passes and equipment way too expensive for someone early career. Now that I'm back out west I might try to get a touring set up. Pretty much over resort skiing and the lift ticket/season pass costs that come with it. Although you gotta spend a decent amount upfront to get a touring set up. I'm starting a grad program now though so skiing is probably still on the backburner.

Broke is definitely the biggest factor. I actually skied more in college than i have since graduating - it seems like the overall costs have gone up considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    I recently moved to a neighborhood with 500 acres of private singletrack. Most of it is pretty flowy, and not too technical.

First few weeks I was going almost every day, but now I've kinda gotten bored with it. The big problem with biking (to me) is that you can only do the same trails so many times before it gets boring.

I went to Breck last weekend and rode the bike trails up there on the mountain. Got boring pretty quickly once I started repeating trails. The repeatability factor is just not there with biking. With skiing every run is differentb
    If you're riding trail that is more than just a green or blue flow Trail then the repeatability is a major positive because you're on a trail that requires speed and placement in order to really rail it so getting the trail dialed in is key. There's certain times in skiing where this is so in some technical areas but for the most part in skiing you can usually see past where you would be able to stop and there aren't a lot of blind corners. Biking and skiing are vastly different in that respect that's the only reason the trail is fun on a bike versus a canvas of a slope on skis.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    If you're riding trail that is more than just a green or blue flow Trail then the repeatability is a major positive because you're on a trail that requires speed and placement in order to really rail it so getting the trail dialed in is key. There's certain times in skiing where this is so in some technical areas but for the most part in skiing you can usually see past where you would be able to stop and there aren't a lot of blind corners. Biking and skiing are vastly different in that respect that's the only reason the trail is fun on a bike versus a canvas of a slope on skis.
    Agreed. I've ridden the Whistler bike park for 5 years and still love it every time i head up. Must have done about 100 Dirt Merchant laps and its still insane. Just pop higher, squash lower, hit berm harder/further inside. And so many natural doubles/gaps on the tech trails that ill never get bored.

I get this vibe quite a bit when skiing certain lines for sure.

Bike days vs ski days

I don't get bored biking because I suck and can always get better.

I love earning my bike turns and downhill fun, just like with touring. But skiing is so much more fun IMO. Biking would be closer if I was in better biking shape and was better. I love watching good riders, it's special for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I get this vibe quite a bit when skiing certain lines for sure.
    I totally understand but let's compare things. The level of skiing needed for a similar "gotta know the line to givr" is far higher and typically far more condition dependent than biking. Most good skiers don't hit that type of line all day long everyday like one might lap freight train to dirt Merchant to a line or schleyer to clownshoes ( continuing the Whistler analogy) now you are on the upper end of good skiers so there's that but I stand by my point
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I totally understand but let's compare things. The level of skiing needed for a similar "gotta know the line to givr" is far higher and typically far more condition dependent than biking. Most good skiers don't hit that type of line all day long everyday like one might lap freight train to dirt Merchant to a line or schleyer to clownshoes ( continuing the Whistler analogy) now you are on the upper end of good skiers so there's that but I stand by my point
    True. Definitely condition-dependent for many of the lines I get that vibe from. Some of em are only 2fers too before ya gotta wait again.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Thirding this.

Nothing beats a good pow day, and last year I pretty much only skied powder (very lucky as a weekend warrior). But a mediocre ski day is nothing compared to a decent day mountain biking. Again, I am lucky to live somewhere with access to basically unlimited trails within a day's reach.

A good day in the Whistler Bike Park when you are on your game and progressing, or a big pedal up in the Chilcotins (or new Whistler alpine @ Sproatt) is getting really close to a pow day for me though.

I no longer look forward to summer ending... it snowed at the Roundhouse on Whistler last night but I'm not ready for winter just yet. I guess I am just happy to enjoy activities year round now, whereas I used to not do much in the summer outside random hiking.

I agree about sticking to a bike trail being limiting. Compounded by needing to pull off for uphill or pedestrian.

That said the number of bike trails I ride each summer isn't quite countless but close. A couple dozen open space parks plus a dozen destination spots plus all around various camp sites before or after hikes. That's way more freedom than I get skiing, although I'm still primarily resort skiing. Guess I should start touring more. I like the downhill aspect of alpine though.

Also, certainly doesn't hurt my feelings hanging out in shorts and tshirt in the sunshine. That's a kind of freedom. As well as not needing to get up at odark thirty. 8am, noon, 2pm, 6pm all good times to start a bike ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Also, certainly doesn't hurt my feelings hanging out in shorts and tshirt in the sunshine. That's a kind of freedom. As well as not needing to get up at odark thirty. 8am, noon, 2pm, 6pm all good times to start a bike ride.
    This is what makes biking moar fun for me. Not having to rally to the resort with a million other people just to try and get "Fresh tracks" and all that nonsense. Skiing is so competitive these days, just to get a parking spot I have to leave my house at 8am and then sit in the lot for an hour before the lifts open.

Yesterday, we were on vacation in another town. Woke up late, went out to breakfast, went to the bike shop, chilled out. Then got on the bikes around noon and rode 20 miles, saw a few hikers and that was it. It was pretty nice to not be in a rush all day.

Of course skiing is great, but some days the whole rush to the mountain, parking, lines, etc etc starts to wear on me. Sure, sometimes we go touring too, but even that takes leaving early it the temp is gonna rise a lot. And really I think you usually get more bang for your buck uphill vs downhill on a bike than skis.

Bike wins every time, and I love skiing.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Yep, the relaxed pace and not having to leave the house at 5:45am to beat everyone else to Whistler on a powder day sure is nice.

Looking at Strava (for tracking, I'm too slow to care about leaderboards) I will probably hit 50-60 laps down trails like Schleyer in Whistler inside of a season, and it never gets old. Always room for improvement, new lines, faster speed etc.

I love the relaxed pace of biking too. But I also love the relaxed pace of a normal, bluebird day of skiing. Skiing is not all about the big powder day.

Although biking has increased on my list of things to do, it is hard for me to see a day when skiing\boarding will not be top of the list. I like mountain biking, but consider it closer to exercise for the winter, than truly awesome exhilarating fun. (If it's exhilarating, then I am going to fast and the consequences are severe)

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    This is what makes biking moar fun for me. Not having to rally to the resort with a million other people just to try and get "Fresh tracks" and all that nonsense. Skiing is so competitive these days, just to get a parking spot I have to leave my house at 8am and then sit in the lot for an hour before the lifts open.

Yesterday, we were on vacation in another town. Woke up late, went out to breakfast, went to the bike shop, chilled out. Then got on the bikes around noon and rode 20 miles, saw a few hikers and that was it. It was pretty nice to not be in a rush all day.

Of course skiing is great, but some days the whole rush to the mountain, parking, lines, etc etc starts to wear on me. Sure, sometimes we go touring too, but even that takes leaving early it the temp is gonna rise a lot. And really I think you usually get more bang for your buck uphill vs downhill on a bike than skis.
    This ski crowds and general mentality of the ski industry and folks who partake have been a major turn off to skiing lately...

And not having to to suit up like an astronaut in layers of plastic and clicking into all these pieces. I can just wear shorts and a t shirt (helmet too), hop over the saddle and start pedaling anywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Bingo. Depending on weather, I do each several days a week for seven months a year (there is some overlap). I'm in Tahoe, so I have pretty much unlimited access to both within a few minutes, directly from the front door on the bike if I choose. I actually feel like they are yin and yang, I need to get on the bike to recharge and appreciate snowboarding, and vice versa.
    In winter, addition to getting up early, beating the crowds (and the sun), and getting dressed, there's shoveling out the car, checking snow and avalanche reports, and the anxiety of guestimating where the most fun can be had that day or where you might get hosed by a KSL clusterfuck or lack of parking at the trailhead. The biking lifestyle is just so easy. On a busy summer Saturday I can go for a three hour ride and see maybe 5 people, finish off the ride with a beer and a jump in the lake. The dirt is good, every freaking day. Yes, I'm confined to a trail, but there are miles and miles of awesome trails on mountains that are not worth skiing, with downhills that can last for way longer than anything worthwhile in the winter.
    But while biking can make me giddy, or even cause some hoots and hollers, riding pow is like a five minute orgasm, over and over again, and scoring a big line can literally be a life-defining experience.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Several recent entries have mentioned the 'crowd' factor as a negative on the ski side of the argument. I find it to be quite the opposite up here (Northern BC). We've got nothing but space up here and a ski touring day without encountering anyone is the norm rather than the exception. Even the ski hills up here are basically empty. Waiting in line for more than 60 seconds is almost unheard of. I've seen photos of the parking lots on the Duffy lake road, as well as line ups on pow days at the big resorts down south and can understand how that would suck.

Mountain biking up here on the other hand is kind of a social experience. Not crowded by any means, but let's just say that you are likely to run into people. The parking lot at the mountain biking zone closest to Smithers (the Bluff) is kinda crowded (by this I mean 5 or 6 trucks) and at times, it seems impossible to get out of there without having to get into a f*cking conversation with someone.

mmmm...pow! Love that Tomba quote by the way. That dude sure added some colour to the alpine scene.

Bike days vs ski days

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Several recent entries have mentioned the 'crowd' factor as a negative on the ski side of the argument. I find it to be quite the opposite up here (Northern BC). We've got nothing but space up here and a ski touring day without encountering anyone is the norm rather than the exception. Even the ski hills up here are basically empty. Waiting in line for more than 60 seconds is almost unheard of. I've seen photos of the parking lots on the Duffy lake road, as well as line ups on pow days at the big resorts down south and can understand how that would suck.

Mountain biking up here on the other hand is kind of a social experience. Not crowded by any means, but let's just say that you are likely to run into people. The parking lot at the mountain biking zone closest to Smithers (the Bluff) is kinda crowded (by this I mean 5 or 6 trucks) and at times, it seems impossible to get out of there without having to get into a f*cking conversation with someone.

mmmm...pow! Love that Tomba quote by the way. That dude sure added some colour to the alpine scene.
    Good for you

Of course you have no crowds, it's almost in the Arctic.