Yellowstone short day hike recommendations

The Clan 2FUNKY is headed to the 'stone for a few days. We are camping in West for 2 nights then Teton park for 2 nights. Have a full day planned at snow king but was looking for some insight on some short day hikes that are a must do/see. Would like to keep it around 2miles r/t, may push to 3 or 4. Any insight is appreciated.

Phelps Lake in the Tetons, Fairy Falls in YELL.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

2nd phelps lake. 6 miles around the whole lake but you can just do a shorter out and back. (its also basically flat around too so not as challenging as your typical 6 m hike in GTNP in case you get a wild hare and want to do it all)
    This is the old rockefeller property and it's soooo nice.
    Altho parking at the Laurence Rockefeller Preserve is limited so you'd want to get there early-ish otherwise you have to wait for another car to leave before you can park.

How old are your kids? Snow king is super fun for the youngin's so that is a good call. In addition to the mountain coaster, ropes courses, lift rides etc there's a sweet park at the base too with bouldering, horseshoes etc for straight chilling while the kids play around

Tye- is Hidden falls back open now? that's a good short one but has been closed bc they were redoing the trail.

I'll think more and send you some more suggestions
    skid luxury

Fairy was on my list, thanks! Phelps looks cool.
    b-bear, they're 11 and 13.
    Thanks for your list.
    If I can incorporate some fishing in for me it would be a bonus but no big deal if not.

Mamouth hot springs.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Mamouth hot springs.
    We're doing the big drive up tourist attractions. Mammoth is cool. Kids will dig it.

Can't remember the name of the trails but there's a pretty easy one in YNP that starts right off the main road and ends at Lake Shoshone. There's another that starts/ends right behind the MHS visitor center. Not much in the way of geological features but plenty of wildlife opportunities...saw my first Griz on the MHS trail. Both are about the distance you're looking for, relatively flat and since hardly anyone ventures off the roads or walkways in YNP you should have plenty of privacy on either.

edit: Taggart Lake in GTNP is another easy one with fishing possibilities. Gets a lot of traffic though.
    Last edited by Garth Bimble; 06-29-2017 at 01:59 PM.
    The Sheriff is near!

Our favorite short "hikes" are:
    Uncle Tom's trail
    Fountain Paint pots
    Unofficial trail to view Grand Prismatic from above, (google it)
    Boardwalk walk loop to Dragon's Mouth Spring
    Observation point, (timed to watch Old Faithful), then on to Solitary Geyser
    Mt. Washburn Observation/Lookout, (good one to start with since you can see the whole caldera)
    Specimen Ridge to see the Petrified trees
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I think it would be easier to know what to avoid because as far as I'm concerned you can't really go wrong in either of those parks.

Lone Star Geyser in Yellowstone.

Short flat walk along river to a wilderness geyser. No ropes, no walkways, just raw nature. My kids and I took a shower under the geyser. Good times!

Do Old Faithful...but get there before sunrise. Watch sunrise, a couple shots, then cruise before the hordes descend. Same MO for most of the more popular spots.

Makes a world of difference in the annoyance factor.

After years of hiking in Yellowstone and never checking out the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, we finally did the North Rim hike last summer to the brink of the lower falls and it was pretty mind blowing. You can continue to Inspiration Point if you want, it's all flat and easy. The falls should be rocking and rolling right about now!

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    We are camping in West for 2 nights then Teton park for 2 nights.
    Just north of West Yellowstone are several trail heads along Hwy 191. Daily Creek is one. Easy level hiking in wide open sagebrush, real pretty country IMHO. Bonus fishing for native cutthroat.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I'm pretty sure it's mandatory to get a buffalo selfie, closer the better and the insta the shit outta of it.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    After years of hiking in Yellowstone and never checking out the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, we finally did the North Rim hike last summer to the brink of the lower falls and it was pretty mind blowing. You can continue to Inspiration Point if you want, it's all flat and easy. The falls should be rocking and rolling right about now!
    They were pretty monstrous last week.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    Do Old Faithful...but get there before sunrise. Watch sunrise, a couple shots, then cruise before the hordes descend. Same MO for most of the more popular spots.

Makes a world of difference in the annoyance factor.
    This. I'm convinced the only way to see Yellowstone any more during the summer is to stay overnight in Old Faithful and the Canyon area, see the sights from 5am-10am, take a siesta until 4pm, then see things from then until nightfall.

+1 to plug's recos

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Our favorite short "hikes" are:
    Unofficial trail to view Grand Prismatic from above, (google it)
    s
    Sadly, isn't this where they are building the new "overlook and viewing platform"?

Lots of great options. Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    Sadly, isn't this where they are building the new "overlook and viewing platform"?
    Appears so. Opens 7-17.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    2nd phelps lake. 6 miles around the whole lake but you can just do a shorter out and back. (its also basically flat around too so not as challenging as your typical 6 m hike in GTNP in case you get a wild hare and want to do it all)
    This is the old rockefeller property and it's soooo nice.
    Altho parking at the Laurence Rockefeller Preserve is limited so you'd want to get there early-ish otherwise you have to wait for another car to leave before you can park.

How old are your kids? Snow king is super fun for the youngin's so that is a good call. In addition to the mountain coaster, ropes courses, lift rides etc there's a sweet park at the base too with bouldering, horseshoes etc for straight chilling while the kids play around

Tye- is Hidden falls back open now? that's a good short one but has been closed bc they were redoing the trail.
    Hidden Falls is open for the summer, but going from there to Inspiration Point is closed. So if looking for a one-hour hike, go to HF and back. If three or more hours, take the Horse Trail up in to Cascade Canyon for the real goods...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Bonus points. The lodge has shared bathrooms. Pack a rucksack, look like you belong and walk in to shower and clean up.

Quite nice after a few days camping and hiking.

The thing about getting too far off the beaten path at Yellowstone is there are bears, and wolves...

i spent about a week camping at the campground near the northern entrance a few years ago. Woke up to the sound of wolves howling a couple times. One morning i woke up to a bison grazing right outside my tent. Our heads were about a foot apart. Talk about bad breath! Coming back to camp one evening, a couple miles from my tent, a large black wolf crossed the road in front of my car, and headed up the hill out of sight. Naturally, I stopped the car and started up the trail after him with my camera. I took a few steps before deciding maybe that wasn't such a bright idea.

As for attractions, my favorite that I haven't seen mentioned yet is Porcelain Basin. Also, at Old Faithful, climb the trail to the overlook. There's also several trails and boardwalks that lead off from that area to other geysers.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    The thing about getting too far off the beaten path at Yellowstone is there are bears, and wolves...
    Not worried about either of those as I have lived, camped and hunted all around the park in the some of the highest density bear areas. I know how to travel in the bear woods and will be packing spray.