Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

No More Kingpin?

German manufacturer Marker DE has stopped selling the beloved Kingpin ski binding in response to a finding from a patent infringement lawsuit brought forth by G3 Genuine Guide Gear Inc. According to legal documents, Marker stipulated in court in May, agreeing that it had infringed on one of three patent claims that G3 asserted against them. Subsequent court dates will determine whether Marker infringed on two other infringement claims, as well as the damages G3 will be awarded.
    http://www.powder.com/gear/g3-sues-m...664#sf93775664

Just read this and hopped in here to see if word was spreading. Sucks. I never got a pair because I kept finding Dynafits for cheaper. Am hoping the settlement will let the binding remain in development and sale. maybe G3 will start selling it...
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

Wonder if the Tecton brake catch design is in the same boat.

So this means the only "pintech" binding on the market with a full heel cup is being taken off the market based on brake design? Smooth one G3.

Since power transfer thru pin heels fucking blows this presents a problem should I break one of the two sets of Kingpins I have. Guess I'll be voting with my $$$ and looking at companies other than G3 for new skins (and other gear) in the near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

Fuck off G3, concentrate on sorting out your recall before trying to take other (better imo) bindings off the mountain.

Marker will redesign the brakes, or pay G3 royalties, and the Kingpin will go on. Marker has invested way too much into the Kingpin to let it die that easily.

So it's G3's fault and they suck because Marker infringed on their patent?

I kind of miss the good ol' days when everyone here hated Marker.

^ Was thinking the same thing...

G3 has every right to defend their patents. That's the whole point of filing one.

From the sounds of it, a major manufacturer willfully infringed on a small company's patent. Marker Volkl probably thought G3 didn't have the resources to call them on it, but G3 took a stand. Good on them.

Anyway, the Kingpin isn't going anywhere. Marker will just license the design or pay a settlement and retool the (lousy) brake retaining thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Wonder if the Tecton brake catch design is in the same boat.
    I'm guessing they're using the Vipec catch design, but then again, WTF do I know.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by m-ruta View Post
    G3 has every right to defend their patents. That's the whole point of filing one.

From the sounds of it, a major manufacturer willfully infringed on a small company's patent. Marker Volkl probably thought G3 didn't have the resources to call them on it, but G3 took a stand. Good on them.

Anyway, the Kingpin isn't going anywhere. Marker will just license the design or pay a settlement and retool the (lousy) brake retaining thingy.
    Here is the patent. See the claims http://www.google.ca/patents/US8746728

Fritschi settled and is licensing the patent. Marker could do so as well.

Keep in mind that Dynafit had a very strong pintech patent that they licensed for a long long time.

That's fascinating, Lee. The catch mechanism on the Vipec is so different from the Ion, and yet they had to license it? The verbiage in lawyer/patent-speak makes me dizzy ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Ohhhh! I love this when the pure and perfect lifestyle of the broke and dirtbag runs head on into the stark reality of business
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

According to my Marker source this is a US only problem, all other regions of the world are unaffected. Bet G3 are wishing they had a worldwide patent now. This has been going on since 2015 so it looks like G3 took action as soon as the Kingpin was launched.

If it's only the brake catch that's the issue then in the short term Marker could simply offer the Kingpin with their fixed rear AFD platform & a leash instead of brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post

word. G3 is a legit company, why file a patent if you aren't going to enforce it?

plenty of other heavy ass touring bindings for the rest of you fatsos

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    According to my Marker source this is a US only problem, all other regions of the world are unaffected. Bet G3 are wishing they had a worldwide patent now. This has been going on since 2015 so it looks like G3 took action as soon as the Kingpin was launched.
    Whew, that's good news. So they haven't actually stopped production of the binding?

Already have two pairs of these, and looking to get another for next season. They've been flawless for me.

Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrgha View Post
    Whew, that's good news. So they haven't actually stopped production of the binding?

Already have two pairs of these, and looking to get another for next season. They've been flawless for me.

I dont think they will be shipping any more to local retailers for the time being. Many retailers still have them in stock but mostly left over stock from last year.

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    why file a patent if you aren't going to enforce it?
    It just aint that simple. It's not uncommon for patent claim holders to forebear from enforcing some patent claims. Some forebear because it's the right thing to do, e.g., Daimler Benz allowing others to make better ABS and antilock brake systems in violation of DB patents. Some forebear because they don't want to expose their patent claims to attack and eventual invalidation. You might be surprised how often a patent claim holder sues to enforce a patent and the court eventually deems one or more of the claims to be invalid as prior art or per patent misuse doctrine. Starting a patent infringement claim process can be a very risky move.
    Last edited by DIYSteve; 06-30-2017 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by m-ruta View Post

The majority of patent cases do not involve copying a published idea but are instead over an independent invention. This makes patent law distinct from copyright infringement and theft of trade secrets because patent law alone punishes independent progress.

No, they suck because they make chinsey shit! Skins(or at least the glue) suck ass, the fit and finish on their skis suck ass, not to mention QC, selling skis that have no business being sold(at least without making it known skis are seconds)! Everything I've ever had from them, whether good idea or design, is just built half ass! Furrher proof---Ion.
    It's as if AMF was reborn as G3!

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Looks like they did file in Europe but it's still in review (8 years after filing): https://register.epo.org/application?number=EP09716177

So this may eventually affect EPC countries as well. Looks like Fritschi is listed as a licensee.

Tried searching for G3 assigned patents in Canada but just found a couple for climbing skins. I don't know if their external patent database includes applications though.

Docket fyi https://www.plainsite.org/dockets/2l...tschland-gmbh/

Didn't see court order on it as yet. Just a suggested court order by G3's counsel

The Canadian patent office dbase doesn't list applications fyi

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    No, they suck because they make chinsey shit! Skins(or at least the glue) suck ass, the fit and finish on their skis suck ass, not to mention QC, selling skis that have no business being sold(at least without making it known skis are seconds)! Everything I've ever had from them, whether good idea or design, is just built half ass! Furrher proof---Ion.
    It's as if AMF was reborn as G3!
    Yeah. The G3 Avitech Shovel, burlyass 320cm probe, and various skis I've had over the years were total garbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I'm not a fan of Marker DH bindings, but the Kingpin is pretty sweet. Put them on two separate setups last winter.

I have a couple pairs of G3 skins and they've been great.