Long shot: mountain biking near Sidney, MT

Paging all roughnecks:

Trailforks and MTB Project got nothing outside the Maah Daah Hey, which is probably too far. I am going to be over there for work in a couple weeks and wondering if anyone is aware of anything in a reasonable distance for evening/early morning rides relatively close to town.

I predict this thread dies a swift and silent death.
    Last edited by RootSkier; 06-26-2017 at 10:26 PM.

i've never been there, and yes it's a bit far, but go to Mah Dah Hey anyways. Camp out there over night after biking, then bike some more before work. Looks like just an hours drive to supposedly one of the best trails in the US.

Thinking about it. Sidney itself is already as far as balls, not sure I really want to keep heading the wrong direction that far from home though. We'll see.

No idea how far The Mah Dah Hey is from you but I drove over 12 hours OUT of the mountains to ride there. If you are into xc riding it is one of the coolest places I have ever ridden. I love it so much there. Best bang for your buck is the Last 8 miles into medora. Fast and fun.

go ride MHD

what are the best times of year for that ride?

depends on the temps and your tolerance.

Spring/Fall for me. But I have been out for this event as well
    http://www.experienceland.org/maah-daah-hey-100/

Quote Originally Posted by jetski View Post
    Best bang for your buck is the Last 8 miles into medora. Fast and fun.
    How is the complete opposite end, near Watford City? I will be a lot closer to that.

If you take 200 there or back, make sure to do the ride in the Big Snowy Mtns.

There might be some gravel road loops in the CMR NWR?

That maah-daah-hey trail looks cool.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    If you take 200 there or back, make sure to do the ride in the Big Snowy Mtns.
    Tell me more. Is this the Grandview/Ice Caves Trail?

I have been so busy I never even considered anything other than I90 but the Googles says 200 only takes 5 minutes longer and it would take me through a TON of places I've never been.

It would also take me right to some of the Rogers Pass rides but I'm not sure how I feel about going solo in that part of griz country.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Yep, classic pack trail up to high ridge to the ice caves. The mountain range rises out of the plains, very unique and scenic. Also very remote.

https://www.trailforks.com/region/bi...2&m=trailforks

I have been so busy I never even considered anything other than I90 but the Googles says 200 only takes 5 minutes longer and it would take me through a TON of places I've never been.

It would also take me right to some of the Rogers Pass rides but I'm not sure how I feel about going solo in that part of griz country.
    I hiked a couple miles from Rogers pass one time as I was driving through. Felt much more comfortable once I got out of the trees and up on the open ridge.

And the great falls river trails are pretty decent.

Yes. This ride is awesome. It's also threatened by RWA status in the current forest plan draft.

Climb Grandview, and descend Ice Caves (counter-clockwise). That's an all-time raw backcountry descent, almost as good as Rierdon Gulch was. But before dropping back to the lake, ride farther to the east along the range crest on the Ulhorn Trail. It's on on Trailforks but it's a system trail that runs pretty much the length of the crest. You can ride out several miles with minimal climbing and double back for the Ice Caves descent. Worth it for the views. Take some time to check out the caves, too. I found a bison skull in the ice last year.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    That's an all-time raw backcountry descent
    Thanks for the info, but between this and Trailforks' description of extended scree and continual root drops I'm not sure if this beater should ride it alone.

Thanks for the info, but between this and Trailforks' description of extended scree and continual root drops I'm not sure if this beater should ride it alone.
    I wouldn't let that intimidate you if you know your speed limits. It's a popular trail on weekends, too. We probably came across a dozen day hikers.