G3 Ion Binding Recall

Thought I'd put this out here for anyone with G3 bindings to take the look at. https://www.wildsnow.com/22810/g3-recall-ion-defect/
    https://www.genuineguidegear.com/ser.../warranty-form

Weak, good to know.

Dammit. Thanks though for passing that on.

My wife's Ion were bought from Glisshop in France, I'll describe my experience with the recall below, for anyone who is thinking of buying from Glisshop...

Her Ion 10s meet the criteria to be included in the recall, and also have two broken AFDs. The AFD's should be covered under warranty as the bindings are less than a year old and we have proof of purchase.

22 June : I emailed Glisshop using the contact form on their website, bringing their attention to the recall and asking what they wanted me to do. No reply.

29 June : I emailed them again, again using the contact form on their website.

30 Jun : I received a 'holding email', appologising for the delay, and saying that the hold up is a result of them having requested further 'explanation' from G3.

As of today, still nothing from Glisshop.

I sent Glisshop another email today...

Just had a phonecall from Glisshop. They said that the delay was caused by the French G3 distributor not being aware of the recall! She also said that everyone in France who works in the ski industry takes holiday at this time of year.

Glisshop are saying that the French G3 distributor will be in touch with me to arrange a pick up of the bindings. Let's see what happens.
    Last edited by Oceanic; 07-04-2017 at 09:00 AM.

G3 got back to me quickly, and I shipped the heel pieces off 6/30. We'll see how it goes. I had to pay the shipping to Kent, WA.

So far the hardest part was getting the plastic plunger out, which can be hard to do with Dynafits too. I used a metal dentist's pick to reach in and pull it out. A long #10 screw would probably catch in the hole in the center too.

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanic View Post
    I sent Glisshop another email today...

Just had a phonecall from Glisshop. They said that the delay was caused by the French G3 distributor not being aware of the recall! She also said that everyone in France who works in the ski industry takes holiday at this time of year.

Glisshop are saying that the French G3 distributor will be in touch with me to arrange a pick up of the bindings. Let's see what happens.
    Just had an email from Glisshop, they are paying for a carrier to pick up the bindings.

Nice of the overseas distributors to pay for the return shipping. G3 told me that since it's a "voluntary" recall I had to cover return shipping.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    Nice of the overseas distributors to pay for the return shipping. G3 told me that since it's a "voluntary" recall I had to cover return shipping.
    There was a response lag at first, but I am now getting good service from multiple overseas G3 distributors. I send in the recall turrets, they send me new ones immediately from their local supply. No international shipping was even mentioned.

A pet hate of mine is distributors outside North America who think they can also exist outside of the brand policies while still selling that brand. Often in flagrant contradiction of the terms on the swing tag. /rant
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I used a metal dentist's pick to reach in and pull it out. A long #10 screw would probably catch in the hole in the center too.
    A #10 screw? Not a 9?

I used what ever long narrow thing was on the bench closest to my right hand at the time.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    I used what ever long narrow thing was on the bench closest to my right hand at the time.
    Your dick?

Sorry, I shouldn't have done that. I'm a bad person.

ha
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    In the end it's Glisshop (not the distributor) who have paid for the return shipping.

damn

mine snapped on me in Austria in the middle of a pretty big trip. G3 was zero help to me trying to solve the problem and basically told me to go to a shop and pay to have it fixed. not buying again.

Quote Originally Posted by kapow3583 View Post
    mine snapped on me in Austria in the middle of a pretty big trip. G3 was zero help to me trying to solve the problem and basically told me to go to a shop and pay to have it fixed. not buying again.
    Was the binding in warranty? What were the logistics (length of trip etc.).

If (for example) you purchased the bindings in North America, had 6 days left on your trip, then going to a dealer might have been the most expeditious way of getting you back on snow. Obviously, the dealer couldn't be expected to eat the cost, and distributors ... well, we've heard stories (see neck beard's comment, above).

I ask this because there a lot of folks take blindside snipes at companies. I'm not saying this is the case with you, but at the same time, it's not exactly fair to just throw out a comment the way you did.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 07-23-2017 at 03:53 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Got my replacements delivered just now. G3 received them on 7/5.

Ready for snow.

Edited to correct date.
    Last edited by Meadow Skipper; 08-12-2017 at 08:51 AM.

I happened to have one of their recalled carbon probes, and G3 was fantastic about replacing it with a new updated one. 100% professional.

I was wary to send mine back, but we had a stretch of warm weather coming up.

I sent my bindings back on Friday (11/24) and received a brand new pair yesterday (11/29). Totally happy.

I think these new ones even have a slight improvement in the heel lifts (they “snap” into place)